FH Sightings yet?

Blue

Guest MadKestrel

On the Shelves in VA

We picked ours up at the LGS last night, after calling them every day since last Thursday. (We live in easternmost VA.)

I'm a dedicated FH fan, and I've been waiting for this product since 5th Edition was released. I've had trouble understanding why HERO waited so long to release their product for the 'most popular genre in gaming' (from the first sentence of the FH introduction). I'd hoped the product was worth the wait.

I've only had time to browse it a bit (less than 10 minutes) -- but is it just me or isn't it REALLY expensive to become a Gnome? I'm kind of shocked that an error of this magnitude wasn't caught in editing. Hopefully, the rest of the book won't have such glaring errors.

As an avid fan who has waited way too long for this product, my first look, with the possible exception of the lifting and the dent in my wallet ($32 + tax), has me less than impressed.

Please don't suggest a write in campaign for artwork awards for this volume either. (I found such a suggestion for Star Hero laughable.)

MadKestrel

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: On the Shelves in VA

Originally posted by MadKestrel

I've only had time to browse it a bit (less than 10 minutes) -- but is it just me or isn't it REALLY expensive to become a Gnome? I'm kind of shocked that an error of this magnitude wasn't caught in editing. Hopefully, the rest of the book won't have such glaring errors.

The cost was 11 in the playtest file; what is it in the book? (Mine's at home.)

Please don't suggest a write in campaign for artwork awards for this volume either. (I found such a suggestion for Star Hero laughable.)

MadKestrel

Two things, Mad.

1) Hero is fairly flexible. If you find another way to play a Gnome cheaper, Steve Long ain't gonna come to your house and take away your book . My suggestion is not to worry about racial packages, but just build the character stats, skills and powers that makes sense. But I haven't seen the Gnome pckge yet, so I'm a bit un-informed.

2) I tried to do the best artwork that I'm capable of. I'm saddened that you don't think it is up to snuff and vow to try even harder for the next product.

heh thanks for the welcome Mike.

Been hanging around for a long time, just not recently (work work work)

thought at first the boards had been reskinned but couldent log in with my old ID :(

heh o well

Ill try to post again before they update the board software again :P

Chris

Price of a Gnome

Originally posted by Storn

Two things, Mad.

1) Hero is fairly flexible. If you find another way to play a Gnome cheaper, Steve Long ain't gonna come to your house and take away your book . My suggestion is not to worry about racial packages, but just build the character stats, skills and powers that makes sense. But I haven't seen the Gnome pckge yet, so I'm a bit un-informed.

The cost of the Gnome is about 140 points.

Should have been caught before it went to the printer.

A.

Since it wasn't in the playtest, my guess is that it was a last minute gremlin of some sort. In general, Steve & Co. are amazingly good about catching these things (especially compared to the nightmare that was 4th Edition proofreading). If FH is rife with this kind of error I'd be surprised.

Re: Wow

Originally posted by tgaptte

This thing is a BEAST!

You are not kidding! Mine came in today, and I am not sure my shelf will be able to hold it! I think Fantasy Hero is the largest game book I have ever bought.

At 3 pages a day I will have the whole thing read by Christmas. :)

We picked ours up at the LGS last night, after calling them every day since last Thursday. (We live in easternmost VA.)

I'm a dedicated FH fan, and I've been waiting for this product since 5th Edition was released. I've had trouble understanding why HERO waited so long to release their product for the 'most popular genre in gaming' (from the first sentence of the FH introduction). I'd hoped the product was worth the wait.

As an avid fan who has waited way too long for this product, my first look, with the possible exception of the lifting and the dent in my wallet ($32 + tax), has me less than impressed.

MadKestrel

First, I hope you read it and then come back and give us your opinion. I have the feeling after you read it you will think better of the book.

Second, I think HERO choose to do their releases in the correct order. HERO will alway be Champions (I don't like it, but it is a fact) and they wanted to wait and make sure they got Fantasy Hero right. Being as the book said the most popular you had better get it right the first time.

Third, I cannot possibly believe anyone would complain about the cost of Fantasy Hero. Yes, it is expensive, but what other gaming company is selling books of this size for less than $60.00. I just bought the new Babylon 5 RPG for $45.00. Yes it is hardback and yes it is in color, but far far fewer information which is why I buy RPG's.

For content and durabiltiy HERO books are among the best priced items in the industry.

I've had trouble understanding why HERO waited so long to release their product for the 'most popular genre in gaming' (from the first sentence of the FH introduction).

Because Champions needed to come first, given their origins. Star Hero came second because an opening to become a major player in the sci-fi game niche was perceived, and because there wouldn't have been time for Steve to write Fantasy Hero in time for a GenCon release anyway. Ninja Hero was released third because Steve didn't have to write it.

This was the earliest they could have done it and still given it GenCon release hype. ;)

You mean like SPD having a base value of 10? ;)

It's just a typo. It's unfortunate, but they happen. I hope you're not too quick to become disappointed with the book because of a single typo.

As far as I know, the only such suggestion was for Star Hero's cover. If you don't like certain artwork, that's fine. But that doesn't mean others can't like it, or even find it award-worthy.

Incredible sales in San Diego. First day it arrived I called my usual FLGS in the morning, by the time I left for lunch they were sold out already.

I was fairly bummed, but took a chance on a small comic book store on Mira Mesa that stocks a smaller variety and quantity than my main store. I found three copies there and quickly snagged all three for myself and two friends that I work/game with.

I don't beleive there is now a single copy for sale in SD. Everyone I asked is ordering more. Great job Steve (Again!)

