Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Really? Then I have to ask: Did they know it was a harmless object and were messing the the DM' date=' or did they honestly assess it as a threat?[/quote']

Honestly assessed as a threat.

Keep in mind, this was back when any unknown word used to describe something was likely to be its "name" in the Monster Folio or Fiend Manual or whatever ;)

From our Friday night game.

(The group's money is tied up in an account where half the group has to vote before someone can remove money.)

Timmy: I'll need money to add an air supply to my motorcycle helmet.

Rev: Like I'm voting for that.

Jade: All he has to do is walk up and say 'Hey, everyone. I have a way to look even dorkier than I do right now.' and I'll vote for it.

Jack-Jack: Seconded!

---------------------------------------------------

(The group has just captured a person with air powers.)

Ana: Tie her to the floor. She probably can't use her powers while in contact with the ground.

Jade: We're on the second floor.

----------------------------------------------------

GM: So, is the van you were riding in stolen?

Rev (OOC): I thought we bought it.

Ana (OOC): I thought we stole it.

Jade (OOC): How about the money to buy a car was given to Jade, who stole the van and kept the money.

Rev (OOC): I can see that.

----------------------------------------------------

Session 18 of Shadows Angelus:

We had a lot of action, and there were some great lines I know I missed, but here's what I noted down ->

Mike (OOC): "They call it "Shadows 'Collateral Damage' Angelus" for a reason."

Grady: "I Abort to defecate."

Jamadigni Renuka, animist sorceress is at -4 BODY and will die if she gets to -8. Recent events have shown us that our boss, the Director of XSWAT, is the spirit of California in human form. Jama can call upon spirits to do her bidding. So she goes --

"Alice Cadbury, Spirit of California, Protector of Angelus

One of your chosen lies dying.

Please lend some of your power,

If you have any to give.

So I might live to defend Angelus another day."

Her VPP is 50 points, or 5d6 of Healing. The GM let me roll 8d6. He also declared I could buy my VPP up to 60 points once the session was over. On the other hand, he also told us this meant the monsters trying to take over Angelus are now that much closer to breaking through....

Well, I love the spirit of California quote.

Today, during the Mind over Matter playtest, Greyshadow, the Grim Vigilante, had a moment of romantic weakness during a mind link.

Outback (Over the mind link): I have to go for a couple of hours, there's something I need to do upstate.

Greyshadow: That's...fine...I'll...persevere.

Jamadigni Renuka, animist sorceress is at -4 BODY and will die is she gets to -8. Recent events have shown us our boss, the Director of XSWAT, is the spirit of California in human form. Jama can call upon spirits to do her bidding. So she does --

"Alice Cadbury, Spirit of California, Protector of Angelus

One of your chosen lies dying."

Please lend some of your power,

If you have any to give.

So I might live to defend Angelus another day."

Her VPP is 50 points, or 5d6 of Healing. The GM let me roll 8d6. He also declared I could buy my VPP up to 60 points once the session was over. On the other hand, he also told us this meant the monsters trying to take over Angelus are now that much closer to breaking through....

What Susano omitted was my totally OOC response to her incantation:

"Your boobs grow 2 inches."

I'm a baaaaad boy. :o

What Susano omitted was my totally OOC response to her incantation:

"Your boobs grow 2 inches."

I'm a baaaaad boy. :o

I filed that line in the same folder as Highlander 2 and those rumors of Alien 3 and Alien 4.

Susano: I filed that line in the same folder as Highlander 2 and those rumors of Alien 3 and Alien 4.

Uh, I'd just like to remind you that they DID make an Alien 3 and Alien 4. They just gave them new names after the word alien instead of using numbers.

Now you're just talkin' crazy.

During the Mind over Matter playtest, Shadow Lord is trying to convince a prison guard and a prison nurse that he is not removing a villain from their custody to check if the negative effect on him remains in another dimension. Using his vast magical powers as one of the three most powerful mages on Earth, he creates a cheesy afterimage of the villain and spirits him away to his dimension.

