In other news...

tkdguy

This is of relevance to only a few people ... "seismic monitoring of a slow landslide" (where "slow" means it hasn't actually slid yet, but you can tell it's going to).  Not far from my folks' place (they are in no danger, but will be among those inconvenienced if the eventual slide blocks the roads passing through the Union Gap).  Chase any of the links on the linked page to see pics of the developing cracks near the top of the ridge.

I was more concerned for a bit since we're close to a couple Rattlesnake named landmarks, but that ridge is quite a ways from Fall City.  (Though I plan to be driving that route in February) Hopefully they can help those people out in the slide area.

In creepy non-government related surveillance news.

Ohio Man spied on people through their computers for 13 years.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/10/technology/ohio-man-spied-fruitfly-malware/index.html

developed malware that let him take over their webcams and mics. Windows and Mac.

It remained invisible because the scale was too small. 400 Computers is nothing in the modern age.

Access to Microphones and Webcameras is not exactly "malicious activity" either. Programms like Skype, Teamspeak, Discord and most modern Multiplayer games do it as a mater of course.

A Rights management like you have on any Mobile Phone (where you have to grant a app explicit rights to stuff like the Camera, GPS, personal files ,etc.) could prevent that. But it is not really usefull for home uers.

Don't have laptop cameras

So do not have a laptop?

yeah he stayed small and there are readily available tools for hacking/surveillance. 

Rights Management already works on desktops as far as using your exact location and Cameras and what you can share. Why is that not useful for home users? 

Also, you can buy laptops sans webcams. 

yeah he stayed small and there are readily available tools for hacking/surveillance. 

Rights Management already works on desktops as far as using your exact location and Cameras and what you can share. Why is that not useful for home users? 

Also, you can buy laptops sans webcams.

Never seen a Laptop without Webcam.

It would not work, because "going app" applies a whole host of limitations and rules on every application. Right now "Apps" and "oldschool Desktop Applications" are pretty much two seperate areas of programming.

Bought a couple for work from Dell. And one for myself to avoid such things. 

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-laptops-and-notebooks/xps-15/spd/xps-15-9560-laptop/cax15w107s1637?view=configurations

Windows 10 environment I can control the location and camera permissions for most non malware. I'm not sure the gap between mobile apps and desktop apps is as strict as it once was. 

Other OS's may vary. Or I may be misunderstanding your statement. 

Florida Man, :"the world's worst superhero", can now afford his own headquarters.

Actually, the article about this young man seems indicates that he's the sort of young, chronically immature person who really can;t be trusted with $260 million before taxes. But then who can?

The article you linked literally says the opposite.

Larry Thornton, who said he coached Missler on the soccer team at Spruce Mountain High School in Jay, Maine, recalled that even several years ago, the teen seemed mature among his peers and was a leader who made underclassmen feel welcome.

I could, maybe.  I'd probably sit on it, doing nothing at all with it (relatively,  I'd buy more things of interest, I guess.  But, I don't know if I could break my miser programming*)

*At least I couldn't imagine myself blowing money on some of the dumb #### you here rich people spend money on.   Aint likely to ever have this scenario put to the test anyway.

Note:  Let's just say I can be Mr Krabs from SpongeBob when it comes to money.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. 

Edit: Specifically, a lot of people jumped in their cars and sped onto the roads, either forming a traffic jam or running red lights in their panic. At least one acquaintance of ours was literally flipping tables in her home (regardless of whatever was on them) to frantically build some sort of shelter. I don't know if the panic actually killed anyone but it's entirely possible. 

It it would be funny, except that I had to explain to the kids what all the fuss was about. And the fact that the threat exists in the first place. 

For some reason, it seems that most people's immediate reaction to imminent disaster is the impulse to get to a different place. I guess I can see that if the place you want to get to is "home" where you have more resources, or "out of the affected area" where you'll be safer.

