Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

A 6-figure Donald Trump donor is now a No Labels adviser

A major Republican donor and one-time financial backer of former President Donald Trump is now a leader in the Florida chapter of No Labels’ third-party presidential bid.

Allan Keen, a Florida-based real estate developer and investor who gave more than $137,000 to Trump-related election entities last cycle, has joined the centrist political group in a leadership role with its Florida chapter.

“I help when I can help. I believe in the cause,” Keen told POLITICO. After Trump’s actions on Jan. 6, 2021, he said he surrendered his Republican voter registration card for one that says, “No Labels Party of Florida.”

Keen’s involvement with No Labels is an extension of the work he has done with the group since 2016, including donating to its Problem Solvers PAC. But it is likely to heighten Democratic criticism that the third-party presidential bid will only hurt President Joe Biden’s reelection prospects.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The Trumpists wouldn't listen if God Himself spoke to them. 

And, yes, if someone showed me plausible evidence...I'd believe Trump was, indeed, the Antichrist of Revelations.  

I would love to see a genuine fire-and-brimstone preacher hit Evangelicals with a genuine Biblical prophecy objection to Trump like that. That might actually get through to them.

8 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I would love to see a genuine fire-and-brimstone preacher hit Evangelicals with a genuine Biblical prophecy objection to Trump like that. That might actually get through to them.

It won't.  Trump (and the hate he spews) is their god now.

I may have brought this up before, but... As a point of pedantry, the Antichrist does not appear in Revelations. In the RSV at least, the term only appears in the first letter of John:

"Children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come; therefore we know that it is the last hour." (2:18)

"Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son." (2:22)

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are of God; for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit which confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit which does not confess Jesus is not of God. This is the spirit of antichrist, of which you heard that it was coming, and now it is in the world already." (4:1-3)

IANAT* but Donald Trump probably qualifies as *an* antichrist, in that he gives onbly the most cursory statements of Christian faith while bragging constantly of his own divine power and gifts. He certainly qualifies as a false prophet.

Dean Shomshak

* I Am Not A Theologian

It's probably not going anywhere. The GOP legislators would need a supermajority to impeach Willis, which they don't have. Even some members of their own party are coming down against this move as a waste of time and an abuse of power. (It's refreshing to hear a Republican actually object to a fellow party member on those grounds.)

This shouldn't be political -- but it touches on immigration, both historical and modern, about which many Americans hold, hm, strong political opinions. So I'm posting the link here.

English is the most frequently spoken language in the US, followed by Spanish. But what's the #3 language in each state?

Fascinating map shows most-spoken language in each state after English and Spanish - with some VERY surprising results (msn.com)

Dean Shomshak

Makes sense to me. I’m the first generation in my family to not have German spoken in my household growing up (2nd generation born here). Grandpa was an undocumented immigrant who came across from Canada with his father to meet up with the rest of the family. Everyone is an immigrant here, just depends on when you arrived (and if it was by boat, plane, or land bridge).

On 8/31/2023 at 11:14 AM, DShomshak said:

I may have brought this up before, but... As a point of pedantry, the Antichrist does not appear in Revelations. In the RSV at least, the term only appears in the first letter of John:

"Children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come; therefore we know that it is the last hour." (2:18)

"Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son." (2:22)

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are of God; for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit which confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit which does not confess Jesus is not of God. This is the spirit of antichrist, of which you heard that it was coming, and now it is in the world already." (4:1-3)

IANAT* but Donald Trump probably qualifies as *an* antichrist, in that he gives onbly the most cursory statements of Christian faith while bragging constantly of his own divine power and gifts. He certainly qualifies as a false prophet.

Dean Shomshak

* I Am Not A Theologian

Premillenialists equate the Anti-Christ with the un-named first horseman of the Apocalypse.  

On 8/30/2023 at 6:07 PM, tkdguy said:

In my experience, the vast majority of 'christians' havent really followed the teachings of Jesus for 2000 years.

Jesus said unto him - Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

Funny freudian slip.  

“Elected officials have to do what’s popular, and sometimes not what’s right, and that’s a problem. That’s I think why people get nervous about Trump. He doesn’t do what’s popular or what’s right— or or I should should say he only does what’s right, I should say,” Habba said.

The Nazi Bar wants to ban the Anti-Defamation League

A HASHTAG CAMPAIGN pushed by right-wing ideologues and rife with antisemitic content is trending on X, the site formerly known as Twitter, and being shown support by owner Elon Musk. It’s a new low for a platform that has seemingly abandoned the fight against hate speech.

On Thursday, a number of accounts began tweeting #BanTheADL, calling on Musk to remove the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) from the site. The ADL is a civil rights organization focused on combating antisemitism and extremism. Momentum for the action seems to have been stirred by a meeting earlier in the week between the ADL’s national director, Jonathan Greenblatt, and Linda Yaccarino, in which the pair discussed how to curb the hate and toxic propaganda that have flourished on X ever since Musk’s takeover last year.

Some of the ADL’s most vicious, bad-faith critics took this opportunity to accuse the group — which Musk himself has criticized in the past — of stifling free speech. Among those who worked hardest to amplify #BanTheADL were mixed martial artist Jake Shields — who has railed against the nonprofit on social media for the better part of a year, at times alleging that they push children to be “gay and trans” — and Keith Woods, an Irish YouTuber with connections to prominent white supremacists including Richard Spencer and Nick Fuentes. The campaign also found allies in failed senate candidate Lauren Witzke, who has been known to push antisemitism; Andrew Torba, CEO of Gab, a web platform that caters to neo-Nazis; and Matthew Parrott, a co-founder of the Traditionalist Worker Party, a neo-Nazi group that helped to organize the deadly 2017 “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. At one point on Thursday, #BanTheADL was the number one trending topic on X.