Justice League Film

14 hours ago, Christopher said:

*I always found that Dianas retreat after WW1 made little sense. She was as hopefull for humanity at the end of WW1 as she was after the clock was returned to her. But there was a 100 year retreat from the world between those two (1918 to 2017). Something of her story is missing right there. I have some theories what it could be. They go to some dark places, but those are places the DCEU can actually go to. While Marvel would fail at getting that serious.

The comments I've been hearing from Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns is that Diana did not retreat from the world. She remained to continue to "fight, and give" ever since. But she's been doing so under the radar, not really using her Wonder Woman guise in public. The next WW movie is reportedly drawn from that period, set in the 1980s.

On 11/26/2017 at 3:52 AM, Christopher said:

As for the MCU, there was only one Movie that came close to the seriousness. Ironman 1 had moments similar to what Man of Steel had as theme:

I assume you mean musical theme, since The Incredible Hulk and The Winter Soldier in particular were rife with serious dramatic themes. But on the musical front, I found this moment particularly effective:

On 11/18/2017 at 6:01 PM, Christopher said:

He did not have that many lines. But he had pretty awesome action:
Beating the entire Justice League. In particulary: Headbutt duel with Wonder Woman. Outspeeding the Flash. That is just how broken his powerlevel is.

Assuming after 2 weeks, everyone has seen or at least read about the movie, so no spoiler tags:

I just finally got to see it. I quoted the above because it mentions, really, one of the only things that bugged me. I have been reading DC since new 52 (which I liked a lot more then some people) and rebirth. One of the biggest things I liked was that Diana's power level had been upped to close to Clark's (really shown in Superman and Wonder Woman book). This movie really overpowered Supes to me, truly evidenced by the fight with Steppenwolf, where Diana AND Arthur are hard pressed to hold their own against him combined, but Supes basically demolishes him easily to the point of putting fear in him. It almost made it, what is the point of everyone else.

The other thing was I thought the running effects for Flash were poorly done, he looked like he was running strangely or jumping along.

The good:

First, everything Hermit and Christopher said I agree with wholeheartedly.

Christopher - The motherbox thing with Cyborg is from the current run of comics. He has a lot of alien tech in him that STAR labs had in their red room. Current Blue Beetle isn't motherbox oriented, but sentient suit oriented.

This is absolutely the Superman we wanted. The dichotomy between the big 3 is excellent, and I am now saddened we won't see Affleck as Batman.

The cast of the JL is great. I actually now look forward to individual movies of them.

Darn, I was really hoping that Eisenberg was really playing Lex jr. and the real Lex would show up. Oh well.

Added to the quotes above was Cyborg saying "we would have let you, but the amazon didn't give us a vote". Loved how Bruce formed the team, but Diana brought them together. I liked Amy Adam's Lois in this too and how she was mourning his death. The whole opening, all I could think of was, where was this superman in the previous 2 movies (doing the interview for the elementary(?) kids was awesome).

The whole movie made me wonder how much was Joss's editing and re-shoots tweaking scenes. For instance, as was mentioned before, the scene with Gordon and 4 of the heroes, where only Flash remains was funny. Was that in Snyder's original or did Joss add it in. That is just one example of what I was thinking.

Oh, and I didnt even really notice the whole costume thing with the Amazons.

25 minutes ago, slikmar said:

The other thing was I thought the running effects for Flash were poorly done, he looked like he was running strangely or jumping along.

I think that was in part to differentiate him from the TV Flash. He did say that superspeed was an oversimplification of his ability to bend space and time, so I was guessing that was the real reason for his odd effect.

I mentioned above that I thought they overpowered Supes. I don't mind him being the most powerful of the JL. If they had made him the equivalent of Steppenwolf, ie toe to toe, neither gaining advantage, i would have been fine with it OR if they hadn't shown SW handling Diana and Arthur so easily, if either of them could have stood toe to toe with him seperately, I would have been fine (in the comics now, either of them might have been able to). But to basically have him be able to beat the 2 combined (and really, add cyborg and Batman into the mix) and then Superman come in and have an easier time with SW then he did with Batman in BvsS was annoying. I did love Supes showing up with the line " "Well, I believe in truth, but I'm also a big fan of justice" was awesome.

Well, Diana apologized to Supes before she did her bracelet slap, so you could make the case everyone (except Cyborg, who had lost control) was holding back a bit.  Either way, I think the power levels are a close approximation to what has been typically represented throughout all DC media forms since the silver age.  Superman should be the most powerful by far, but has a massive weakness, WW is the best fighter, Batman the strategist, etc.