I'd just like to take this time to point out that disaster can strike at any time, no matter where you are, so it behooves you to be prepared for disaster at all times and all locations. Keep emergency supplies in your vehicle and at your workplace, if possible. Also think about adding useful items to your "everyday carry".

Where were they trying to drive to, or did they forget they were living on an island?

Away from primary targets. Stuff like cities. If you use the nukemap, you might figure out where it might be save (in relation to likely targets):

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

While you will not escape radiation for long, it might buy you enough time to get rescued.

Now I do not know if that is news for any of you. But I just learned about a female version of hte Punisher from the last place I would expect: Pakistan.

I would normally say "bloody hell" about this news, but that joke is already taken by her name: "Bloody Nasreen":

https://www.dawn.com/news/1116114

Apparently it is finally going to become a released book "in spring", after nearly 4 years in the making.

Away from primary targets. Stuff like cities. If you use the nukemap, you might figure out where it might be save (in relation to likely targets):

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

While you will not escape radiation for long, it might buy you enough time to get rescued.

Since Jong Un's nukes are relatively low yield, there is some value in getting into a basement or reinforced concrete structure prior to detonation. (If you're within ten minutes of one, which I am not. ). Russian 25MT citybusters are another story; an air burst from one of those would literally incinerate everything on the island and it's arguable whether you'd even want to survive it. 

Honestly I was not too perturbed simply because the North Korean missile program hasn't earned my respect yet. But it's getting there. 

Since Jong Un's nukes are relatively low yield, there is some value in getting into a basement or reinforced concrete structure prior to detonation. (If you're within ten minutes of one, which I am not. ). Russian 25MT citybusters are another story; an air burst from one of those would literally incinerate everything on the island and it's arguable whether you'd even want to survive it. 

Honestly I was not too perturbed simply because the North Korean missile program hasn't earned my respect yet. But it's getting there. 

So there wasn't any thought that Trump decided to nuke Hawaii and blame Obama?  Hmm, fair enough.

Yeah, it was pretty bad. 

Edit: Specifically, a lot of people jumped in their cars and sped onto the roads, either forming a traffic jam or running red lights in their panic. At least one acquaintance of ours was literally flipping tables in her home (regardless of whatever was on them) to frantically build some sort of shelter. I don't know if the panic actually killed anyone but it's entirely possible. 

It it would be funny, except that I had to explain to the kids what all the fuss was about. And the fact that the threat exists in the first place. 

My mother grew up in the early stages of the Cold War. After seeing Bridge of Spies (during which she made the comment "We hated Gary Powers", referring to the U2 pilot who was shot down by the Soviets), she told me the story of when she was six years old and heard an air raid siren she not expecting. Terrified and imagining the worst. she hid herself in her basement waiting to die. It broke my heart to hear that.

So there wasn't any thought that Trump decided to nuke Hawaii and blame Obama?  Hmm, fair enough.

More like there's no way I think Secretary Mattis or his subordinate officers whom such an endeavor would have to be executed through would stand for it. One thing I'll say for this administration, it's increased my respect for the ethics and level-headedness of the US Military leadership by leaps and bounds.

More like there's no way I think Secretary Mattis or his subordinate officers whom such an endeavor would have to be executed through would stand for it. One thing I'll say for this administration, it's increased my respect for the ethics and level-headedness of the US Military leadership by leaps and bounds.

If you're going to nuke an American city without actually harming America (if that is even possible), Hawaii is dead last on your list of choices. It is the linchpin of America's ability to extend force into the Asia-Pacific region.

That's what makes Hawaii the goal of the North Korean missile program. Not because Kim Jong Un wants to attack it (he may be isolated from objective reality, but he knows that the American response would be annihilatory -- and he would be powerless to prevent it), but because a nation that can a.) send a nuclear warhead to Hawaii, and b.) have it come even close to landing where you aimed it will be crossed off everyone's Nations You Can Afford To Simply Ignore list. That's why a nation that cannot feed its people has 5% on the population serving in the military on active duty.