Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/15/idaho-abortion-ban-texas-law-six-weeks

AZ & Mississippi - 15 weeks

Texas & Idaho - 6 weeks

It wasn't that long ago when people were talking on boards like this about 'don't worry about those people talking about canning abortion, they're only doing it for the votes.  it'll never happen'

😕

On 3/14/2022 at 1:48 PM, Cygnia said:

And cue the countdown when Musk "accidentally" falls out a window in...

15 hours ago, BNakagawa said:

Elon Musk is asking for a dose of Novichok.

I doubt Musk would be making such a boast unless he was sure nothing would come of it.

I'm not calling him a coward, mind you. I don't think he is. But he is prone to grandstanding and free publicity is hard to pass up.

21 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/mar/15/idaho-abortion-ban-texas-law-six-weeks

AZ & Mississippi - 15 weeks

Texas & Idaho - 6 weeks

It wasn't that long ago when people were talking on boards like this about 'don't worry about those people talking about canning abortion, they're only doing it for the votes.  it'll never happen'

😕

Well, the main obstacle at the time was that there was no way to ban abortion which would hold up to even minor scrutiny in lower courts.

This "bounty hunter" model caught most everyone by surprise.

I'd heard this issue discussed in both left and right forums for over 20 years and never heard a hint of any plan going toward that route.

I don't personally think bounty hunters should hold up to scrutiny when applied to people exercising their constitutional rights. If it did, you could have anti-free speech bounty hunters and anti-free press bounty hunters and anti-"people attending church" bounty hunters.

But for now, they've got a foothold.

The Idaho law also has a better shot at being upheld.  They allow a lawsuit against the provider from, IIRC, relatively close family only.  I still hate it, but the members of their groups by and large do have a legitimate interest.  I absolutely don't think they have an interest that should be considered superior to the mother's...but they do have an interest.  

I'm afraid that the tighter terms are likely to be upheld.  I'm still hoping that the bounty aspect gets thrown out;  as we've discussed, yeah, this'll explode in so many ugly ways.  

But that's where we're going.  

9 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Let me consult my list:

"A Guide to Ukraine’s Swear Words So You Can Follow the Viral Videos"

https://www.thedailybeast.com/a-guide-to-ukraines-curse-words-so-you-can-follow-the-viral-videos?ref=home

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Kind of a foregone conclusion, especially after this morning's ICJ ruling on the Russian invasion overall.

Technically, no.  Biden can't use it, even with this.  It's like "terrorist group" -- not an empty phrase, but one with specific requirements and consequences.  The State Department apparently has a formal process to declare someone as a war criminal.

That said, the ICJ's ruling can only greatly facilitate such a formal declaration, if Putin doesn't back off.