In other news...

tkdguy

2 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I think a real test would be if deceased famous politician's face was used to promote members of the opposite party.  For instance, if Ronald Reagan's children (at least two of whom are fairly liberal) allowed his image to be used to promote a Democratic presidential candidate.  Then I'd bet a new law barring such use of digitally-reproduced images of the dead would get pushed through toot-sweet.

HA! Yes. I sit corrected.

That would do it.

18 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I think a real test would be if deceased famous politician's face was used to promote members of the opposite party.  For instance, if Ronald Reagan's children (at least two of whom are fairly liberal) allowed his image to be used to promote a Democratic presidential candidate.  Then I'd bet a new law barring such use of digitally-reproduced images of the dead would get pushed through toot-sweet.

That would be pretty interesting as Michael Reagan is very conservative (did a talk show for a couple decades if I recall correctly).

You could have advertisements for both party using the likeness of Reagan.

How about a virtual debate where Democratic Reagan and Republican Reagan debate issues?

On 11/7/2019 at 12:49 PM, Cancer said:

Monday morning (US time) there is a transit of Mercury.  Where I am, it will be in progress at sunrise and continue until about 10AM.

Transits of Mercury are problematic.  The angular size of Mercury is too small for you to be able to see it with the unaided eye.  But this event is Mercury passing in the front of the Sun from our point of view.  Put those together and that means that in order to see it, you need to stare at the Sun through a telescope, which I DO NOT RECOMMEND.

(Never look at the Sun through any magnifying or light-collecting apparatus, unless it's been set up by a professional.  Even then, make the pro look first before you try it.)

There are several ways to see this event safely, but it takes significant safety precautions and continuous attention.  This can be done, but if you haven't done it before, you are taking an unwarranted risk.  I have been in the dome with a telescope pointed at the Sun, when the heat melted the cement in the eyepiece and parts of the lens fell on the floor.  Fortunately, no one was looking through it at the time.  If you're really interested in this event, see if a local museum or educational institution is hosting a viewing session for it; those are much more likely to have the requisite equipment and expertise.

Transits of Mercury are uncommon (very roughly several years to a decade between them), but occur much more often than the less-than-once-a-lifetime frequency that transits of Venus have.  The next transit of Mercury after Monday is in 2032.

From NBC: Mercury is making a rare 'transit' across the sun. Here's how to watch.

On 11/8/2019 at 12:56 PM, BoloOfEarth said:

I think a real test would be if deceased famous politician's face was used to promote members of the opposite party.

As any voter alive who would recognize said politician would also recognize him as dead, I expect this would have such negative backlash as to be used as a tactic:  "Let's take famous dead guy Fred from our party and make a commercial for our opponent where said dead Fred supports our opponent.  They public will slaughter him!" 

So before we see dead presidents supporting across the chasm, I suspect we will have to wait for an election so hopeless for a particular camp as to create a situation where the only chance of victory is a crushing solidarity from the previously-unpandered-to Alzhiemer's vote. 

9 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

As any voter alive who would recognize said politician would also recognize him as dead, I expect this would have such negative backlash as to be used as a tactic:  "Let's take famous dead guy Fred from our party and make a commercial for our opponent where said dead Fred supports our opponent.  They public will slaughter him!" 

So before we see dead presidents supporting across the chasm, I suspect we will have to wait for an election so hopeless for a particular camp as to create a situation where the only chance of victory is a crushing solidarity from the previously-unpandered-to Alzhiemer's vote. 

Candidates have been putting words in Reagan's mouth for decades. It really isn't much of a stretch to add video to it.

I debated whether to put this here or in the "Political Discussion" thread, but decided the issues involve more than just politics.

57 countries sue Myanmar over reported genocide of Rohingya in historic lawsuit

The concept of holding the entire sitting leadership of a country responsible for ongoing crimes against humanity in international court is certainly a novel approach. I would be very interested in knowing what type of punitive measures could be leveled by the court, or the United Nations, if Myanmar's leaders are found guilty, if any; and if that might actually become another tool to curb extremism in that and other countries.

What's also intriguing to me is that the countries lodging the suit are members of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation, the great majority of them being Muslim-majority countries, many of which have highly questionable human-rights records themselves, a few verging into genocide. The Rohingya being predominantly Muslim, I understand the motivation behind the member states' action; but any precedent set could come back to bite some of them in future.

Matt and Ramona were talking about the cockpit recording where the pilot and copilot were arguing about the various alerts that were going on from the equipment like the landing gear not being down. The pilot was like it's nothing to worry about. The co-pilot and engineer are like this is something to worry about. The pilot is like I'm bringing her in, the copilot is like go back around. So the pilot lands the plane anyway without a nose wheel. He's like I should of went back around.

CES  

Is Ben & Jerry's misleading consumers? Lawsuit says 'happy cow' representation not quite true

From the article:

The complaint states Ehlers and other consumers can no longer trust Ben & Jerry's and are "at continued risk of real and immediate threat of repeated injury, including purchasing deceptively labeled and packaged products sold at prices above their true market value." (emphasis mine)

I'm sorry, but WTAF?!