Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Had a fun one-shot Stone Age fantasy game yesterday (D&D rules):

The GM describes an NPC race:

"They look kindof like a cross between Night Elves and the Ramones."

All the members of our tribe have names like Warmth of the Sun, Stone in River, Light of the Earth, and so forth. So whenever we needed an NPC villager to do something, we made up silly names based on what we wanted them to be able to do.

So when we needed messengers: "I'll send Fleet of NPC and NPC of Foot to alert the other villages."

And after the player fails to convince one NPC to do something: "I go find Malleable Thought -- He'll do it!"

In this world, there are a number of glowing celestial objects in the night sky, called "Eyes" by the natives. The number of eyes increase as the night goes on; so the more eyes, the later it is. So "There are many eyes in the sky" is basically a way of saying "It's very late." But one of the players had forgotten this, and mistook the NPC's comment for more mystic babbling, and responded in kind:

Mystic NPC: "There are many eyes in the sky."

Skeptic PC: "Yeah, and many badgers in the water. So?"

(I'll spare you the resulting two hours of badger puns.)

Finally, my character's son (a PC) was married to another PC who was something of a religious fanatic. My character didn't really approve of the marriage. So yes, I got to play...the Evil Mother In Law." :eg:

In character: "Now dear you know I'd never say anything against your wife, BUT..."

And OOC: "I just got 31 on my Diplomacy roll to convince the grandchildren that they like Daddy better than Mommy."

Re: Susano's post: Wouldn't "Skidmarks on Satan's Underwear" be an awesome name for a heavy metal band...?

During an exchange between two NPCs, one of whom is a self-styled cowboy gunslinger and the other is the most powerful native american shaman in the world.

"The Cowboy": There you go again with all that great spirit stuff.

"The Shaman: (Grabs The Cowboy by the shirt...) Listen up, Ruxnall. The Great Spirit thinks you suck!

OOC chatter:

Rastal's player: "What'd you do, grow up in a barn?"

Everyone else, in unison: "No, a cave!"

Danaecus: "You owe an apology to Brimill."

Rastal: "Hasn't he already gotten enough apologies out of the women in Elmfair . . .?"

After witnessing the appearance of a Seraphim, who had some admonishments for the church, a cleric (NPC) excuses himself to go throw up. Rastal calls after him, "Make sure it's in an upright, churchly fashion!"

Danaecus: I grab Rastal and head back.

Rastal: "Hey, watch where you grab, priest!"

Danaecus: "I'm not that kind of priest."

Flora, ruminating on possibilities for using Danaecus' Disguise spell to their advantage: "We can turn Piercylwin into Sarah . . ."

(Let me know if you want more context.)

From last night's Champions game:

Sentinel's daughter Sarah had her 14th birthday party, and Sentinel's boyfriend bought Sarah a pet lizard.

Sarah: I think I'll name him Emilio.

Sentinel: Why Emilio?

Sarah: After that character in that Buckaroo Banzai movie - Emilio Lizardo!

- - - - - - -

Synergy, investigating an alley where a stolen van was found, flies up to a rooftop to find a stoner guy (Jimmy Brown) sunbathing.

Jimmy: "Whoa, cool outfit, dude. Wanna beer?"

Jimmy reveals that a half hour ago, he saw the members of ADEPT (high-tech villain team) fly onto the roof on the other side of the alley, originally disguised as VIPER agents.

Synergy: Did you offer *them* a beer?

- - - - - - -

Due to RL issues, the player of Serendipity, luck-based Irish heroine, couldn't be there for this game.

Squeeze is swinging by and sees five members of ADEPT on the rooftop of a vacant apartment building. He's spotted by Soundwave but doesn't want to take the villains on alone, so Squeeze swings into an empty apartment below through a broken window. Intending to give chase, Soundwave calls his flying surfboard, which zooms over the rooftop. To save time, Soundwave decides to jump onto the board while it's in motion (he has clinging). Unfortunately, he completely blows his DEX roll and misses the board, falling flat on his butt.

Synergy: Wow, it's like Serendipity is actually here...

- - - - - - -

ROVer (of ADEPT) has 16 remote-controlled robotic Followers that look like different breeds of dogs, and he treats them like pets. I had previously asked my daughters (age 14 and 11) to help me name them. Which led to the following exchange:

ROVer (after his NND attacks fail to work on Squeeze): Don't make me bring out Sir Fuzzalot!

Styx: Okay, that just sounds *wrong*!

- - - - - - -

Dr. Discus hits Synergy with a standard metal disc, a 12d6 physical EB -- and rolls seven 6's and nothing below a 3 on the other five dice, stunning the hero.

Dr. Discus: "Now *that* is a proof of my Theory of the Universal Discal Constant!"

- - - - - - -

Fractal (winding up for a ice-fisted haymaker on an entangled Squeeze): This one's coming from Toledo!

Squeeze: Y'know, I never liked Toledo.

From last night's Champions game:

Sentinel's daughter Sarah had her 14th birthday party, and Sentinel's boyfriend bought Sarah a pet lizard.

Sarah: I think I'll name him Emilio.

Sentinel: Why Emilio?

Sarah: After that character in that Buckaroo Banzai movie - Emilio Lizardo!

Five bucks says it's a baby dragon.

After the players discuss their plan of attack in front of the GM.

