Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

And on Facebook I ran into posters decrying the removal of one such statue is a demonstration, as if it was one of the worst things that could possibly happen. This from people who openly cheered when the statues of Saddam Hussein that were everywhere in Baghdad were taken down by jubilant mobs.

I also frequently see commenters on Facebook claiming that nobody is really opposed to Trump and that the "Antifa" demonstrators and movement were creations of George Soros' money. Since the opposite of Anti remains Pro, I can't help but think of these people as "Profa"

I get sickened by these comments very quickly. Why would anyone be pro-fascist? Didn't we have a war about this? And didn't the Fascists lose and lose big?

This poses a serious question for me. I am for the most part powerless to influence events. If this country continues the path it is on, there isn't a lot I personally can do about it. After the events of last weekend, that really bothers me. I can't really do anything that would make much of a direct impact as an individual voter in a blue state that would not back the President anyway. Nothing I say or write is likely to have much of an impact. I really wish it would. But it won't. I feel terrible about that.

Charlottesville appears to be the first true test of Trump's presidency, and it looks like he would have to reach up substantially to garner a mere "failing" grade.

I have got to stay away from certain corners of Facebook. Some people still seem to find some sort of moral equivalency between vandalism (tearing down a statue that will eventually be removed anyway) and murder (driving a car into a crowd of people you disagree with). 

I heard this segment on NPR on the way home from school today:

NPR's Robert Siegel talks to Mark Lilla, author of the book, The Once and Future Liberal: After Identity Politics, which looks at the failure of American liberalism over the past two generations.

It's about eight minutes long, and definitely worth a listen. One segment I thought was particularly interesting went something like this:

"Let's say you're canvassing in Missouri or Mississippi, and you come up to a door and you say, 'I'm from the Democratic party, and I'd like you to vote for us. But first, I have some tickets to give you. Here's a ticket for your [white] privilege, a ticket for being a racist, and a ticket for being homophobic. Hope to see you on Tuesday!' "

Interesting observation from a self-proclaimed liberal, I thought. I wonder if the local library has a copy of the book yet.

Edit: The book only came out today. It'll probably be a month before the library has it available.

A couple of the other boards I frequent have started dead-serious threads about fleeing the U.S. before the racial purge/second Civil War.  People are terrified after Charlottesville, and I can't blame them.

Anyway, a distilled version of the fleeing advice is:

- Updated passports for the entire family

- Go bag

- Cash (i.e. paper money, not a checking account)

- Bank account in target country (Canada will be best for most people)

- Important documents, including birth certificates and Social Security cards

Lastly, the answer to "When will I know if it's time to leave?" is "You won't until it's too late."

Charlottesville appears to be the first true test of Trump's presidency, and it looks like he would have to reach up substantially to garner a mere "failing" grade.

I have got to stay away from certain corners of Facebook. Some people still seem to find some sort of moral equivalency between vandalism (tearing down a statue that will eventually be removed anyway) and murder (driving a car into a crowd of people you disagree with).

I personally haven't seen people finding equivalency between vandalism and murder. What I have seen is people laughing about the vandalism and condoning it, as if committing more crimes is the right answer to the first crime. That mentality is as absurd as the one that equates murder with vandalism. However, both are crimes and both should be punished.

And I can't help wondering how long it will take until people progress from destroying statues they don't like to burning books they don't like.

What I have seen is many people trying to sell equivalency between people who publicly advocate racism, and those who oppose it. The actions of whatever fraction of either side in this latest incident actually stooped to vandalism or violence, doesn't justify or excuse the attitude and purpose behind the rallying white nationalists.

What I have seen is many people trying to sell equivalency between people who publicly advocate racism, and those who oppose it. The actions of whatever fraction of either side in this latest incident actually stooped to vandalism or violence, doesn't justify or excuse the attitude and purpose behind the rallying white nationalists.

Trying to say advocating racism and opposing it are equivalent is insane. But, sadly, I'm not surprised there are people who feel that way.

At least Trump did specifically speak out against the White supremacists. He should have done it better earlier, but he did it, and he did it well enough to upset the racists themselves. That is always pleasing to me.

He upset them so much that they thanked him for his comments after the press conference. Guess they didn't stay mad for long (or they're just mad at the speech writer who penned the denouncement from the other day).

I swear america has reached a point where you have the KKK and neonazis on one side screaming "We want all non whites exterminated! We want all non heterosexuals exterminated!" And you have POC and LGBT people on the other saying "We what equal rights! We want equal justice!"

And in the middle you have utter morons saying "Can't we compromise? Can't we respect each others rights and views?"

People in America need to face some ugly facts. You can't compromise with groups who want to exterminate tens of millions of people. You can't meet people who want a dictatorship half way.

It doesn't take "two to make a fight" no matter what ignorant adults tell kids. It takes two sides to make peace. If one side insists on getting their way violently, the other side fights, or is crushed.

Neville Chamberlain compromised with fascists. He respected their views. Didn't work out too well, did it?

At least Trump did specifically speak out against the White supremacists. He should have done it better earlier, but he did it, and he did it well enough to upset the racists themselves. That is always pleasing to me.

And then at his news conference the next day he went off-script and completely negated that statement, returning to his previous position that both of the opposing demonstrating parties were at fault.

I noted new White House Chief of Staff John Kelly standing with his face toward the floor while Trump went on his latest tirade.

To this point I tended to think that Trump pandering to white supremacists was mostly political calculation. Hearing his spontaneous remarks today, he's starting to convince me that's what he really believes.