DC Comics may go away as Mad Magazine Has.

On August 16, 2019 at 4:19 PM, Cassandra said:

What the heck happened to Elizabeth Banks career that she's hosting one?

I think the fact that I straight-up asked myself "who the *)^$ is Elizabeth Banks, then did a quick google, and found myself still not knowing anything more than "American actress" pretty well answers that.

7 hours ago, zslane said:

Sounds to me like she dispensed with the "acting career" and is now working in the show business equivalent of McDonald's.

mmmmmmm.... who is Banks?  Should I know her?

PS...yes I could search for the info, but it has been a long day and that switch in my bottom has clicked and the lazy has kicked in.

11 minutes ago, Spence said:

PS...yes I could search for the info, but it has been a long day and that switch in my bottom has clicked and the lazy has kicked in.

It's not a switch.  It's a mineral absorption problem.  It's when the iron in your blood doesn't do it's thing properly, and turns to lead in your backside. ;)

2 hours ago, Spence said:

mmmmmmm.... who is Banks?  Should I know her?

It took me a while to figure out that she was Effie Trinket. Once I worked that out, it made Press Your Luck into a (more) dystopian game show. I figure if you whammy out, they should put your picture up while the cannon sounds.

On 8/15/2019 at 11:49 AM, Cassandra said:

i think there is a general decline in entertainment over all due to poor writing.  Movie, TV, and Comics all suffer because there is a real disconnect between those who produce content and their audience.

Very true, across the board.  The craft of writing is not taught any more.  What is taught is purely utilitarian, or in the service of an agenda, rather than a story. Worse, is that technical criticism is seen as exclusive, and damaging to disadvantaged students. Also amateur writers don't receive much in the way of criticism, especially in fan-fic communities. because it is seen as demotivational, for a group that is "just having fun".

Then the ubiquity of screens has removed the attraction of the printed word for the younger generations.

Ah well.

We also have a generation of would-be writers who have been trained to communicate ideas in under 144 characters (or whatever the ludicrously low limit is now). The immediacy of social media is also making the discipline of carefully crafting a narrative a lost art, as everyone rushes to inject their thoughts into the bitstream as quickly and carelessly as possible.

12 minutes ago, zslane said:

We also have a generation of would-be writers who have been trained to communicate ideas in under 144 characters (or whatever the ludicrously low limit is now). The immediacy of social media is also making the discipline of carefully crafting a narrative a lost art, as everyone rushes to inject their thoughts into the bitstream as quickly and carelessly as possible.

hard to be concise

with a limited format

say Twitter users

20 minutes ago, pinecone said:

Dude are you throwing shade onto my idea for the great american novel, written in 144 word chapters!!!...😜

It was the GOAT of Times, it was the Suxxors of Times; it was the time of keeping it a hundret, it was a time of frontin', it was a time of LIkes, and a time of deep fakes.SUPER Brite! And Goth dim! It was the release date of buzz and the post release date of buzz kill. We had a lot, but a lot of that lot was not so fetch. We were getting our fifteen, but downvotes were on their way. TLDR; same as it ever was with the people saying it is what it is. Deal with it.

On 8/18/2019 at 2:51 PM, Duke Bushido said:

I think the fact that I straight-up asked myself "who the *)^$ is Elizabeth Banks, then did a quick google, and found myself still not knowing anything more than "American actress" pretty well answers that.

I guess her guest spot on 30 Rock was a long time ago.

Sometimes I feel like Fry from Futurama.  He was watching the debate between the Candidates for President of the World and said "Wait a minute.  We live in the United States.  What do we care who the President of the World is."  "Fry, the United States is part of the World,"  Leela explains.  "Wow, I have been gone a long time,"  Fry responded.

6 hours ago, Hermit said:

It was the GOAT of Times, it was the Suxxors of Times; it was the time of keeping it a hundret, it was a time of frontin', it was a time of LIkes, and a time of deep fakes.SUPER Brite! And Goth dim! It was the release date of buzz and the post release date of buzz kill. We had a lot, but a lot of that lot was not so fetch. We were getting our fifteen, but downvotes were on their way. TLDR; same as it ever was with the people saying it is what it is. Deal with it.

It Was the Best of Thymes, It Was the Worst of Thymes: The Complete History of the Spice Girls

7 hours ago, Cassandra said:

I guess her guest spot on 30 Rock was a long time ago.

In the interest of full disclosure:  I grew up farming  in a house that didn't have electricity until I was thirteen.

I never really developed a TV habit. To this day, I don't think I watch two hours a week.  Though I may start to do it, since it now has fewer commercials than youtube.

7 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Sometimes I feel like Fry from Futurama.  He was watching the debate between the Candidates for President of the World and said "Wait a minute.  We live in the United States.  What do we care who the President of the World is."  "Fry, the United States is part of the World,"  Leela explains.  "Wow, I have been gone a long time,"  Fry responded.

yep.   Six months from sixty, I totally feel the disconnect.  :lol:

18 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

In the interest of full disclosure:  I grew up farming  in a house that didn't have electricity until I was thirteen.

I never really developed a TV habit. To this day, I don't think I watch two hours a week.  Though I may start to do it, since it now has fewer commercials than youtube.

(I'm three years from sixty, in the now-looking-back-at-it sense.)

Six of my first eighteen years were spent in places where we didn't have TV (US-made TVs weren't compatible with the German civilian system then, and the Armed Forces Network TV system didn't exist yet).  In those six years I read a lot of comic books.  (Aaaahhhhh, the Silver Age is all I crave....)  Another year was spent in the States, but in a place where reception was at best very iffy and we were much too cheap for cable. 

(*Cancer omits the obligatory "Get offa my lawn"*)

I admit the time we as a family invested the most time in watching TV was summer 1967 through midsummer 1968 ... since my dad was in Viet Nam and TV had something like current information on what was going on there.  Quite coincidentally, I also got to watch Seasons I and II of Star Trek (TOS) in first run before we got shipped off to Europe for the second time. 

Mind you, there was some TV stuff that was ... uh ... mind-expanding?  From the early-or-mid 1970s, this ad (60 seconds of high-grade weirdness) may leave you wondering what the ad writers were on.

On 8/20/2019 at 6:16 PM, Duke Bushido said:

I didn't see a color episode of Wonder Woman until 1986.

Get up, clean lake etc, etc, etc. 

I was born in Circle, Alaska in 1960.  When I was 13, my father and grandfather went in together and bought a largish generator.  The diesel engine was shot out, but they rigged it to a steam engine, which drew from the same wood-fired boiler that heated the barn.  My grandfather, us, and a couple of uncles all drew light from that generator. 

As for the accuracy of this report, it shouldn't be _that_ hard to check it out:  when I left Alaska in '84 (nope; I'm not from the south, but I got here as fast as I could), the "electric company" was supplying power to the entire town with a massive diesel generator.   As far as I know, they still are.   It's a long damned way from anywhere else. 

39 minutes ago, Bazza said:

All of you talking about reality tv et al, and hooked on this current season of Survivor AU. 

Survivor? That show still going?  I'd have thought it would have ran out of gas years ago. 

I watch some of the forging shows and the occasional contest show like the short lived TopShot. 

But nothing in the realm of the shows that are branded with the moniker of shame "Reality TV".  They are just too stupid these days.