Supergirl

Greywind

While I was hoping that Annette O'Toole would show up in this series, I was also hoping that she would have a role that didn't involve dimensional travel for her to make an appearance.  I was thinking she could have been someone from Cat's past--or possibly even Lana Lang.  (Hey, I liked her as Lana Lang--and just about every other role she's played.)

The same goes for Allison Mack.  Can't Earth-Supergirl have its own Chloe Sullivan?  I think it could.

I wouldn't mind if Carrie Fisher turned up on Supergirl, either.  Her appearance as Pauline Kahn was one of Smallville's best moments, and I hope she could bring some of that magic to Supergirl--perhaps as Cat's old journalism professor, or something like that.

• 3 weeks later...

I thoroughly enjoyed the season finale. Like most Supergirl episodes, it had its share of "don't think about it too hard" moments, but for me they were more than overshadowed by strong fight sequences and some genuinely emotional scenes.

Supergirl's Message Of Hope was yeah a little corny, but damn if Melissa Benoist didn't sell it! Maybe it's just cuz I've had a rough couple of weeks IRL and needed a pep talk, but I really felt it.

Breaking everyone out of the mind control early on, only to replace it with a different ticking clock was an odd choice narratively, but it did give Kara a chance to say goodbye to everyone, which made for some nice character moments.

I like they way they've walked Max Lord back from being a straight-up supervillain and made him a more complex frenemy/occasional ally, but still not exactly a good guy.

So in this universe, Kryponians can't survive in deep space? I guess I'm okay with that - and given the show's budget, it's probably not a bad decision. But didn't they use the "Superman can't help because he's off world" excuse just last week?

Speaking of Big Red Boots, the season spent a lot of time on whether or not Kara needed Clark's help; so it was nice to end the season with her saving the world while he's sidelined for a change.

Lastly: who do we think is in the pod? Thankfully, it looked too small to hold Comet. ;)

I thoroughly enjoyed the season finale. Like most Supergirl episodes, it had its share of "don't think about it too hard" moments, but for me they were more than overshadowed by strong fight sequences and some genuinely emotional scenes.

Supergirl's Message Of Hope was yeah a little corny, but damn if Melissa Benoist didn't sell it! Maybe it's just cuz I've had a rough couple of weeks IRL and needed a pep talk, but I really felt it.

Breaking everyone out of the mind control early on, only to replace it with a different ticking clock was an odd choice narratively, but it did give Kara a chance to say goodbye to everyone, which made for some nice character moments.

I like they way they've walked Max Lord back from being a straight-up supervillain and made him a more complex frenemy/occasional ally, but still not exactly a good guy.

So in this universe, Kryponians can't survive in deep space? I guess I'm okay with that - and given the show's budget, it's probably not a bad decision. But didn't they use the "Superman can't help because he's off world" excuse just last week?

Speaking of Big Red Boots, the season spent a lot of time on whether or not Kara needed Clark's help; so it was nice to end the season with her saving the world while he's sidelined for a change.

Lastly: who do we think is in the pod? Thankfully, it looked too small to hold Comet. ;)

Yes, they sure did just use that "superman's off world" excuse just last week. The writers are awesome.

Who's to say Kal'El wasn't using a pod of his own from the Fortress to travel offworld? Still, it is an odd decision ... 'unable to generate thrust?' - like the Kryptonians are taking in oxygen and shooting flames out of somewhere? Or waving their hands really, really fast like a hummingbird to displace air?

I've also appreciated Max's changes.

Not a bad finale for what it was.  Bring on season 2.

"You won't be able to generate thrust or to breathe."

"Alex...I don't think you really understand how I fly."

"How DO you fly?"

"Uh...I'm not actually sure of that myself. All I know is that I'm violating Newtonian physics when I do it. I don't need air to push against. And as for breathing--I can hold my breath for a long, long time. Long enough for sure to [REDACTED] and save the world."

I thought the finale was pretty meh. Most of it didn't really make any sense.

Naturally Alex miraculously knew how to fly Kara's pod, how to navigate it out of the atmosphere and lock it into a synchronized orbit on a perfect vector to collect Supergirl. Sure, it is possible that the pod had an auto-retrieve mode, but I don't recall a user manual lying around anywhere that would explain how anyone could learn to activate it.

And it occurred to me that in order for Kara to generate enough thrust to not only lift Fort Roz, but also get it past escape velocity, she should never ever have difficulty reaching any location in crisis in plenty of time (like catching a third falling victim), and she should never have difficulty taking out a villain with a single flying Move By. But I'm sure the writers will have Writer's Amnesia and expect us viewers to have Viewer's Amnesia and simply forget what she did in the season one finale.

