Justice League Film

17 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Green Lantern is definitely missing from the league.  Its time for a re attempt at the character, and this time by fans who have read the comic.

The Problem lies in the Year 2011. I recently watched it for the first time. I had the material for a good movie, but the totally miss-spent the CGI budget. Resulting in absolutely horribly looking Guardians and Paralax. The training scene was propably one of the best scenes of the movie and even it was only average:

But despite all this, a new Green Latern film is planned:
https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Green-Lantern-Corps-Movie-May-Have-3-Green-Lanterns-Here-What-We-Know-126597.html

12 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

You can blame Jack Kirby. He loved those groan-inducing punnish names for his New Gods.  Just be thankful they didn't use Virman Vundabar.

Basically that character is a stupid idea that was actually implemented:
What if we had a german WW1+WW2 Officer on Apokolypse? That would have caused cringe effects in the german markets.

Plus Steppenwolf is actually physically menacing without needing to pull out Darkside that early.

Well, the Box Office for the opening weekend was a let down

$96M domestic

$185.5M overseas

With Wonder a surprise hit, Ragnarok still in the theaters, and Coco coming in from Pixar/Disney, Justice League is in deep deep trouble. 

It has performed under Batman V Superman, and Suicide Squad, which is a shame as it is better than any of them (Yes, I'm sure many will say how can it not be?)

Good word of mouth and fan reviews may not be enough to save it by Hollywood standards

4 hours ago, Hermit said:

Well, the Box Office for the opening weekend was a let down

$96M domestic

$185.5M overseas

With Wonder a surprise hit, Ragnarok still in the theaters, and Coco coming in from Pixar/Disney, Justice League is in deep deep trouble. 

It has performed under Batman V Superman, and Suicide Squad, which is a shame as it is better than any of them (Yes, I'm sure many will say how can it not be?)

Good word of mouth and fan reviews may not be enough to save it by Hollywood standards

SW 8 is coming out soon too.  By comparison, Avengers 1 was the 5th or 6th film in the MCU, and it did nearly triple JL's box office numbers the first weekend.  They need to fully abandon the Snyder ethos in subsequent films.  

I think part of the big pull for Justice League was supposed to be Superman coming back but with how they portrayed him and what he was like in the last 2 movies, I'm not sure anyone cared if he was still dead or not.  That's probably hurting its chances as well.

I suspect, though, that it won't display the usual curve of big hit movies that are really big at first then tail off rapidly.  I think word of mouth might keep this one going for a while with modest numbers.

I would agree with Christopher, I think that WB/DC has not earned the cache with fans that Marvel has, so any movie coming out will be a wait and see for many viewers. If friends/family tell them is good, then the will see it. Will be interesting to see how it does this weekend with Pixar's CoCo coming out.

5 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I think part of the big pull for Justice League was supposed to be Superman coming back but with how they portrayed him and what he was like in the last 2 movies, I'm not sure anyone cared if he was still dead or not.  That's probably hurting its chances as well.

It didn't help that the marketing for JL almost completely hid the return of Superman. The many moviegoers who don't have their ear close to the movie or comic industry ground may not have even been aware Superman is in the film.

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

It didn't help that the marketing for JL almost completely hid the return of Superman. The many moviegoers who don't have their ear close to the movie or comic industry ground may not have even been aware Superman is in the film.

Pretty sure that was intentional. Thanks to specific cutting, the one scene with Cavill in the Trailers appear to have been "only a dream" by Lois Lane. They did kind of spoil the whole Doomsday thing in BvS, so they might have overcompensated here.

Personally not being spoiled by teh trailers realy helps with the enjoyment of the Film.

9 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

By comparison, Avengers 1 was the 5th or 6th film in the MCU, and it did nearly triple JL's box office numbers the first weekend.  They need to fully abandon the Snyder ethos in subsequent films.  

What do you mean with "Jack Snyder Ethos"?

I mean they need to have something Unique. No way they are going to carve out a space agaisnt the MCU by just Immitating it.

17 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I'd be happy if they started imitating the DCAU.

You mean like that time Superman was Brainwashed into thinking he was a pawn of Superman and then send to attack earth?

That time the government got so scared of the Justice League, they ended up creating project Cadmus. Wich involved cloning, mindwiping, assasination and a fair share of "broken eggs"?

How about the Killing Joke, at whose end Batman was mentally broken by the Joker?

People often think the DC Animated Universe never dealt with Grownup stuff. But that is far from the truth.

8 minutes ago, Christopher said:

You mean

I mean quality story telling. I don't know what you think I think, but you are almost certainly wrong.

8 minutes ago, Christopher said:

People often think the DC Animated Universe never dealt with Grownup stuff. But that is far from the truth.

If you're implying that the Snyderverse is dealing with "Grownup stuff," I'd have to say that the execution is so juvenile as to negate any grownup qualities.

What I'm saying is that Snyder's a one-trick pony--grim, gritty, bloody, dark spectacles do not a vibrant superhero universe make.  They could stand to brighten things up a bit.  It doesn't have to "copy" Marvel, but it should mirror the general tone of the comics these characters come from.  Superman is not grappling with seeing the difference between right and wrong and figuring out his role in the world.  

2 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I mean quality story telling. I don't know what you think I think, but you are almost certainly wrong.

If you're implying that the Snyderverse is dealing with "Grownup stuff," I'd have to say that the execution is so juvenile as to negate any grownup qualities.

Needs more "forceful sodomy" scenes. ?