Ulryk

Originally posted by PhosphorRose

Game Chest in Dallas has it. Not sure when it came in, I just grabbed, paid, and ran off to read it. :P

Thanks for the tip. My local comic shop (which is often my not-so-friendly gaming store) did not have FH today, but Game Chest in Dallas did. I called. They held it. I borrowed my friend's pickup so I could carry the tome home, and now I have it. It looks great so far!

QUOTE]

I have to agree with Storn on his response to this. We all did the best we could and (In my humble opinion) The artwork from all involved is as good, if not better, than most of the B&W interior work I've seen.

I'm sorry you didn't like it.

~e.:cool:

Guest MadKestrel

Re: Re: On the Shelves in VA

Originally posted by Herolover

First, I hope you read it and then come back and give us your opinion. I have the feeling after you read it you will think better of the book.

Second, I think HERO choose to do their releases in the correct order. HERO will alway be Champions (I don't like it, but it is a fact) and they wanted to wait and make sure they got Fantasy Hero right. Being as the book said the most popular you had better get it right the first time.

Third, I cannot possibly believe anyone would complain about the cost of Fantasy Hero. Yes, it is expensive, but what other gaming company is selling books of this size for less than $60.00. I just bought the new Babylon 5 RPG for $45.00. Yes it is hardback and yes it is in color, but far far fewer information which is why I buy RPG's.

For content and durabiltiy HERO books are among the best priced items in the industry.

I want to clarify my post.

First off, I agree that Champions should come first. I have to do, I'm married to a Champions fanatic, and that is how I first got introduced to the system.

But, by Steve's admission, fantasy is the most popular genre and I do think FH should have been the second product released. Yes, I know Star Hero was chosen (SF being a far less popular RPG genre, I'd have put that on the back burner), and so was Ninja Hero... But here is what happened at our house:

The week Fred came out, we had six high school sophmores hanging around our place who wanted to play an RPG, one of them being our own daughter. One of them was forbidden by his parents to play D&D, so they were floundering around. My husband offered to run Chamions for them, but we didn't have Fred in hand yet and went with Big Blue. We played Champions with four of them -- one wanted to stick with D&D only, another couldn't manage our play schedule. The kids floundered quite a bit. They seemed to enjoy the sessions, but had a hard time understanding the mechanics because they spent too much time goofing off and rarely had to really use them. It was very clear that they wanted to do Fantasy. But Big Blue was unavailable (except for a prohibitive amount on eBay) and FH was an online product -- none of them had a credit card (couldn't have used it anyway, without Big Blue). Fred has a pretty high price tag (I'm not complaining because I think it is worth the price,) and at that time no fantasy product available. That was a year and a half ago.

Fast forward to now: No one is playing Champions in that group (they might if my husband ran it for them, but our daughter doesn't like supers at all, she's just for fantasy). But three of the members of that group already own 3E and those forbidden from D&D aren't playing at all.

The long and short of this is that 18 months passed and because another company had a product on the shelves they made the sales. Talking these kids to coming back to HERO after FH Grimoire is out will be 'nigh impossible'.

If they should even think about it, look at what they will be making thier decisions on:

Cost of FH: $40 (Fred) + 32 (FH) + Grimoire (estimate $25)=$97

Cost of D&D: $75 for all three core rules books. (maybe $60 now that 3.5 is in it's push.)

The second product is not only available currently, it's cheaper and you can get a software generator for free on the net. They still have to wait for Grimoire with HERO and have to add another $30 or so for HERO Designer.

Let's add the popularity of D&D, which is an issue if you are looking for players.

The point of this is: I'm not saying D&D is a better system. I think HERO is and always will be the best RPG system ever. (And we have spent the last fifteen years buying re-releases of the product again and again. We even tried to do a fan-based 'free' product for HERO at one point, but got so disgusted dealing with Bruce Harlick that we gave up.)

But I look at the 3e product and the artwork is awesome. It makes me want to play the game -- and I hate D&D.

The bottom line of this message is: HERO has the BEST RPG on the planet. But they really need some serious bean counters to look at not only what is on the shelf to compete with, but what will be on the shelf when the HERO product finally hits the shelves, and, if HERO carries a higher price tag, it darn well better be obvious to the casual browser why it does.

Don't misunderstand -- I'm saying all of this because I want 5th Ed, Champions and FH to be the most played games out there. But in order to do that, I think they need something more than the biggest and most expensive book on the shelf. (While the size helps... with SO MUCH stuff out there, I really think it is going to take more than that.)

Artwork -- I didn't intend to be insulting. The artwork is not BAD. But it does not grab my attention like some other products (except for the FH logo). The cover for FH looks to me to be in the style of a four color comic. I do think the more muted style and the detail of the last release of FH would have been more appropriate to the genre.

Ther are other things I would have made issue of if I were in the HERO marketing department, but I'm not, so they are not terribly important now.

MadKestrel

P.S. Cost of Gnome pkg = 130 points. Same as Giant. Cost of Halfling=8 points. Yep, it's a typo, but since it's in the grey box and the first thing you see when you browse the 'typical' fantasy races, it's pretty noticeable.

Did They Fly it Over on Concorde?

Got my copy of FH through the post from Wayland's Forge in Birmingham on the 31st (last Thursday) so it must have been at the UK distributor no later than the 29th. It's going to take me far longer to read and digest this weighty tome than it took to get from the US printers to my sweaty palms here in the UK.

Very impressed so far though. I'm looking forward to reading the "How to run a campaign" bit. IMO, this section in the 2nd edition FH was the best of its kind I'd read in any RPG product ever and I'm hoping for more of the same here!