ONE power: what do you do with it?

Zeropoint

Inspired by the thread in Hero System Discussion "Build Your Super Self" and my reaction to it:

If you were a normal person in the normal world (your actual self, even!), but discovered one day that you had a SINGLE superpower, what would/could you do with it?

I'm thinking for the purposes of this discussion that I'm talking about a single entry from the Powers section, with no frameworks. This means that "weather control powers" ala Storm would be out, although a Change Environment: Weather would be acceptable. Let's also keep things within 80 active points.

Variable power pools are right out.

For starters, I was thinking about Flight.

You could be a photographer/cameraman, getting aerial footage for the news, or doing aerial photography for other purposes with a lot more flexibility and less overhead than someone who needed an aircraft. You might also be valuable to search and rescue teams.

Advertising is a possibility.

Hmm. It's a bit late and that's all that comes to mind at the moment.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: ONE power: what do you do with it?

I gotta agree with Teflon Billy. Total Life Support, definitely. :)

With no predestined time clock on your life, and no need to sleep, you'd have the time to learn anything and everything your brain could hold. With no need to eat and immunity to exposure (and again, no need to sleep), you don't really need much of anything in the way of money. Pocket money could easily be obtained through bar bets via your immunity to alcohol, and greater sums could doubtless be made with ingenious application of your other abilities.

Heck, if nothing else, your immunity to disease would allow you to work without risk in certain less-than-reputable areas of entertainment, if you get my drift... :eg:

One power, eh? Here's some thoughts. Not necessarily in order:

1) Extra-dimensional travel, to anywhere and anywhen. With infninite worlds available, I find the right one, and then I can acquire other abilities, like Immortality. Then the possibilities for exploration and adventure are limitelss. Of course, I'd need to have the ability to take others with me, or it will get mighty lonely.

2) Total Life Support. Who wouldn't want to be ageless and immune to poisons and diseases?

3) Regeneration, including Resurrection. Okay, I can be hurt, but I'll get better.

4) Shape Shift. This would be fun. I could go to the best parties. Or I could acquire money. Or learn secrets. Seduce beautiful women maybe?

5) Summon. Have friends anytime I want them.

6) Armor. With 80 Active Points of this Power, I'd be damned hard to hurt with any conventional weapons. I could be a hostage negotiator or something.

7) Telepathy. Yeah, Menton-class Telepathy might be interesting.

Admittedly, when this idea came up in another thread, I immediately said "Flight -- because it's so damn cool." However, after watching a few episodes of Heroes you can sign me up for Hiro's power. Worldwide teleportation is pretty cool, too. :)

Matt "Passport?-I-don't-need-no-stinkin'-passport!" Frisbee

Yeah' date=' I gotta admit... with 80 Active Points of INT, you could pretty much invent things to give you Total Life Support, Flight, Invulnerability, etc.... :)[/quote']

And have a 25- Perception... as well as being light years ahead in anything you put your mind to and study - Knowledge skills, Area Knowledges, Sciences...

Although having 25- PRE based skills would be like having a variety of mental powers as well.

And have a 25- Perception... as well as being light years ahead in anything you put your mind to and study - Knowledge skills, Area Knowledges, Sciences...

Although having 25- PRE based skills would be like having a variety of mental powers as well.

Actually a 27-. You start with 10 pts of INT for free.

It's a toss up between...

Full Life Support

Or

17" Teleportation (Safe Blind Teleport,+1/4, Variable Advantage,+1) 76.5 active pts. I'd just keep 0 END Cost on when I didn't need another Advantage. Just being able to use teleport at both personal scale and megascale makes Var Adv worth it. Usable On Others is also handy.

Grimble

Ectoplasmic Projection: Summon Any Creature, Loyal, though it might break the spirit of the one power only rule. Still, the power to call up spirits and supernatural creatures who can use powers for you is as good as having those powers yourself.

If there are no beings with powers I can summon, then Extradimensional Movement, any time, any place, any world, safe blind movement. I can make a fortune or three, find beings with powers willing to make a few deals, hang out in fairly amazing times and places, it would be a blast.

No other worlds? Then we're back to good old Full Life Support; I'll hang around until my own violent death, and have a pretty good time in the meantime.

Multiform with 16 or more forms, each with a different power, might also be fun, but again that probably violates the spirit of the One Power Only rule.

It's a toss up between...

Full Life Support

Or

17" Teleportation (Safe Blind Teleport,+1/4, Variable Advantage,+1) 76.5 active pts. I'd just keep 0 END Cost on when I didn't need another Advantage. Just being able to use teleport at both personal scale and megascale makes Var Adv worth it. Usable On Others is also handy.

Grimble

Hmm, yeah, but how useful is megascale teleport without floating or fixed locations? Can we expect character points from experience? Will "the GM" allow a lock-on from a television image in realtime? I'd reduce the level a bit and throw in at least a couple floating locations - and a x2 mass. That way I could use it for legal stuff... if that's how I should decide to use it.

If there are no beings with powers I can summon' date=' then Extradimensional Movement, any time, any place, any world, safe blind movement. I can make a fortune or three, find beings with powers willing to make a few deals, hang out in fairly amazing times and places, it would be a blast.[/quote']

Sounds like Corwin of Amber. Having the power to travel to infinite worlds and experience infinite possibilities would be pretty cool, though you'd have to be careful about making infinite enemies....

Hmmm...

Desolidification, 0 END, Usable by self and one other. I could go anywhere and take anything I can carry or rescue anyone from almost any prison or danger.

Or maybe Clairsentience, Sight and Hearing (1,800"), Precognitive, 1/2 END. With the ability to reliably see the future, I'd soon have that 10-15 points of Wealth, could prevent crimes, avert or minimize the impact of many disasters... the possibilities are huge.

The first thing that comes to mind is gobs of Duplication, with 5-point characters. You can do a lot of things at once.

The second thing that comes to mind is Drain vs. Int, megascale, personal immunity. With the rest of the world reduced to drooling morons, I would RULE THE WORLD! MUHAHAHAHA!

Telepathy

1. Hunt down every Bomb using Terrorist on the planet and Reeducat them.

2. Learn enough secrets to blackmail the powers that be into doing the Jobs they were hired for.

3. Reeducating Criminals into productive members of society.

4. Justice, Not Law for everyone.

5. Environmental Action/ Not Reaction.

Cheers

QM