What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Sin City 2. I liked most of it, having read the comics. Even the newly done Joseph Gordon Levitt part. Did not like the newly done Nancy taking revenge on Roarke. I won't explain because it would do spoilers, but it has less to do with the acting and writing and more to do with the character of Nancy and what she meant in the stories. Ava Green does a lot of nude, but has the body for it.

On Youtube blitzing through some films like Quatermass 2 (which is very good), Undefeatable with its amazing finish (martial arts 80s film), Death Wish 5, Death Wish 3, Farewell Friend (French film with Charles Bronson), Mankillers (80s film. Hard to describe), Extreme Justice, Demon Island (beware of the killer Pinata), Death race 2000 (which is fun), Deathsport, Million Dollar Crocodile, Swamp Sharks, Shark Attack 3 Megaladon, Piranha (1995) and Avalanche Sharks.

So just similar to TNG's The Inner Life. Ie done before .

"The Inner Light". Named for a Beatles song, and the first TV episode in 25 years to win a Hugo for Best Dramatic Presentation. Soon afterwards the category was split into Long Form and Short Form acknowledgement that Science Fiction/Fantasy on TV was both more common and more respectable.

I was at the Worldcon where it was awarded, but not at the Hugo banquet.

"The Inner Light". Named for a Beatles song, and the first TV episode in 25 years to win a Hugo for Best Dramatic Presentation. Soon afterwards the category was split into Long Form and Short Form acknowledgement that Science Fiction/Fantasy on TV was both more common and more respectable.

I was at the Worldcon where it was awarded, but not at the Hugo banquet.

Good to know, cheers. 

Watched Guardians of The Galaxy. It was a hoot. Rocket and Groot stole the movie.

Groot shoves his fingers up some guy's nose in a space prison after he threatens Peter Quill.

"This guy is with us. To get to him, you're going to have to go through us, or more accurately, we're going to go through you."

Everyone backs away from the talking raccoon and tree.

CES 

The first Doctor Who episode of the new season, "Deep Breath". Peter Capaldi's first outing as the Doctor has him struggling with regenerative trauma in Victorian England. Luckily he has old friends to help him -- a Siluran refugee/consulting detective, her maid/wife with mad combat skills, and their Sontaran butler (he's gotten used to the idea, apparently). But first he has to recover enough of his sanity to not scare poor Clara completely out of her mind, or -- worse, drive her away for good.

They remind me of the Sixth Doctor and Peri in some ways (only with better fashion sense). Colin Baker's Doctor was difficult and mercurial, and poor Peri had to take care of him because without her he'd be completely lost. How she managed not to get fed up enough to demand a one-way trip home and leave him to his fate is a mystery -- maybe she felt responsible for his condition, or just wasn't the sort to abandon a friend in distress no matter how annoying or even repulsive his behavior. Once when asked if the Doctor was sane, Peri answered "sometimes" -- implying there were other times when she though he was a total nutter.

The first Doctor Who episode of the new season, "Deep Breath". Peter Capaldi's first outing as the Doctor has him struggling with regenerative trauma in Victorian England. Luckily he has old friends to help him -- a Siluran refugee/consulting detective, her maid/wife with mad combat skills, and their Sontaran butler (he's gotten used to the idea, apparently). But first he has to recover enough of his sanity to not scare poor Clara completely out of her mind, or -- worse, drive her away for good.

They remind me of the Sixth Doctor and Peri in some ways (only with better fashion sense). Colin Baker's Doctor was difficult and mercurial, and poor Peri had to take care of him because without her he'd be completely lost. How she managed not to get fed up enough to demand a one-way trip home and leave him to his fate is a mystery -- maybe she felt responsible for his condition, or just wasn't the sort to abandon a friend in distress no matter how annoying or even repulsive his behavior. Once when asked if the Doctor was sane, Peri answered "sometimes" -- implying there were other times when she though he was a total nutter.

