Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bazza said:

No surprise there. This was the base of the Lee-Ditko feud and why Ditko didn't work for Marvel for years until he created Speedball with Roger Stern's help. I admit that a lot of people outside comics wouldn't know that the three first Marvel creators didn't get along and Lee was responsible for DC and independents getting Kirby and Ditko work.

CES  

• 2 weeks later...

I pulled out my Infinity Gauntlet graphic novel yesterday and read it through.  I was struck by how much, vastly much better that was than the movies and it made me kind of sad.

But, and this is a very important qualifier, there was no way that the MCU version could be as good.  The comic book series was relying on decades of stories, characters, developments, and events over the course of comic books that simply wasn't there for the movies. 

They couldn't use Adam Warlock because the only way the story worked was because of Adam's very long history and incredible adventures with cosmic beings over the years.  All those bizarre and delightful Starlin comics that developed a truly amazing cosmic stories and characters, building the universe.  Marvel Cinema only had a few years and a few dozen characters to wedge into this story, so they couldn't rely on all that back story to set up the events.

Which is sad, because what a missed opportunity.  But they did okay with what they had -- not, I believe, nearly as good as some seem to claim, but okay.

• 2 months later...

Rumor: Marvel’s ‘Fantastic Four’ Film To Be “Sue Storm-Centric”, Reed Richards “So Poorly Depicted That Some Actors Even Passed On Playing The Role”

https://boundingintocomics.com/2023/09/29/rumor-marvels-fantastic-four-film-to-be-sue-storm-centric-reed-richards-so-poorly-depicted-that-some-actors-even-passed-on-playing-the-role/

59 minutes ago, Bazza said:

Rumor: Marvel’s ‘Fantastic Four’ Film To Be “Sue Storm-Centric”, Reed Richards “So Poorly Depicted That Some Actors Even Passed On Playing The Role”

https://boundingintocomics.com/2023/09/29/rumor-marvels-fantastic-four-film-to-be-sue-storm-centric-reed-richards-so-poorly-depicted-that-some-actors-even-passed-on-playing-the-role/

I'm going to reserve judgment until something more concrete than one anonymous person's statements come out.  We don't know what HIS biases are.

I'm going to reserve judgment until something more concrete than one anonymous person's statements come out.  We don't know what HIS biases are.

Same.  It does not sound good and it would be not exactly unusual for Marvel to do this but we'll see.  Marvel kind of has to do the XMen and Fantastic Four right or they can just write off being relevant for a generation.

The misguided Marvel movie and television projects in recent years have squandered a lot of the public confidence and goodwill toward their brand that they built over a decade. The studio really needs to get its act together and start putting out less quantity and more quality, if they want to recapture their loyal audience.

16 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

The misguided Marvel movie and television projects in recent years have squandered a lot of the public confidence and goodwill toward their brand that they built over a decade. The studio really needs to get its act together and start putting out less quantity and more quality, if they want to recapture their loyal audience.

Welcome to full assimilation into the Borg...I mean Disney...Collective.

Not happening.  They have a streaming channel to sell, so it'll be more quantity, quality be damned.

20 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'm curious as to what you consider to be big misses. Not saying it isn't true...just curious. Lately, it seems like every Marvel project is bashed to hell before it even comes out. In that environment, nothing is going to be satisfactory. I thought Age of Ultron was garbage, but I didn't assume everything was going to be crap going forward...which is what people seem to be doing now. Not everything is going to be Avengers (2012) or Thor: Dark World. Most things are going to be somewhere in between. Secret Invasion was definitely a miss, but I thought Wandavision was pretty good. I guess as a fan of monster films, I'm just used to quality being up and down and I don't dismiss the genre based on any one film or even a group of them. "shrugs"

The rumble about Daredevil (and stuff specifically released) sounds sketchy too, like having no Karen around in the Born Again storyline and Ben Urich being replaced by a female character.  We'll see when it comes out but given the bad publicity and panning of shows like She Hulk and Secret Invasion Marvel seems like they ought to be really careful what kind of things they do lately.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't much care for the Karen character in the Netflix show, her and Foggy were basically dead air time to fill minutes but she plays a super key role in the Born Again story.

Edited by Christopher R Taylor