"Don't worry the GM is impartial"

We had a moment like that in our last session. I was explaining my plan to the other players.

GM: "I like your plan. I almost feel bad for what's about to happen.

A few quotes from the latest session of my Iconic Earth campaign.

Crusader (Superman-type, eager to find out more about his people): You have off-world, alien contacts? Ive got some questions Id like answered.

Lawstar (Green lantern type): Yes, I do-

Lightningbolt (fastest man alive) *interrupts*:-Ive got some questions too! Whats with all the anal probing!??

-------------------

Lawstar *thinking as he watches his gorgeous childhood friend, Dana, interview Crusader*: Hmm....I wonder if shes about to be probed by an alien...

--------------------

Lawstar: The Alley Man stitches parts of dead bodies together in some way that makes them into organic robots. Since my Power Crystal cant effect anything that was once alive, but now isnt, I have a problem with that.

Lightningbolt: Dude! We ALL have a problem with that! :ugly:

--------------------

Golden Phoenix: Dont look at me in that tone of voice!

--------------------

Hermes (the actual Olympian): This place you call the Nexus; Zeus is interested in acquiring this.

Golden Phoenix: Has he run out of women here on Earth?

-------------------

Scarlet Sorceress: What does Zeus really look like?

Golden Phoenix: Whatever gets your underwear off the fastest

-------------------

GM: ...And so the Mayor of New York City gives a rousing speech commemorating how you defeated Molokk and his invading armies.

Lawstar (OOC): "You must be at least This Big to conquor this planet"...

-------------------

Huntress: We still dont know Molokk's real motive for attempting to conquor the Earth.

Golden Phoenix: He likes our produce so much he wants to keep the planet?

-------------------

So all that Amazon technology is powered by Ovarian Radiation....:help:

Scarlet Sorceress: What does Zeus really look like?

Golden Phoenix: Whatever gets your underwear off the fastest

Random tangent: *Really* makes you wonder about King Minos' wife, doesn't it?

More on-topic: From the Milwaukee Masks campaign.

Lab Rat: "Mom? Dad? I'm *really* sorry that I made them try to kill us by questioning their historical accuracy."

~~~===~~~

GM (Me, OOC): And Zig-Zag keeps poking sharp body parts into Warpath... God that sounds wrong.

~~~===~~~

Bullseye (OOC): "How many dice of Unluck did you hide on my character sheet?"

~~~===~~~

Quan-Lin (IC): "Let me have a nibble... I mean chat with our captured agents. I'm sure they'd be most cooperative in telling me what they know."

~~~===~~~

Quan-Lin (OOC): "On the way back, Quan-Lin insists on sticking his head out the sun roof so the wind can blow in his face... kinda like a really big dog."

~~~===~~~

And, from just a few moments ago....

Bullseye: "Welcome to the Festival of Ones, here at Crapplebees!"

Guest Major Tom

There's an anthropomorphic tiger-striped skunkfem in your campaign giving

one of your PCs (Warpath) a hard time?

Sounds like one very interesting campaign...

Major Tom :sneaky:

I don't think that's quite what he meant, but nods to a fellow fur-fan, Major.

Again, back on topis, let's begin with a little context.

My brother is running a Champions game on Yahoo Groups, and there are two players currently active, me (playing "Reinard," think Batman or Daredevil as a cartoon fox) and someone whose name will not be posted for a lack of permission (he plays "Sentinel", a Silver Age superman-type who is also a WWII veteran.)

Well, lately, there have been some mysterious disappearances and Sentinel and Reinard have gotten to communicate with an overworked commissioner (or whatever rank) concerning these vanishing of women of the evening. Reinard has heard that there may be someone killing these women, and the commissioner thinks that maybe these ladies are dissappearing on their own choice, trying to stay hidden. Then Sentinel, true blue hero that he is, has this lovely statement:

"Lieutenant, I know your Department is very busy, and I appreciate that you've taken this time to see us... but every Human Life is worthwhile, no matter how foolishly someone makes their decisions! Yes, some of these 'Ladies of the Evening' disappear because they choose to... but that same habit also makes them easy prey for those who have need of certain victims... whether for Human Slavery, Medical Experimentation... or worse!", The Sentinel declares.

"Would you really care to just shrug these disappearances off, only to have these women return as Cyborged Ninja, or some such? It's happened before, I'm afraid..."

Emphasis is mine.:P

*snickers* As much as I'd *love* to say that was the situation... no.

Y'see, Warpath is a member of the Warmachine, the Warlord's super-powered lieutenants. They're currently trying to kill one of the NPC heroes, and the PC's are helping out (since they were present when Warpath shot an explosive arrow into the middle of them.)

Zig-Zag is another CU character - in this case, a supervillain I've remodelled into a female superhero working for UNTIL. One of the powers is to extend spikes from her body and into somebody trying to hit her - or into somebody she's Entangled.

She's currently has Warpath entangled, and is using her Damage Shield against her.

Ultimately, it doesn't make it sound any less horrible... but it *does* take MBR's (in?)famous character off the hook.

Besides, if she was in the campaign, it'd be as Lust Lass. ;P

Wrong Zig-Zag!

"Would you really care to just shrug these disappearances off' date=' [i']only to have these women return as Cyborged Ninja, or some such?[/i] It's happened before, I'm afraid..."

Emphasis is mine.:P

Don't laugh - it's happened to us! ;)