Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

I'm 97.125% certain that everyone participating in this thread gets it. Were you under that impression that someone wasn't getting it?

You're right. Onthis board maybe my statement wasn't necessary. I didn't mean to offend..you have to realize on a lot of boards my statement would not have been misplaced. Maybe i posted in in one of the few boards it wasn't necessary.

So...President Trump has now said he'll 'probably' terminate NAFTA at some point and will 'close government' if that's what's needed to build his wall.

At yet another rally.  That he shouldn't attend because IMO he should be too busy being president.

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

I read some commentator pointing out that Trump as president is still behaving as though he were on the campaign trail, devoting his energy to trying to rally his supporters with statements that will please them but may not be translatable into policy.

You won, Mr. Trump. Time to stop campaigning and actually govern. I know that's the hard part of this job, but it's what you were elected to do.

I've played the German or Japanese side in dozens of wargames.  It doesn't make me conservative or a supporter of fascism.  Often the appeal of playing "the bad guys" in a wargame is just trying to win a more challenging scenario.  

As have I. But there was a racist in one of the boardgame clubs I was in for a while who refused to play the Russians in Squad Leader but had no problem with the Germans.

What happened with Avalanche says a lot more about Avalanche than it does about wargaming. They have placed themselves as a company that deliberately does small print runs and mostly Internet sales. Not apropos to this discussion, of course, but I don't know if they even want my business.

I read some commentator pointing out that Trump as president is still behaving as though he were on the campaign trail, devoting his energy to trying to rally his supporters with statements that will please them but may not be translatable into policy.

You won, Mr. Trump. Time to stop campaigning and actually govern. I know that's the hard part of this job, but it's what you were elected to do.

Trump loves rallies more than anything else in the world. Large crowds of people cheering for him excites him far more than preparing a budget or phoning a senator who probably despises him in order to secure a vote on his latest pet project.

He is convinced the people love him, and that's all that matters.

"Close government" huh? He really does think he is that special.

Shine on, you crazy cubic zirconian.

Yes, he does

Rallies do nothing besides fuel his disbelief in his popularity numbers.

After all, could he really have such a rating if 'thousands' come to his rallies every time?

Of course not.

Clearly, the polls are 'Fake news'.

President Trump needs to realise that the world is watching both his 'I'm on the campaign trail' rally persona and his 'I'm trying to be a unifying president' persona.  He might see it as 'showmanship' - verbally give the people what they want - but it doesn't come across that way to his critics and when he keeps slipping and using the wrong persona at the wrong time it causes more and more harm to his credibility.

Like Arnold as Mr Freeze I think President Trump could do a better job if he understood the source material of the role he was assigned to play better, had a better scriptwriter, and ad-libbed less.

Careful, guys, we don't want to draw the Wrath of Dan. :fear:

But I will add, as many mental health-care professionals have pointed out, that people can have significant personality flaws which still don't amount to a clinical diagnosis of mental illness, or critically impair their capacity to function in society. In other words, features about Trump which you may consider impact his function as President, may not in themselves be sufficient grounds to question his mental competence.

I hope the left realizes that the next time there's a leftwing march, Right Wingers will do this, and likely worse. We need to improve our discourse, and poo is not going to do that.

This article illustrates how attacked both sides feel, and I thought it was well thought out.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/they-want-revenge/

I think the issue i have is not that conciliation is bad, but that it requires good faith and earnestness from both sides. If conciliatory efforts are met with cynicism and bad faith, they fail. Similarly, if conciliatory words are mere window dressing just to say "see, we tried", they will also fail.

With respect to the current situation in Washington, i do not think there is a solid foundation for conciliation.