Just finished the second season with Matt Smith a few months ago. Haven't gotten around the next one yet.

Watched The Expendables 3. It's a serial escalation until the last half hour ( I don't know how long the final part lasted) which is huge battle between Ross's mercenaries and a small country's military.

Antonio Banderas stands out as a man who has lost his team wanting to get in with another so badly he is sending the broker fake resumes four times a month. Then he is trying to romance the only woman on the team during the rescue.

CES 

Watched The Expendables 3. It's a serial escalation until the last half hour ( I don't know how long the final part lasted) which is huge battle between Ross's mercenaries and a small country's military.

Antonio Banderas stands out as a man who has lost his team wanting to get in with another so badly he is sending the broker fake resumes four times a month. Then he is trying to romance the only woman on the team during the rescue.

CES 

I kept wondering if the 2 members of his team he lost were the names of the 2 guys from Desperado with the guitars.

I've been working my way through "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", and I was doing fine until I hit the episode, "The Body".

Given the losses in my life lately, it struck just a bit close to home. It's also one of the best episodes of television that I've seen.

Lost my mother to a brain tumor.  I can't handle that episode.  All the stuff with Joyce that season is brutal.

The epic car chase from the original version of Gone in 60 seconds from 1974 which lasts over half an hour and shows cars getting wrecked (and staying that way throughout the chase). It is on Youtube. This is the film that shows 93 cars getting wrecked. One of the good things in this is that you then see people being helped out of wrecked cars and having medical treatment.

The new TV show Legends with Sean Bean as an undercover FBI agent who slips into his "legends" (undercover IDs) very easily and thoroughly. Really showcases Sean Bean's talent at different roles.

Finished season 2 of Defiance. A solid show with some good and less moments. Enough to keep me hooked.

Not going to watch much else until the fall season kicks off with Gotham, Constantine, Arrow and Flash at the top of my "time wasters" list.

• 2 weeks later...

The Getaway by Peckinpah.

Also from National Theatre Live the theatre production of 'A StreetcarNamed Desire' shown in the cinemas. The audience are still in the theatre but so are cameras for the cinema. The play is performed in the round. Gillian Anderson played Blanche DuBois, Vanessa Kirby played Stella Kowalski, Ben Foster played Stanley Kowalski and Corey Johnson played Mitch. It was cheaper seeing it in the cinema but you had a great view of proceedings. There is some real misogyny and violence against women by men in the play. Because of what Stanley does particularly to his own wife it is impossible to feel any sympathy to him. The rape is downplayed as opposed to the other violence in the play, it takes place but Blanche has exhausted herself mentally so cannot fight back. Watching Gillian disintegrate mentally on stage is astonishing and then to see her return to normal for the curtain call shows how talented she is. There will be anther showing in October worldwide if people are interested.

Corey Johnson may be familiar to people as Henry Van Stratten in the Dr Who episode Dalek, or from the Mummy where he is one of the Mummy's American victims, or from two of the Bourne movies (Utimatum and Legacy)

Derek Jeter, shortstop and captain of the New York Yankees, is retiring after this season. The season is in its final few weeks, and the Yankees are in the process of the last home stand (they are pretty much out of contention for the Wild Card, and Baltimore has already clinched the division). He spent his entire major league career as a Yankee, which is astounding given that he's been playing so long.

This video is part Gatorade ad and part tribute to what he's meant to New York (to a song by the quintessential New York singer, Frank Sinatra).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfgS1lvqX8I

Star Wars Episode I followed by Star Wars Episode IV. Haven't watched either in several years.

Episode I just drags along, and I found myself checking the time in several places. The plot's overly convoluted, the characters unsympathetic. It's a movie in great need of an editor.

Episode IV, on the other hand, flew by. There aren't really any dead spots, and the action is good. Humor doesn't seem to be forced (like in Episode I), and I found myself just sitting back and enjoying the show.