A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I come to see that, after all, religion is mostly just an excuse, not an actual cause.

Evil people use it as an excuse for their evil.

Good people use it as an excuse for their good.

But it's ultimately irrelevant, and by and large the sentiments, words, and deeds, would be the same if justified by another religion, or by none.

Lucius Alexander

In the Name of the Palindromedary

http://www.neoncon.com/

Fans & Friends,

Friday, May 28, 2012

It is with a heavy heart, that I write to let you know that we have come to the end of the road. Yesterday evening, after considerable thought and discussion, we decided to turn out the lights on NeonCon.

For five years, NeonCon has been our passion project. We worked hard to keep the show affordable, engaging and, most importantly, fun. I am proud to say we hit each mark. But in the end, those elements did not add up to a sustainable business.

Having said that, I would do it all again, even knowing how it would end.

Well, this sucks rocks.

JG

There are rumors about that there will be a remake of the movie The Brothers Lionheart, a classic Swedish children's movie -- it deals with death and duty and bravery against all odds. The original novel was written by Astrid "Everyone's Granny" Lindgren, an author who took children and childhood very serious. Now, the gang supposedly behind the new movie version couldn't be more fitting -- the script by John Ajvide Lindqvist, the guy who wrote Let The Right One In and the script to that novel's movie adaptation, and direction by Tomas Alfredson, who was behind the camera on the LTROI and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Let's see where these rumors take us next.

Thought this might be of interest to a few people.

The Geek Manifesto: Why Science Matters | Mark Henderson | 9780593068236

For a taster of this book, buy the mini Ebook: 'The Geek Manifesto: why geeks matter' and discover why this is a must read for anyone even a tiny bit interested in science or politics. The geeks are coming. And our world needs them. Whether we want to improve education or cut crime, to enhance public health or to generate clean energy, we need the experimental methods of science - the best tool humanity has yet developed for working out what works. Yet from the way we're governed to the news we're fed by the media we're let down by a lack of understanding and respect for its insights and evidence. In The Geek Manifesto Mark Henderson explains why and how we need to entrench scientific thinking more deeply into every aspect of our society. A new movement is gathering. Let's turn it into a force our leaders cannot ignore.

We had the weekly team meeting today. I was watching one person talk when suddenly she no longer appeared quite human to me. For some reason, I was mentally deconstructing her and seeing her in terms of a skull with layers of tissue over it like a very good animatronic character. I could almost see the construction that went into putting her head together. It was odd. I tried to see the others that way, and it worked on one but not the other. The two animatronic coworkers are extremely skinny, which may have played into it.

A solar year is 365.24 days.

A lunar month is 29.5 days.

Let us assume, for historical and religious reasons, that a week must be 7 days.

In this new system, a calendar month equals exactly 4 weeks, or 28 days.

A year consists of 13 calendar months (13x28=364 days).

An additional day is tagged at the end of the year (call it an extra-calendar day, or month) and is set aside as a time of celebration. Every four years, a leap-day is added to the 14th extra-calendar month (following all the current rules about leap years, of course, necessary because the solar calendar just doesn't quite match up to the days).

So, instead of this whole "30 days hath November" crap, we have a monthly calendar that makes sense. If it's Monday, it's either the 2nd, 9th, 16th, or 23rd, every month. The lunar phase moves back 1.5 days every month, going through a complete cycle every... what, about 18 years or so? This is the most wonky part of the calendar, but not too many people rely on the phase of the moon anymore.

Also, we move the months back to their proper places. "October" means "Eighth Month," so it should be in the 8th place on the calendar. Same with September, November, and December.

OK, I'm going to go on record with this. I know I'm committing heresy by saying this, but Bruce Springsteen is the most over-rated singer/songwriter ever, and he always has been. Seriously, I just can't see what people like about him or his music.

The stoning may now commence.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][TABLE]

[TR=class: ms-WPHeader]

[TD][h=3]Remembering Cray Research Co-founder Andrew G. Scott[/h][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]13485056_05292012_1.jpg Andrew G. Scott, one of the founders of Cray Research, died this May at age 84. He was born in St. Paul, where he practiced law, and was a key legal advisor to Seymour Cray in the creation of Cray Research, Inc., where he served as Vice Chairman and General Counsel. He also served in the United States Army in WWII and in Korea, and served on the Boards of the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, the MN Orchestra, Children's Theater Company, Channel 2, St. Paul Academy and Summit School, and numerous high-tech companies. "He was able, particularly in times of crisis, to take enormous amounts of information, and distill them to their essence. He was extremely wise and could really cut to the chase," said a long-time business associate.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]