In other news...

tkdguy

1) Decoding Daesh: Why Is the New Name for ISIS so Hard to Understand?

Arabic translator Alice Guthrie investigates 'Daesh', the new name for ISIS recently adopted by several world leaders because it delegitimises the group's activities. But how can a new name undermine a terrorist organisation? And why do the English-speaking media find the name so difficult to understand?

2) Trump open to special ID for Muslim-Americans: http://hill.cm/AI1swBo 
Twitter handle @irlcatmom: "this is literally what Hitler did in the holocaust. Literally."

3) Former ISIS hostage, French reporter tortured for 10 months: They *want* us to retaliate

Good. I hope they all get caught and get the harshest punishment available under French law.

I also hope that the nations of the West, including the US, can find the moral courage to continue welcoming the Syrian refugees with open arms, instead of giving in to fear and hatred like Daesh wants us to.

Oh, and an update:

But following that shoot-down as Russian rescue helicopters searched for the pilots of that airplane, at least one of the helicopters was destroyed by U.S.-backed Syrian rebels using a CIA-provided TOW anti-tank missile.

Dear Santa, for Christmas I would like to vote for a candidate in the general election who is a military isolationist. Please? I've been pretty good.

After hearing about the shooting of protesters in MInneapolis, I was almost sick to my stomach.

I am still sick -- sick to my soul.

When did we become a country where it was acceptable to use this sort of violence as a political tool? When did it become OK for gun-toting "vigilantes" to march through minority neighborhoods and try to scare worshipers away from mosques? When did mass internments and deportations become popular policy? When in this country has fanaticism become so popular and profitable?

I have two nieces and a nephew. What sort of a nation am I leaving them?

After hearing about the shooting of protesters in MInneapolis, I was almost sick to my stomach.

I am still sick -- sick to my soul.

When did we become a country where it was acceptable to use this sort of violence as a political tool? When did it become OK for gun-toting "vigilantes" to march through minority neighborhoods and try to scare worshipers away from mosques? When did mass internments and deportations become popular policy? When in this country has fanaticism become so popular and profitable?

I have two nieces and a nephew. What sort of a nation am I leaving them?

One very much like the one that you inherited.  It is just easy not notice how things are when you are a kid, especially if you are a white kid.

One very much like the one that you inherited. It is just easy not notice how things are when you are a kid, especially if you are a white kid.

Yeah. I'm old enough that I still recall seeing US soldiers patrolling US streets after civil unrest on TV, and when violent assaults on protestors (protesting violence and murders committed against blacks, ironically) were relatively common.

So things have not changed that much. Which is sad, because in the 80's and 90's it looked like maybe we had turned that particular corner.

Cheers, Mark