Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they're "magic" so they can do anything I guess. Which makes one wonder why she has to smash them together. They don't (and don't need to) make any sense, so she should just be able to generate a concussive attack out of them by merely willing it. They're magicalistic and everything, after all!

(And no, I don't happen to think smashing them together looks dramatic and "cool"...I think it just looks silly, but whatever.)

Well, they're "magic" so they can do anything I guess. Which makes one wonder why she has to smash them together. They don't (and don't need to) make any sense, so she should just be able to generate a concussive attack out of them by merely willing it. They're magicalistic and everything, after all!

(And no, I don't happen to think smashing them together looks dramatic and "cool"...I think it just looks silly, but whatever.)

She can throw lightning with them as well. Gifted to her by Zues of course...

I will say this--with the fact that Doomsday is going to be an adversary in this movie, Wonder Woman packing a sword and a shield does make much more sense to me.

Sword and shield for Diana is cultural. Plus they are magic/divine (created by Hephaestus) so its easier for her to damage normally "invulnerable" opponents like Kryptonians.

Well, sure. But goofy (i.e., very cartoony or comic-booky) power stunts seem out of place in the gritty, "realistic" Snyderverse. If WW appeared in the Scott Pilgrim movie maybe...

They are going to need power stunts in the Snyderverse if they want to properly compete with the Marvel films which are chocked full of them.

The only thing propping up the DC movies, in terms of competing with Marvel, is the name recognition of the characters. If it weren't for the fact that Superman was a household name, his latest movie would probably have gone over about as well as the last few FF movies (or, if we're being generous, the last few Spider-Man movies). Adding Marvel-like "power stunts" to the action isn't going to close the colossal creative gap between the two studios. I don't think Snyder storyboards bracer smashing in order to compete with Marvel; he does it because he hasn't quite mastered the art of being subtle with fan service.

The only thing propping up the DC movies, in terms of competing with Marvel, is the name recognition of the characters. If it weren't for the fact that Superman was a household name, his latest movie would probably have gone over about as well as the last few FF movies (or, if we're being generous, the last few Spider-Man movies). Adding Marvel-like "power stunts" to the action isn't going to close the colossal creative gap between the two studios. I don't think Snyder storyboards bracer smashing in order to compete with Marvel; he does it because he hasn't quite mastered the art of being subtle with fan service.

IMO, Snyder is the only person holding the DC movie franchise up compared to Marvel. I think he is the best action director currently out there with Del Toro being a very close second. Certainly Whedon and The Russos are not slouches in that department, but they have had the benefit of much, much better script writers and a strong cast to bring that writing to life. Pair Snyder with the same support Marvel has had, and there would be some serious Hollywood magic at work there.

The action scenes in Man of Steel were perfect. I didnt think I would ever see Superman action done right. I was planning to settle for close, but the action in Man of Steel was dead on. That was all Snyder. Where Man of Steel failed was in the delivery of the story, which is somewhat Snyders fault (he's not as good at directing drama as he is at directing action) but is moreso because of crappy writing.

Hopefully they get this stuff ironed out with the next couple of films. I think the DC Cinematic universe has the potential to be just as good as the MCU. They just need to get the right people on board to make it happen.

Rule One of good filmmaking: get the story right. It is all about good storytelling, always. Action scenes are a means to an end and nothing more. Good directors know this. Weak directors don't get it. Snyder isn't so much an action scene guru as he is a strong visualist, like del Toro. But I feel del Toro has a better sense of story than Snyder. Snyder's movies are lovely to look at, but often falter when it comes to the one thing that really matters: story. I remain unconvinced that Snyder is DC's best hope of competing with Marvel.

Rule One of good filmmaking: get the story right. It is all about good storytelling, always. Action scenes are a means to an end and nothing more. Good directors know this. Weak directors don't get it. Snyder isn't so much an action scene guru as he is a strong visualist, like del Toro. But I feel del Toro has a better sense of story than Snyder. Snyder's movies are lovely to look at, but often falter when it comes to the one thing that really matters: story. I remain unconvinced that Snyder is DC's best hope of competing with Marvel.

Example: Suckerpunch. Visually glorious but lacked a cohesive/coherent plot. 

Example: Suckerpunch. Visually glorious but lacked a cohesive/coherent plot. 

I thought it was a bit deeper than just the visuals. Here are a couple of articles that give a bit of analysis of the movie. It was pretty decent IMO.

https://worddoodling.wordpress.com/2011/03/28/why-sucker-punch-is-smarter-than-you-think/

http://www.lunalindsey.com/2011/03/analysis-of-sucker-punch-feminist.html

I thought it was a bit deeper than just the visuals. Here are a couple of articles that give a bit of analysis of the movie. It was pretty decent IMO.

I liked Sucker Punch, but if people have to write lengthy articles to try and explain it, then it failed at being coherent or deep. It's one of those movies that especially disappointed because it could have been really good.

I liked Sucker Punch, but if people have to write lengthy articles to try and explain it, then it failed at being coherent or deep. It's one of those movies that especially disappointed because it could have been really good.

Or you could argue that they wouldn't have to if the audience was paying attention. :D

I do agree that it fell a bit short of being "really good," which is why I went with "pretty good."

https://worddoodling.wordpress.com/2011/03/28/why-sucker-punch-is-smarter-than-you-think/

http://www.lunalindsey.com/2011/03/analysis-of-sucker-punch-feminist.html

I haven't read the articles, but agree with their headings. As Old Man states, if there is a need to explain the plot by lengthy articles, then the film has -- for the most part -- failed. 

And if it is not clear, I really like Sucker Punch. it just lacked that...sucker punch. And again as Old Man stated, could have been really good. :D

Or you could argue that they wouldn't have to if the audience was paying attention.  :D

I do agree that it fell a bit short of being "really good," which is why I went with "pretty good."

Fair points. :)