Meanwhile, while he's away, the Nurse and the Prison Guard roll a 4 and a 5 on their perception rolls respectively.

Shadow Lord reappears, to discover the nurse passing her hand through the image and the prison guard saying "What the hell is going on here?"

Shadow Lord: I used the Mystic Bands of K'Karrenal on him! It temporarily places him out of phase with this reality in order to shield him from magical effects.

Nurse: Okay...

This mystic ability doesn't exist. He completely BSed them because they didn't know anything about magic. It was hilarious!

Here, read this:

http://www.dndadventure.com/html/articles/gaming_stories.html

It was done years later in a Knights of the Dinner Table strip.

The "Head of Vecna" story is well known by my gaming group:

The Head of Vecna

Many years ago (back when we all were still playing D & D), I ran a game where I pitted two groups against each other. Several members of Group One came up with the idea of luring Group Two into a trap. You remember the Hand of Vecna and the Eye of Vecna that were artifacts in the old D&D world where if you cut off your hand (or your eye) and replaced it with the Hand of Vecna (or the Eye) you'd get new awesome powers? Well, Group One thought up The Head of Vecna.

Group One spread rumors all over the countryside (even paying Bards to spread the word about this artifact rumored to exist nearby). They even went so far as to get a real head and place it under some weak traps to help with the illusion. Unfortunately, they forgot to let ALL the members of their group in on the secret plan (I suspect it was because they didn't want the Druid to get caught and tell the enemy about this trap of theirs, or maybe because they didn't want him messing with things).

The Druid in group One heard about this new artifact and went off in search of it himself (I believe to help prove himself to the party members...) Well, after much trial and tribulation, he found it; deactivated (or set off) all the traps; and took his "prize" off into the woods for examination. He discovered that it did not radiate magic (a well known trait of artifacts) and smiled gleefully.

I wasn't really worried since he was alone and I knew that there was no way he could CUT HIS OWN HEAD OFF. Alas I was mistaken as the Druid promptly summoned some carnivorous apes and instructed them to use his own scimitar and cut his head off (and of course quickly replacing it with the Head of Vecna...)

Some time later, Group one decided to find the Druid and to check on the trap. They found the headless body (and the two heads) and realized that they had erred in their plan (besides laughing at the character who had played the Druid)...The Head of Vecna still had BOTH eyes! They corrected this mistake and reset their traps and the Head for it's real intended victims...

Group Two, by this time, had heard of the powerful artifact and decided that it bore investigating since, if true, they could use it to destroy Group One. After much trial and tribulation, they found the resting place of The Head of Vecna! The were particularly impressed with the cunning traps surrounding the site (one almost missed his save against the weakest poison known to man). They recovered the Head and made off to a safe area.

Group Two actually CAME TO BLOWS (several rounds of fighting) against each other argueing over WHO WOULD GET THEIR HEAD CUT OFF! Several greedy players had to be hurt and restrained before it was decided who would be the recipient of the great powers bestowed by the Head... The magician was selected and one of them promptly cut his head off. As the player was lifting The Head of Vecna to emplace it on it's new body, another argument broke out and they spent several minutes shouting and yelling. Then, finally, they put the Head onto the character.

Well, of course, the Head simply fell off the lifeless body. All members of Group Two began yelling and screaming at each other (and at me) and then, on their own, decided that they had let too much time pass between cutting off the head of a hopeful recipient and put the Head of Vecna onto the body.

SO THEY DID IT AGAIN!... [killing another PC]

In closing, it should be said that I never even cracked a smile as all this was going on. After the second PC was slaughtered, I had to give in (my side was hurting)...

And Group Two blamed ME [Mark] for all of that...

From last night's Champions game:

The heroes are battling a new group of supervillains, which includes a big guy in plate mail named Torg. Torg isn't too bright -- imagine Mongo from Blazing Saddles. When they first saw him, he was talking to the sentient magic sword he had just liberated from a museum display case.

Torg: "Sword talked to Torg! What is sword's name?"