I thought the finale was pretty meh. Most of it didn't really make any sense.

Naturally Alex miraculously knew how to fly Kara's pod, how to navigate it out of the atmosphere and lock it into a synchronized orbit on a perfect vector to collect Supergirl. Sure, it is possible that the pod had an auto-retrieve mode, but I don't recall a user manual lying around anywhere

In English.

"You won't be able to generate thrust or to breathe."

"Alex...I don't think you really understand how I fly."

"How DO you fly?"

"Uh...I'm not actually sure of that myself. All I know is that I'm violating Newtonian physics when I do it. I don't need air to push against. And as for breathing--I can hold my breath for a long, long time. Long enough for sure to [REDACTED] and save the world."

Alex also mentioned there was "no gravity" in space. Perhaps the series defines Kryptonian flight as manipulating a planet's gravity?

I really want to like this show. Really, I want to LOVE it. Melissa Benoist is really charming (and cute) and fun to watch. I even like Cat (though I hated the idea of the character in the beginning). And nobody can convince me that Cat doesn't know Kara and Supergirl are one and the same; she just backed off and pretended to be convinced otherwise when she realize just how desperate Kara was to keep her secret.

But...I find myself fast-forwarding through more and more of this show. It's just painful how badly written so much of it is. Kara can't catch three falling people? Iron Man caught eleven (yeah, they started higher up, but he doesn't have superspeed). Kara's sister Alex with a Kryptonite sword should be no challenge whatsoever. Do we remember when the Flash visited only a few episodes back, and they were pretty much on a par when it came to superspeed? Kara should be able to slap that sword out of her hand (using a telephone pole or a street sign if she doesn't want to get too close) before Alex can blink. Or throw something at it with super-accuracy. Or eye-laser it until it's too hot to hold. Or....any number of things. There are SO MANY things Kara should be able to handle without breaking a sweat, but can't because the writers are idiots. Or think we're idiots. Or both.

The nonsense about Kara not being able to fly in outer space is just...it may be the straw that broke the camel's back. Clearly they desperately wanted Alex to be able to rescue Kara, so they had to come up with some idiotic reason why it would be necessary. Plus, the villains have been hiding out in Fort Rozz all along?

When the government knew about it? Because, clearly, there's no possibility that the US government wouldn't be ALL OVER that 100,000,000 ton chunk of ALIEN ULTRA TECH like stink on a monkey from day one.

I'm still watching, but (assuming it gets picked up for a second season), I don't know how longer that will be true.

I think both it and Supergirl suffer from the problem of the writers knowing that they want something to happen, but lacking the genre savvy to actually have it happen in a way that avoids plot induced stupidity.

That said, just finished the latest episode of LoT and it was pretty good compared to the usual. I still can't stand the bad dialog they keep giving Palmer, but I've hated the character since he was introduced, so not a LoT-specific problem.

Kara should be able to slap that sword out of her hand (using a telephone pole or a street sign if she doesn't want to get too close) before Alex can blink. Or throw something at it with super-accuracy. Or eye-laser it until it's too hot to hold. Or....any number of things. There are SO MANY things Kara should be able to handle without breaking a sweat, but can't because the writers are idiots. Or think we're idiots. Or both.

This is one of my biggest complaints as well. The writers of most shows involving superpowers have no clue what they are doing. They should be required to play in a Champions campaign for a year before being hired to write for a superhero show. Nearly every Champions player I've ever played with has exhibited infinitely more creativity than 99% of the Hollywood writers given the task of scripting these shows.

I honestly believe that in most cases, the writers aren't even aware of how limited they're own thinking/creativity is in this area. They can't fix what they don't know is broken.

Plus, the villains have been hiding out in Fort Rozz all along?

When the government knew about it? Because, clearly, there's no possibility that the US government wouldn't be ALL OVER that 100,000,000 ton chunk of ALIEN ULTRA TECH like stink on a monkey from day one.

This is actually an extension of the problem above. The writers have little to no clue how a government or military would deal with something like Fort Rozz. Therefore they make dumb stuff up rather than do a little research and, oh I don't know, actually try to imagine how that would play out.

I suspect they feel they can get away with it because they imagine the audience is as clueless and indifferent to plausibility, logic, and verisimillitude as a 9-year old kid who reads the comics these shows are based on.