The Old Folks Home

Starlord

On 4/22/2021 at 12:47 PM, Pariah said:

Tires that aren't radials.

I'm not sure what you're missing here:

is simply the existence of the choice, or the knuckle-whitening terror of doing seventy on bias ply tires as the attempt to follow every tiny bump and groove on the pavement at all times?  

10 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Oh man, back when I was a child, there was a HUGE tire fire in the town I lived in...

That hurts.  The "when I was a child" part.

I was twenty-six...  :cry:

Yeah.  I first saw a lava lamp in the dentist's office when I was 10 (1966/7) and was amazed.  I got one for myself some 20 years later.  Kept it for a long time, but it became an inevitable breakage casualty only a couple of years back (while moving stuff during Christmas feast prep).  Maybe I'll get another one, but it won't happen until we purge a bunch of other stuff that has accumulated here (multiple deaths in the family will do that) so there's again a safe place to put it.

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

playing TREK on a 110 baud teletype ... suspense!

and LOUD!!!!

But I could do the math and clear out all but the worst clusters pretty easily...the suspense tended to be pretty rare.  3 Klingons?  Bring em on!  Unless my resources were running super low, anyway.

No one wanted to play Battle against me either...cuz I figured out the trajectory equation, or really close...

24 minutes ago, pinecone said:

I remeber playing games on Plato. the precurser to the "Internet"....

Avatar was huge on Plato when I was in college.  The game was so obviously addicting that I never attempted to play it.  My own Plato experience was limited to physics extra credit assignments, which was an especially infuriating way to discover which function keys weren't working on a given terminal.

I never played on PLATO much at all;  we simply didn't have enough terminals to play.

What I DID do for a couple years...punched cards.  OMG, I hated those.  Typos were unfixable;  the card's wrecked. We had a self-serve card reader, but you still had to wait for the code to run, then the results print out, and be laid out by the system operator.  Readers *mangled* decks from time to time.

Second worst format I ever had to deal with;  the worst was in HS, where we had paper tape ONLY.  One tear and the entire tape's got to be re-punched...and the paper was flimsy, especially with holes punched.  I never loaded from magnetic (cassette-style) tapes;  we did load from the bigger, 10" or whatever reel tapes, but that at least had a decent storage capacity (for the day anyway).

And as the pilot of Apollo 11 passed away today...

sitting around the TV with the entire family, as Neil Armstrong takes one small step....

We may make it back to the moon;  I doubt it, but it's possible, I suppose.  That won't be the same.  If we put a man on MARS...that would be major.  But I don't see that...ever.  The problems here will mean the resources to do this, will never be allocated.  (And I don't think we'll avoid catastrophe, either.)

Never got into LOGO but I do remember one undergrad class where we had to work in LISP.  And the lower-level undergrad classes taught PASCAL.  I think I also had a Borland Turbo Pascal compiler at some point, but we're talking a LONG time ago.  

Hooooo boy...."portable" computers the size of a medium suitcase, and the case wasn't that far off.  Almost needed both hands to lug the darn things.

Kaypro as the leading clone maker....!!!  Advertising oneself as an IBM clone.

The OS/2 operating system...