Gymnastics Abuse: far more widespread than you might think

unclevlad

Sorry it might be paywalled for you.  Interesting read;  it also makes me worried about other youth sports programs, especially those that tend to be more insular.  Figure skating comes to mind.  But even the more open programs...how much of this goes on at youth football or basketball camps?  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/sports/olympics/gymnastics-abuse-athlete-a.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

I read Crossing the Line more than two decades ago, so it's kind of surprising to me that so many people are surprised by abuse and molestation in athletics. It makes me glad to have been a nerd growing up, as my Art teachers and Quiz Bowl coaches were protective motherly types who had the best interests of the kids under their care in mind.

2 hours ago, massey said:

I mean, I figured it was pretty widespread in the first place.  How many adult men really want to hang around preteen girls?

I admit I have vehemently suspected -- heck, taken for granted, personally -- that US TV's obsession with women's gymnastics over the last 50-plus years has, bluntly, been due to a circle of influential perverts of exactly that persuasion, probably within the networks themselves but possibly outside them and just pulling strings with their network buddies.  (The first Olympics I had the opportunity to watch on TV was 1972; I could have watched the 1964 and 1968 games had we been in places with US TV.)  The list of events that got literally zero coverage (field hockey, modern pentathlon, shooting, team handball, judo, etc.) seemed much more interesting to me than gymnastics, even when I try to control for my strong bias against events that have to be judged rather than having clear objective scoring criteria.

On 8/5/2020 at 9:46 PM, Cancer said:

I admit I have vehemently suspected -- heck, taken for granted, personally -- that US TV's obsession with women's gymnastics over the last 50-plus years has, bluntly, been due to a circle of influential perverts of exactly that persuasion, probably within the networks themselves but possibly outside them and just pulling strings with their network buddies.  (The first Olympics I had the opportunity to watch on TV was 1972; I could have watched the 1964 and 1968 games had we been in places with US TV.)  The list of events that got literally zero coverage (field hockey, modern pentathlon, shooting, team handball, judo, etc.) seemed much more interesting to me than gymnastics, even when I try to control for my strong bias against events that have to be judged rather than having clear objective scoring criteria.

When I was 12 to about 15 I liked it...so I guess I agree....

On 8/5/2020 at 9:00 PM, massey said:

I mean, I figured it was pretty widespread in the first place.  How many adult men really want to hang around preteen girls?

When I had preteen girls, I didn't mind hanging out with preteen girls. They tended to like junk food and wanted to talk about anime.

I'm a little less tolerant now even though I still like junk food and anime.

When I got my start in RPG writing, my publisher worked in his home with his family. His little girl loved figure skating. When it was mentioned the she fantasized about being a figure skater, my mind immediately turned to that and gymnastics, another sport with disturbingly young participants. I thought about the way juding, training, and the process of screening for the best athletes, and it made me realize that these are cruel games in a lot of ways.

To get to Olympic levels when your are a competitor as young as 15 is so unbelievably difficult that I'm amazed anyone can do it.

7 hours ago, Starlord said:

Speaking of abuse of preteen girls

https://twitter.com/SamParkerSenate/status/1290986237315039232?s=20

Umm, way to be unbelievably creepy Hasbro.  

I am confused. Looks just like a Trolls doll from the movie, which is what it is supposed to be? How is this either creepy or abuse of preteen girls? It's not meant to represent a human girl, afaik. I may be missing the point, so apologies if I am.

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

I am confused. Looks just like a Trolls doll from the movie, which is what it is supposed to be? How is this either creepy or abuse of preteen girls? It's not meant to represent a human girl, afaik. I may be missing the point, so apologies if I am.

Did you watch the video?

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

I did, or at least most of it. maybe I missed something at the end. Just seemed to show the doll, then the box. again, I am probably missing something, so no big deal.

With the sound on, or off?

The HIGHLY disturbing part starts around the 1:25 mark.  Starlord's underselling this, IMO.  It is really, REALLY bad.

It has also been pulled:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/06/business/hasbro-removes-trolls-doll-poppy-button-trnd/index.html

11 hours ago, slikmar said:

I did, or at least most of it. maybe I missed something at the end. Just seemed to show the doll, then the box. again, I am probably missing something, so no big deal.

There's a button on the crotch that makes happy sounds when you push it.

5 hours ago, slikmar said:

ah, that is what I missed. yeah, that is bad placement

3 hours ago, archer said:

They could put the button on the doll's chest but I don't think that'd be a great deal of improvement.

the back is the traditional (and least controversial) place