Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

I have zero interest in another superhero movie. There have been so many I'm bored to death with them. This despite the fact that it has long been one of my favorite genres. I need a rest from it. Its not novel, or a breath of fresh air, or much anticipated anymore. Superhero movies have become the Hollywood equivalent of a bologna sandwich with french's mustard on wonder bread. I do want to see the next Cap and Guardians of the Galaxy movies, but I'm having a hard time mustering more than a half-hearted enthusiasm even for those. Sometimes less is more, and absence makes the heart grow fonder.   

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have zero interest in another superhero movie. There have been so many I'm bored to death with them. This despite the fact that it has long been one of my favorite genres. I need a rest from it. Its not novel, or a breath of fresh air, or much anticipated anymore. Superhero movies have become the Hollywood equivalent of a bologna sandwich with french's mustard on wonder bread. I do want to see the next Cap and Guardians of the Galaxy movies, but I'm having a hard time mustering more than a half-hearted enthusiasm even for those. Sometimes less is more, and absence makes the heart grow fonder.   

I'm looking forward to a great many superhero movies. The movies I'm not looking forward to--like Ant Man--I just won't see. I'm not in the least burned out on superhero movies, anymore than I ever get burned out on mysteries, action films, comedies, and the like. Sometimes there won't be any films of Genre X currently out that I want to see, but that doesn't mean I'm bored of the genre, it only means not every mystery/action/comedy/superhero film is for me. Hollywood has spent over a century producing endless films in many genres, genres which rose and fell in popularity, but which haven't died out completely. Even westerns still get made occasionally. Yes, we have a glut of superhero movies right now and I'm thrilled--I've wanted to see a lot of this on the big screen for a long, long time. Eventually the glut will end, and superhero movies will become just another genre.

My fear that that model--the model of reliably profitable but not box office record-shattering blockbusters--is a thing of the past. It certainly is in most of the economy. it's not enough anymore for a company to be solid, successful, and reliably profitable year after year, decade after decade; if it isn't growing like kudzu and making bigger profits every quarter, it's a failure. Superhero movies can't do that. NO genre can. I'm afraid that when it becomes obvious that superhero movies aren't going to make ever more money forever, with each release bigger than the last, they'll be stamped FAILURES! and disappear while the idiots wander off in search of the next big thing.

Hollywood has been operating under a flawed business model for most of its history. There aren't very many industries where the cost to the consumer bears no relation to the cost of production. You pay the same $12-15 to watch a $10M romcom as you do to watch a $300M blockbuster. This puts extraordinary pressure on the tentpole films to pay off big since they aren't going to have higher ticket prices (or DVD prices) to help offset the astronomical up-front production costs. As a result, Hollywood has become an industry that is pathologically risk-averse. Any sign of potential failure (of a genre, for instance) and you get years of knee-jerk over-reaction.

You also get pedulum-swing cycles of financial success and failure as studios continue the practice of putting most of their eggs in the basket labelled "the next big thing", riding the wave of success until it crashes, and then scrambling to find ways to survive the downturn until some miracle project/franchise hits big and breathes new life into them. The fickle interests of mainstream audiences are only half to blame for the unpredictably shifting trends in entertainment; Hollywood and its boneheaded approach to production is equally to blame IMO.