The Old Folks Home

Starlord

15 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Getting up in the middle of the night to watch a space shuttle launch.

I lived in Central Florida until 1982. I watched the original launch of Columbia in 1981 on television and then through my windows as it gained enough altitude to be seen above the trees 60 miles away from the launch site.

I was in Florida during one of the early Shuttle launches, before the Challenger disaster. It was on television, but I could step outside the house and see the actual launch. I couldn't see the actual shuttle because the house was far from the launch site, but I could see the exhaust.

2 hours ago, Pariah said:

My friend's dad had a Datsun pickup truck.

Ha, *I* had a Datsun pickup truck.  It was really easy to work on, which is good, because I had to work on it quite a bit.

Cars that had no computers in them at all.  Or fuel injection for that matter.

Hand crank windows. 

Three pedals on the floor.

The Wambach/Bolt Gatorade ad was just on...and it kicked off a thought.  The last scene is an attempt at inline skating, which doesn't go well.

When's the last time anyone even thought about inline skates?  I thought about getting some back in the 90s;  it would've been a good way to get some exercise, and I worked on campus at the time.  Never did.  I think one reason I didn't was, it would've been a bit of a pain to carry regular shoes.  Plus, technically, much of the center part of campus that I would've preferred to use, was no bikes, boards, or blades.  (Understandable enough.)

Then they fell off the face of the planet.  So most millenials have probably never heard of em.

Speaking of UHF...dials and knobs on a TV, rather than buttons and maybe sliders.  Ohhh...rabbit ears!!!  

Probably the same with radios, actually.  Well...perhaps not;  there's probably enough older cars with dial radios.  And I saw a few offered on Amazon.

On 4/30/2021 at 8:57 AM, Cygnia said:

Channels on UHF

We still have those actually, with more variety than just PBS even. And they still have rabbit ears. All the HD channels are in that band and you can use an indoor antenna even on your digital TV. We did last year for a week when the hurricane knocked out our cable but not our electricity. Just gotta go thru and reprogram the channels for over the air instead of cable