A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Went to place last night that does live music on Saturday evenings (and they sell great sandwiches). Aside from a couple of the waitstaff and the audio system guy, we might have been the youngest people there. Of the four guys in the band, all were at least a dozen years older than me; two of them were guys who had been in the Kingsmen when they made their gold record, "Louie, Louie". Oh, and they rocked.

Guest Goradin

Those machines work, use them, I have apnea too. I have a huge neck from years of weight lifting and a build that could give Grond a run for his money. I felt more tired after they told me as I had an excuse but bipap machines help if you can tolerate them. PM me if you have any questions Narf.

800,000-year-old Cretan fossil seems to be a mammoth ... one that stood 1 m at the shoulder as an adult. "Mini-mammoth"?

(From Science, but I think it's behind the subscriber wall)

Had an interesting discussion at work yesterday. Long story short, we started a list of evil musical instruments:

The pipe organ

The violin

The panflute

The tuba? (We were shocked, too, but statistics don't lie!)

The triangle

The accordion and bagpipes: evil or just misunderstood? Tortuous, certainly, perhaps fiendish, but evil? :think:

One of our writers penned the following today "...Arabs have been using deceptive tactics to fraudulently sell Jews gnomes in Hevron..."

Who knew?!

New title: The Fraudulent Lawn Ornament Intifada!

Lesson: spell-check does not obviate the need for a proof reader....

Sounds legit.

Got this in work email today.

Hello friend

my real I saw your profile

and i just having some feeling on you that is why i want you to contact me

with this my email address,so that i will give you my pictures for you and more about myself,yours

Vera Dion

It's true love. I think I'll send 'her' all of my personal information.

I have yet to understand the Israeli penchant for generals who go into politics.

Only one in five turn out to be worth anything in the halls of power.

We have a famous Army saying that translates, "he was so dumb even the other generals noticed."

If that's how they were viewed the military, why would anyone give them power outside of it?!

A cute little paper in the latest Science points out that the explosive growth in the human population ... "—more than three orders of magnitude within fewer than 400 generations—can be divided into one epoch of moderate exponential growth followed by accelerated explosive growth starting fewer than 100 generations ago." That kind of population growth means there are a lot of mutations in the modern population that haven't been selected out (or in) because there hasn't been enough generations to winnow things out.

So, there are lots of mutants around now, so watching for people with superpowers isn't as silly as one might guess. :doi:

Timecard software is weird. If I leave for lunch at exactly 12 noon and return at 12:36, it says I've taken a 30 minute lunch (because of rounding). But if I leave for lunch at 12:02 and return at 12:38, it says I've taken a 45 minute lunch, despite having taken the exact same amount of time.

I'm not allowed to pet and stroke OddHat's back when Stripes is in the room. When she sees me petting him she starts yelling at me and bumping me until I start petting her. Star announces naptime and bedtime. She'll start meowing and rubbing against everything when she decides it's time for bed.

Whoever claims to own a cat doesn't know what they're talking about.

The Chorus from the 1982 song "Eye in the Sky":

I am the eye in the sky

Looking at you

I can read your mind

I am the maker of rules

Dealing with fools

I can cheat you blind

And I dont need to see any more

To know that

I can read your mind, I can read your mind

Sauron's favorite song?

I've finally quantified what it is that I despise about certain songs: if, as the songwriter, I'd have been embarrassed to write down "lyrics" like "b-b-bow bow bow bow bow, b-b-bow bow bow bow bow, b-b-bow bow bow bow bow, bow-bow bow-bow, d-do do-do-do", I'd have ditched that part, left my song at 1:34 long and called it good.

Rock the Vote! :rockon:

Please come by and cast your votes in the Avengers Initiative Superdraft finale. There are a lot of great ideas being formed there. Even if you weren't directly involved, everyone is invited to cast votes.

As always, the draft itself is open to everyone to participate, and another will start in June.

Thanks!

marvels-the-avengers-the-avengers-initiative-1.jpg

The weekend promises to be a long one.

Tomorrow I have to get to Reading to see a friend in Thoroughly Modern Millie and that means a train after 22:30 back to London.

Sunday providing I am compass mentis after Saturday there is a comic expo in the Excel centre which is a bit of a bind to get to.

So if you don't see me around, that is why.