• 3 months later...

OK Finally saw the film and I liked it pretty well.  It has some pretty major flaws in terms of a lame story, poor CGI, and some characterization oddities, but was overall pretty well done.  Basically you have to ignore the couple of global warming cracks and the previous two Superman movies and its a pretty fun movie.  

CONS: Flash's costume, odd personality (although there needed to be the fanboy happy guy), Batman's bizarre complete disregard for secret identity, boring villain, serious continuity problems like Superman waking up for the first time to find his statue wrecked by... what?  when did Superman have time to get married??  Boom tubes didn't boom (how do you miss that??), motherbox changes, Wonder Woman very minimized, weak and bizarre CGI sometimes, Aquaman as frat boy bro didn't work for me (although I know why they did it), and turning Alfred into Mr Fantastic partner of Batman was an odd decision.

PROS: Action was pretty solid, Superman was reasonably well characterized, nice to see the New Gods used in a film, Parademons looked and acted great, fun movie to eat popcorn and watch, Batman's gadgets were pretty cool, nice interaction between Supes and Flash, and one of my favorite actors who is criminally underused (Joe Morton) got a decent part to play, Flash learning to be a superhero was nice.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

serious continuity problems like Superman waking up for the first time to find his statue wrecked by... what?

His fight with Doomsday.

This statue was made after his fight with Zod.

Broken in his fight with Doomsday, jsut after they left the ship in their fight

And was left like this as part of a reminder.

when did Superman have time to get married??

They are not legally married.

He had placed this ring with his mother.

Then he died agaisnt doomsday

Martha gave the package containing it to Lois.

Lois wore it since his funeral.

Inlcuding when meeting him again.

It was even in the Trailers "So that means yes?"

Boom tubes didn't boom (how do you miss that??)

They actually boomed very boomy in Atmos. Maybe it was not properly hearable in other Audio Systems?

9 minutes ago, dmjalund said:

I think it is tacky to put up a Superman (or any superhero actually) statue next to a remembrance wall, unless that hero also died.

I know people that shit on Man of Steel like to forget this but:
He saved every single person on the planet. 2 times!

Zod was Terraforming earth into a Planet where "there would be no human race". The Atmosphere would have killed us outright.

And after that was failed, he vowed "to kill them all".

If that does not net you a Statue, then what would?

53 minutes ago, death tribble said:

You just have to remember that Man of Steel is not a film about DC's Superman. The scriptwriters obviously don't understand or like the character

Man of Steel was a Sci-fi alien invasion story featuring kryptonians. Unlike the MCU earth, this world is a little closer to reality at the beginning. There is no S.H.I.E.L.D equivalent. It doesn't start out as a comic book universe but rather sets the groundwork. I am saddened by the Snyder family tragedy and poor studio choice to make a last minute change of tone. I believe that an ultimately better movie would have been the result of a Snyder edit but I know I'm in the minority. I've also collected superman, flash. JLA and various other DC comics since the early 70's and I just don't see how they could pull the team building aspect off with a lighter toned story. 

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Not murdering hundreds of thousands of people in a fight in the middle of a city you could have easily moved away from.

I literally linked the video that explain how that is a bold faced lie 2 posts before you answered.

99% of the Destruction was done by Zod while Superman was on the literal otehr side of the planet. Trying to prevent more of it/a extinction level event. At the risk of his life.

10 hours ago, Christopher said:

I know people that shit on Man of Steel like to forget this but:
He saved every single person on the planet. 2 times!

Zod was Terraforming earth into a Planet where "there would be no human race". The Atmosphere would have killed us outright.

And after that was failed, he vowed "to kill them all".

If that does not net you a Statue, then what would?

Don’t misunderstand me. I see nothing wrong with putting up Superman statues (although I didn’t like that one) I just thought is was poor positioning. Like putting a stautue of the president at the World Trade Center memorial 

5 hours ago, dmjalund said:

Don’t misunderstand me. I see nothing wrong with putting up Superman statues (although I didn’t like that one) I just thought is was poor positioning. Like putting a stautue of the president at the World Trade Center memorial 

It was right next to the cashed Kryptonian Ship. Indeed it was only a Superman throw away from it:

Placing a Statue just where superman decided to end his own race for good to save humanity? Makes sense for me!

And it also re-answers your oriignal question who destroyed that Statue:
Doomsday. Using Superman as a punching bag/club/throwing projectile.