Sword: "My creator named me Cuthbain."

Torg: "Cutbain?"

Sword: "No, CUTHbain."

Torg: "Cuthbait?"

Sword: (sigh) "CuthBAIN."

Torg: (long pause) "Torg call sword Cutter!"

Sentinel blasts Torg with her radiation blast, causing him to heat up in his armor.

Torg: (Looking at Sentinel) "You're making Torg get all warm... does that mean Torg likes you?"

During the fight, the heroes discover there's an enchantment on Torg's armor that weakens anybody he touches. (3d6 STR Drain, Damage Shield, 0 END Persistant)

After the heroes defeat and capture Torg, along with one other villain, PRIMUS arrives -- and it's the squad whose leader the heroes do NOT get along with at all.

PRIMUS Lt. Alesha Parkinson: (surveys the trashed museum room) "Well, I can see you've done your typical amount of property damage." (Looks down at Torg's unconscious body) "Who's this bozo?"

Squeeze: "He called himself Torg." (Smiles sweetly) "He's kinda big, you want us to carry him out for you? Wouldn't want you to break a nail..."

Parkinson: (scoffing) "No, I think I can handle it." (She grabs Torg and tosses him over her shoulder; his damage shield kicks in and drains her STR away, causing her to collapse under his weight. She looks at Squeeze) "You bastard..."

One that Susano missed from the last session of Shadows Angelus:

Lt. Hemelshot, in charge of 9th Squad and played by Yar, is away and two of his officers, Carpenter and Brogan, are facing down an officious Internal Affairs officer, brazenly challenging his authority.

Yar (OOC): I'm getting that feeling again, aren't I?

Mike (OOC): You mean as if thousands of regulations suddenly cried out in terror and were silenced?

Yar: Yeah.

One that Susano missed from the last session of Shadows Angelus:

Lt. Hemelshot, in charge of 9th Squad and played by Yar, is away and two of his officers, Carpenter and Brogan, are facing down an officious Internal Affairs officer, brazenly challenging his authority.

Yar (OOC): I'm getting that feeling again, aren't I?

Mike (OOC): You mean as if thousands of regulations suddenly cried out in terror and were silenced?

Yar: Yeah.

Uhm... that wasn't me. I think you said that line.

Uhm... that wasn't me. I think you said that line.

Aw, man! There I go, trying to make up for the boob joke by giving you credit for a good quote, and you throw it right back in my face.

Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to be nice to people before stabbing them in the back... ;):D

First game of our new Deadlands campaign.

Me as nice guy bounty hunter (think Bat Lash) Clay Taylor

Chris as mercenary Jacob Stuart

Nate as the Reverend Ray Mahoney

Matt as huckster Dominic Rann

Dominic, Clay, and the Reverend are sharing a compartment in a train on its way to a boomtown. Jacob has his own private compartment across the hallway. Dominic and Clay are talking to pass the time, and it comes out that Clay is the only Yankee among the group.

Dominic (taking out a deck of cards): "So, is your money good Yankee?"

Clay: ....

Dominic: "Because if you have money, its good."

Later, Clay spots some heavily armed wagons pulling alongside the train, falling alongside the rear car. Clay (a curious type) makes the logical assumption that someone intends to rob the train, pulls his pistol and goes to investigate. Jacob follows. Now its time for Nate and Matt to decide what the Reverend and Dominic will do.

The Reverend Ray Mahoney: "Well, I can see that its time to do the Lord's work."

Nate: I pull out my pistol.

(The group's money is tied up in an account where half the group has to vote before someone can remove money.)

What kind of group would pool all their money in such a red-tape entangled method? :no: Monies that a character earns, even when operating as part of a group, are his and not the group's.

Our heroes in my friend's Eberron Game encounter some Barghests, and drive them off.

Later, we encounter a goblin trading caravan that was attacked by the creatures. Our cleric, Durnoth, says "I stop to bury the bodies and perform last rites. I would rather forced march to the nearby city than allow these people an improper burial."

