Avengers Infinity War with spoilers

Bazza

MCU Thanos & Mistress Death part 1 of 3.

For context, below is a text I sent to a friend suggesting how Thanos's crush on Mistress Death could have been incorporated into Infinity War. 

Explanation by Marvel Studios why it didn't happen

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/why-thanos-doesnt-woo-death-in-avengers-infinity-war.html

Me:

I've been thinking about that too. I decided that on Titan they show a young Thanos seeing Mistress Death (in her woman form not a skeleton) so he goes to buy a flower (or pick one) and when he turns around to give it to her she's gone. He fell in love/crushed on Mistress Death. 

Dr Strange identifies the character for the audience as Mistress Death, the embodiment of the concept of death, and calls Thanos mad -- as he is The Mad Titan -- to which he retorts back -- madly in love. 

He explains in a cool pragmatic philosophical way that he conceived of his plan to kill half the population of Life as death is a 'change agent' to bring equilibrium to the universe ('balanced as all things should be') and does this because of his infatuation with Mistress Death. He twists the common maxim "when good people do nothing evil wins" to "when death does nothing Life wins" which in his experience results in overpopulation and misery as inadequate economic resources--thus "death as a change agent" and "genocide as an economic policy". So it adds a philosophical edge to his cinematic motivation which stays the same. And we see Mistress Death for the first time, with a little explanation why Thanos's motivation, 1) infatuation and crush, 2) economic solution to overpopulation. 

After Thanos achieves his goal and looks at the sunset/sunrise we can add another appearance by Mistress Death in which she has rejected his "offering of love" which adds a level of Greek tragedy to the whole situation. We can see that all the heroes that died have been for nothing, Mistress Death rejected Thanos' philosophy -- "death as change agent to bring balance" and that Thanos WON, but really DID lose everything. 

After seeing all the heroes disintegrate, and the above scene it would be a second gut punch of emotion for the audience. And in a perverse way adds sympathy to the villain. As he did it in the name of love but was rejected. And all this in a "popcorn blockbuster" -- Greek tragedy in a superhero film. 

Thanos stated that after he achieved victory the universe would be "grateful", his words, but that doesn't include Mistress Death--she isn't grateful. He won, but he lost. 

So just a couple of minutes of extra screen time required to carry this off. And Thanos gets to keep his comic book motivation, and his new cinematic one. 

The end. (Of part 1) 

15 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Except that mythic Thor's gauntlets were called Jarngreipr ("iron gripper"), and Thor's belt of strength was named Megingjoro (literally "strength belt"). Heimdall, or Heimdallr, carried Gjallarhorn ("yelling horn" or "loud-sounding horn").

Indeed, and thank you for helping to make my original point. For obvious reasons, none of those items were given American names by their Asgardian owners or the dwarves that made them, and it stands to reason (the same obvious reason, in fact) that Eitri would have given Thor's new hammer an appropriately Nordic name as well, not something that sounds like it came from a 70's-era American sword-and-sorcery novel.

You do accept that the sword-and-sorcery genre was inspired by real-world myth and folklore, right?

Honestly, I don't see the big deal. The original names for these things are in Old Norse because that's what the people who named them spoke. If they spoke English the names would have been in English. But today's movies are aimed primarily at an English-speaking audience. If a particular name sounds classier in the original Norse, you use that. If it would be more evocative in English (like Stormbreaker), you use that. Otherwise you have to get into the debate of whether MCU Asgardians speak Old Norse, which I ain't opening on this thread. :no:

Sure, but Thor calls his hammer Mjolnir in all the movies despite the fact that the viewing audience is composed primarily of people who have never heard that name before and wouldn't know any better if they'd changed it to "Godcrusher" as some sort of "loose translation" just for their benefit. The same instinct to keep the name Mjolnir should, in my view, drive the choosing of a similarly Nordic name for the new hammer. What's good for the goose (original hammer) is good for the gander (new hammer).