Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

It may be a coincidence, but it did seem like the recent fan-disappointing trends started production about the time Stan Lee was in his final decline. We've all tended to give a lot of credit to Marvel's success to Kevin Feige, but I wonder now if Stan's creative input was more critical than we realized.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Starlord said:

Wonder what Thor's personality will be this time....

I wonder who'll play Thor this time.  Chris was reportedly getting tired of the role and only stuck with it because he preferred less-serious Thor, which Taika provided.

Then again there's another Hemsworth who's "played" Thor...

I'm not sure about that. Perlmutter was removed from heading the Marvel film division in 2015. Lee died in 2018, but his decline started with the death of his wife about sixteen months before. I would put the first sign of Marvel's foundation starting to shake at Captain Marvel in 2019.

Feige's reported biggest disputes with Perlmutter were over the movies' budgets. Ike is a notorious penny pincher, but it's become clear that those big budgets are only sustainable if each movie is a blockbuster, which in Marvel's case is no longer guaranteed. So he might have had a point.

it's become clear that those big budgets are only sustainable if each movie is a blockbuster, which in Marvel's case is no longer guaranteed. So he might have had a point.

I mean it was obvious from the beginning.  If your film has to make nearly half a billion dollars to break even you've gotten out of control.  Yes, Marvel got used to the idea of 800+ million dollar paychecks from ticket sales alone, but that's an absurdly unrealistic and unreasonable expectation.  Its plainly obvious that your movies cost too much in this kind of situation and those excesses have to be cut back.

The fact of the matter is Bob Iger stepped down and he was the head of everything. He was replaced with Bob Choprak. Choprak didn't want multiple movie contracts, pay for the productions, and only cared about how much money the studio was making on the streaming end of things. He is the guy who lost the law suit from Scarlet Johannson (which I can't ever remember happening before this), and pissed off the people at Pixar. Chopak was the guy who gave the Inhumans to Perlmutter and Buck and watched them crash. Chopak installed a guy to basically tell the movie division they couldn't make movies. This joker lost almost two billion dollars on the streaming service in two years. Employees found out they might be laid off through the news.  

You want to know what happened? They hired a guy from their park division to run the company during a pandemic and he screwed up, picking guys that had no idea what they were doing. And all of them were forced out.

CES         

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Sounds like lessons have finally been learned but that it'll take a year or so to turn the juggernaut around.

I'm not going to assume that.  At Marvel...perhaps, but at Disney?  They're still gutting ESPN, and trying to cram it into a streaming service.  Its decline has been severe, but they continue to cut, cut, cut...firing the experienced (read:  expensive) talent, minimal high-dollar events overall in pro sports.  They do keep their big money-maker, college football, but they're getting increasing competition there.  Shifts...no free streaming on quite a few events, more events on ESPN3 (streaming).

I'll grant:  Disney hasn't flooded the market with TV stuff recently, so maybe they've learned something too, but I'm not willing to give them credit *yet*.