In other news...

tkdguy

In Canada, they put up "noise boards". Think of those "You are going XX miles per hour" signs intended to shame speeders, but with noise meters, intended to shame loud cars.

Some drivers turned it into a game, revving their engines and taking a picture of their high score.

https://jalopnik.com/hero-citizens-turn-noise-camera-into-hilarious-high-sco-1829225165

In high school, my friend had a Ford Pinto with no functioning muffler and he had twin speakers (3' x 1.5') taking up his entire back seat.

At the time, kids would drive around the city and when stopped at a light would try to drown out the stereo in the next car over.

He could put out an awesome amount of sound when he wanted to.

5 hours ago, archer said:

In high school, my friend had a Ford Pinto with no functioning muffler and he had twin speakers (3' x 1.5') taking up his entire back seat.

At the time, kids would drive around the city and when stopped at a light would try to drown out the stereo in the next car over.

He could put out an awesome amount of sound when he wanted to.

We must know the same high school mate. :P  (if the car's tires were so low that car practically glided an inch off the pavement then for sure)

On 9/23/2018 at 2:06 AM, Badger said:

Well, I have to admit I am a bit mixed on addicts.  I want to feel empathy, but I did have a friend in childhood, who had an alcoholic father,  and frankly the family would have been better off if the @$$hole had died off or something.  

My father was alcoholic as well, so I have sympathy for your sentiment. It took me a long time to understand he was as much his own victim as was the rest of our family.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

1 hour ago, Hermit said:

Cancer, we have a whole thread devoted to this sort of thing. Cut it out!

;)

Oh, go here  and type in 2015 TB145 in the search box and hit return.  Then click the "Close approach data" link on the page that comes up.  It was more interesting in 2015, when got as close as 1 and a quarter times the distance to the Moon. 

But, it's too much work to clean up the failures, so I left it out there.