A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Just found out Bay is doing the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle live action movie. If that wasn't bad enough in and of itself' date=' he has announced that in his reboot they will actually be aliens...I wish I was kidding but it was on CNN...[/quote']

...Where can I donate to stop Bay from making movies?

David Pogue: TONIGHT'S MEDITATION: If you laid every Twilight fan end to end around the world, a lot of them would drown, get run over or eaten by lions.

So I send it to one of the people I follow on Twitter because I thought she might like it, I tweeted:

Bazza: @aeroplanegirl thought you would get a laugh out of this t.co/LCNmKaak

And got the reply back:

Jen: @bazzaclarke Ha, I did, thank you #giggle

So, you take some random joke from a NYT freelancer who writes about and reviews technology and forward it quickly and easy to another who is a London bookseller, poet and soon to be author, who then on-forwards it to 4,253 people who follow her on Twitter.

This is why Twitter is awesome.

Why is it the Kama Sutra?

Shouldn't the other punctuation marks be able to have fun too?

The Semi-Colon Sutra?

The Question mark Sutra?

The Exclamation point Sutra?

The Backslash Sutra?

The Ellipsis Sutra...

...could all be fun, in their own unique ways.

But there will never be a Tilde Sutra!

While it is often touted that nuclear power produces no CO2, I am confident that it does produce water vapor since (afaik) water is always the method used to cool the return flow to the reactor. I wonder if any study has been done to "equate" the total emissions of a nuclear plant vs the total emissions of a non-nuclear plant, and see if nuclear really is better* than non.

*From what little (and it is not a lot) I have learned, water vapor is a much greater greenhouse gas than CO2 is, but comes out of the air much more readily (rain).

Via Wikipedia:

According to data compiled by the Irish Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, only one quarter of households in officially Gaeltacht areas possess a fluency in Irish. The author of a detailed analysis of the survey, Donncha Ó hÉallaithe of the Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology, described the Irish language policy followed by Irish governments a "complete and absolute disaster". The Irish Times, referring to his analysis published in the Irish-language newspaper Foinse, quoted him as follows: "It is an absolute indictment of successive Irish Governments that at the foundation of the Irish State there were 250,000 fluent Irish speakers living in Irish-speaking or semi Irish-speaking areas, but the number now is between 20,000 and 30,000." (The Irish Times, January 6 2003)

I feel reminded of the Harry Browne joke where he said that if the government fought a War on Abortion the way it fights the War on Drugs, within five years men would be having illegal abortions.

JG