Interesting facility names

archer

I really like peppering my worlds with oddly-named places whether for humor or as an homage to something.

For example, a Catholic hospital called Sweet Mother of Mercy.

That's homage to the original portrayal of Luke Cage's Power Man who seemed to put the word "sweet" in front of various words as if it were some sort of catchphrase bought with a variable effect. "Sweet Christmas!"

Anything memorable that you've done or run across?

An invisibility spell went wrong on one fantasy game world and turned a tavern's walls permanently invisible.

People took to calling it the Outside Inn because all the people sitting around tables while drinking appeared to be sitting outdoors. And it became something of a tourist attraction. The regulars make a game of trying to get someone, whether inside or outside, to run into a wall (which is a great excuse to start a bar fight).

Well, someone or some thing. People bringing in grain to throw on the floor to attract pigeons (or horses) was a nuisance until the innkeep figured out it was easier to sell a handful of grain than to pester people into stopping.

I've since used the Outside Inn several times.

1 minute ago, Tjack said:

I’m from Massachusetts so I’ve often passed the town signs that say “Entering Beverly” and the even more disconcerting “Entering Quincy”.

Is there a corresponding sign saying "You are now leaving Beverly. Thanks for your visit and please come again soon"?

8 minutes ago, Tjack said:

I’m from Massachusetts so I’ve often passed the town signs that say “Entering Beverly” and the even more disconcerting “Entering Quincy”.

Gotcha beat. In PA, we have Blue Ball, Bird-in-hand, then Paradise. All in a row 😜. Going to my Mother in Law’s, the is a Pithole too! 

Here in Michigan we have Hell (my maternal grandmother lived there, and my dad used to say he could tell his mother-in-law to go to Hell... and she would), Paradise, Climax, Vulcan, Christmas...

But back to the OP.

In the "Killer Frost" episode of The Flash, I liked where they had a frozen food plant with a truck outside labeled "Ledded Goh Frozen Foods".

I remember someone here once said that, given the large number of ambushes that kept taking place when the heroes sat down to eat, he gave his campaign city a French restaurant:  Le Piege Evident.

3 hours ago, Tjack said:

3 hours ago, Tjack said:

There’s also Marion, Sharon and Lawrence.  My car is a slut.

There's a whole song about that by John Forster:  "Entering Marion"

2 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Gotcha beat. In PA, we have Blue Ball, Bird-in-hand, then Paradise. All in a row 😜. Going to my Mother in Law’s, the is a Pithole too! 

We've got Hopeyaliktit.

Seriously:  if it was any smaller, all the town limit signs would be in the same post.   First time I went through it was in the 80s, back when I was moving houses (actually, every time I have been through it was when I was moving houses.  Damn I miss doing that  :(  ).  It's cute:  the "entering" sign is "welcome to."  That's it.  a few yards later, the "leaving" sign is "Hope ya liked it!"

:rofl:

3 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I remember someone here once said that, given the large number of ambushes that kept taking place when the heroes sat down to eat, he gave his campaign city a French restaurant:  Le Piege Evident.

I not only remember that, I _stole_ it!  :D

British Columbia has Push and Be Damned Rapids, while there's a town in Quebec named St. Louis de Ha! Ha!

On Champions Earth there's a couple of interesting place names in New Mexico. In the desert of White Sands, where the first atomic bomb was tested, many years later an experimental "delta bomb" was detonated which left the desert permanently irradiated with strange energy. That energy also mutated animals and humans in the desert into zombielike forms. The desert has since been renamed Burning Sands. Also in New Mexico, a recreation of a frontier town, supposedly a tourist attraction, was actually set up as a front to cover a VIPER research lab. The town is called Snake Gulch.

I don't know which game it started in, but quite some time ago one one of our GMs kept on saying the bad guys were in the Abandoned Warehouses. So we started calling it "The Abandoned Warehouse District".

Of coarse there is the misspelling "The Abandoned Whorehouse District"

16 hours ago, Strand said:

I don't know which game it started in, but quite some time ago one one of our GMs kept on saying the bad guys were in the Abandoned Warehouses. So we started calling it "The Abandoned Warehouse District".

Of coarse there is the misspelling "The Abandoned Whorehouse District"

The question begs: what kind of community would abandon the whorehouses?

I always liked the bar in Family Guy being called the Drunken Clam.  The Censors might have just taken this as stated because the town of Quahog is named for a clam.  But at least here in the Northeastern U.S. that word is also used to describe a part of the female anatomy.

The closest my Champions campaigns ever came to a "joke" name was Fort Straithness, where the US government supers program conducted some of its fringier research. The people who worked there called it Fort Strangeness.

The sup[er-prison was formally named the United Ststes Superbeing Containment and Research Facility (US-SCARF), but was usually called the Lab Cage.

Dean Shomshak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a sucker for these so my Uk hero stuff is full of them.

The Department of Administrative Affairs is the government office responsible for all extra normal activity in the UK .

It's nice and nebulous and of course is stolen from the classic sitcom Yes Minister.

I also Have a unkillable scottish vigilante called Glasgow Kiss

Blackpool's super hero is The Illuminator.

Brighton's is Promenade

London's big villain is a insane super genius former army chaplain aka the White Chaplain his gang includes the density mimic enforcer Ton O Brix, Their armorer Mr Maxwell Smith and His Silver Hammer and Sword wielding assassin Edgeware

PERIL

The Premiere Evil Research Initiative at Lansdowne is a terribly posh boutique blastershop in Pennsylvania. Somewhere, we aren’t exactly sure where the place is. 

Capes

Capes is a bar where Metas hang out. It is considered “neutral ground” where heroes can meet with villain informants, actual supervillains and the worst sort of capesluts. Its actual location is unknown.

Retropolis

Seeing the Future through the Past. A Gernsbackian industrial concern operated by the futurist Doctor Retroscope. Headquartered at Retropolis (City of the Future), the lab and the city surrounding it are part amusement park, part heavy industrial research facility. Its functions are controlled not by Doctor Retroscope but by the Vacuum Tube Vixen, Galetea.

The Home

A secret base for very old heroes, the Home provide medical care for alien Metabolisms, and control devices for those brave meta-codgers who no longer master their abilities.

Paragon Labs

Paragon Labs™ specialize in Hero Training and Event Management. When the weird happens, the weird get going. They flit around the planet thanks to a purple cat who can teleport en masse.

Frost Labs
Frost Labs supports various governments and private armies as a mercenary research organization. They also make blasters, is what I’m saying.