My Elven warrior responds "I would rather forced march to the nearby city than stay out here where the creatures can eat us."

Our Florida heroes include a young telepath who discovers that the darkness manipulator who tried to kidnap her works for an Evil Sorcerer. Reading the darkness manipulator's mind, she discovers the location of his lair, and that it is guarded by Werewolves.

Our heroes crash the gates, and are attacked by Werewolves.

Sea Princess: *Smiting a Werewolf using a heavy silver candleholder* Sea Princess did it in the front hall with the Candlestick!

Later, confronting the Sorcerer

Sea Princess: We have LEASH LAWS in this state, you know! :tsk:

I had an old GM that didn't always get things right.

We were playing a Rifts game, and he set up this final showdown conversation between two soldiers. My GM is playing both gentlemen.

Bad Guy Soldier: we meet again, Lieutenant.

Lt. So and So: Yes.

BG: I see you've been promoted to Sergeant. Congratulations.

For the one person out there that doesn't know, a Lieutenant outranks a Sergeant. Let the heckling begin.

Player 1: Ooh, reverse psychology, pretty sneaky.

Me: At least he wasn't promoted to Private.

Also, in a DnD game, the same GM describe a Drow lair as being lit by Braziers, which he pronounced Brah-Zeers. Heckling again ensued.

Me: *sigh* those crazy frat Drows.

As usual, I caught maybe a third of the good quotes from last night's Champions game, but here are the ones I was able to jot down in time.

Concerning the new Undersecretary for Metahuman Affairs:

Enigma: “Trust him? For all we know he’s a supervillain in the making.”

GM: “No fair reading the back of the book.”

Enigma: (OOC) “****.”

Regarding an allegedly “innocent” bystander:

Inertia: “How do you know he was an innocent bystander? Once I talked to what I thought was an innocent bystander, and he shot me and tried to sacrifice me to some alien worm guy. How many times have you been sacrificed?”

Promethean: “At least once.”

Inertia: “…I need a new team.”

Inertia is disturbed that Promethean didn’t tell them he had come back from the dead more than once. (Actually he hadn’t, but she gets confused.)

Inertia: “If we'd known he could come back from the dead, it would have changed our tactics.”

Built To Last: “Maybe he can only come back from the dead twice?”

Inertia: “That’s a stupid power. It should be, like, three times.”

Inertia had said something which Built To Last had assumed was OOC:

Inertia: “What made you think that was out of character?”

Built To Last: “You're talking to people who aren’t there. I assume you’re either having an intensely personal experience, or you’re out of character.”

Info dump from the GM:

GM: “There have been a number of Scarecrow sightings over the past six months.”

Inertia: “And how do those compare to Elvis sightings during the same period?”

Lastly, no context could help this one:

Built To Last: “I thought the metal thong was a good idea.”

Enigma: “You’re off costume design!”

IAlso' date=' in a DnD game, the same GM describe a Drow lair as being lit by Braziers, which he pronounced Brah-Zeers. Heckling again ensued.[/quote']

Last time this happened in a game my wife and I were both in, she remarked that "If they're setting my bra on fire, I'm going home."

A long time ago, when Legacies was only four years old, the PC's of a group called The Sentinels were making a plan to assault the stronghold of an evil organization.

The only thing that is important to understand is that Quickshot, the team archer, has NO flight power.

Aikido, the team leader: All right. Now, Wind Walker will fly in from this angle, and I'll take the other one. Flying Tiger, you stay back and use your mental powers. Now, when we reach this point, Quickshot drops from the sky...

Quickshot: HOLD ON A MINUTE! I CAN'T FLY!

Aikido: You can't?

Quickshot: NO! I HAVE NOT, NOR HAVE I EVER, BEEN ABLE TO FLY! WE HAVE BEEN DOING THIS TOGETHER FOR TWO YEARS!!!!

Aikido: No...you can't be serious! I ALWAYS thought you could fly...

Quickshot: Look at me! I am an Archer! I have Mr. Bow. I have arrows! I CANNOT FLY!