Favorite Champions Villain(s)

Dominique

I've long been fond of Firewing, although I preferred the version from Classic Enemies, with his near-tragic background and internal conflict between honor and glory, to the more ruthless villain from CKC. I also enjoy Dark Seraph: he just looks so impressive, and you can stomp on this vile monster without a twinge of guilt.

And of course, you can't not have fun when Foxbat shows up. :D

For some reason I've never liked Dr. D. Not sure why though. Foxbat, on the other hand, is great for getting on players nerves, ecspecially if you have a player that tends to fly off the handle when his character is "picked on":D .

Yeah, I know it's mean but this guy was a constant pain in th butt when he played so I went out of my way to make things difficult for his character. If he planned a picnic, it would rain; his NPC dependents were constantly being kidnapped, mugged, fired from their jobs. (damn the bad luck...he he he).

A few more old stand bys, like Howler, Pulsar, and Lady Blue showed up a lot. The rest of my villains were usually my creation.

Almost forgot about PSI, and the VOICE. I really never got into Viper, Demon, or Genocide.

I still need to pick up CKC, and compair them with my old copy of Classic Enemies.

I have very mixed feelings about most of the Uber-Villains (esp. Takofanes and Doctor Destroyer) from CKC.

Takofanes has a fantastic background, but is absurdly overpowered, to the point where achieving his goal of wiping out all life on Earth should come down to waking up one morning and declaring "Doh! 1d6RKA Penetrating Continuous Uncontrolled Megascale O-End Transdimensional! There, that's done. Time for a nice cup of tea." He's great for the threat "out there", but almost un-useable in play.

Destroyer is similarly ovepowered, and his goal of taking over the world in the least practical manner possible is just silly. "Political manipulation? Building up support among the people followed by a series of millitary victories and coups until I hold power? No, better to pose, posture, randomly blow up a city, hide for a decade and then declare that it was all part of my Master Plan." He'd be a fun Doctor Doom knock off if he were powered down to the point where a hero group could reasonably chase him off, but as written he's only useable as a background character or as part of an NPC dominated campaign ender.

I'm a big fan of Demon. A few tweaks to make them an Aum Divine Truth Mystic-Religious cult and they can be truly scary without being unplayable. I usually incorporated almost all the magic-oriented villain groups into Demon.

Invictus was a great NPC, especially if you played up his political folk hero aspect before the PCs realized just how corrupt he was.

I liked most of the villain teams, tweaked appropriately, especially PSI. The newest version of PSI is quite good.

This Will Probably Get Me Banned, But...

A slightly customized Roadkill:

Heavy Metal- a-hole lead singer

Screech- nebbish keyboardist

Axeman- psycho killer guitarist

Ted- zombie drummer

Boomer- redeemable bassist

Screech- redeemable girlfriend

A fun group to GM because though they all lived for the ego gratification of the stage, they all had different motivations for being there and to some degree all of them had secret agendas. Running a group of supervillains not bent on world domination but on, among other things, destroying boy bands for aesthetic reasons, is more fun than should be allowed this side of paradise. They were such a great foil to my PCs. I know some of you might think this is a corny concept but there is a verisimilitude that their rather mundane goals have that grand evil archvillain's bombastic super-schemes lack.

As I write this I am thinking about bringing these guys into 5th Ed and ... {evil laughter} Simon Cowell.

Re: This Will Probably Get Me Banned, But...

Originally posted by Tempuswolf

A fun group to GM because though they all lived for the ego gratification of the stage, they all had different motivations for being there and to some degree all of them had secret agendas. Running a group of supervillains not bent on world domination but on, among other things, destroying boy bands for aesthetic reasons, is more fun than should be allowed this side of paradise. They were such a great foil to my PCs. I know some of you might think this is a corny concept but there is a verisimilitude that their rather mundane goals have that grand evil archvillain's bombastic super-schemes lack.

Oh, I'm with you on that. I just picked up a second-hand copy of that module, and I'm really looking forward to running the adventure. Boomer and Screech seem a little too pop for a band that's otherwise very punk/industrial, but all in all this is an innovative group.

As I write this I am thinking about bringing these guys into 5th Ed ...

Cool. I, for one, would love to hear about your conversions.

Favorite villain(s)

Originally posted by megaplayboy

Black Enchantress from Coriolis Effect.

The 7 Horsemen--scary.

low-level Galactic Champions PC :D

The Coriolis Effect was a good module. The 7 Horsemen were fun to run against a heros whos egos had got a litle to big. especially one who were used to mopping the floor with villains NPC goon squads. Another thing I lked was that it looks like they actually did a little research on Norway's special forces units.

Needs to be updated to 5th but...

Deathstroke and The Conquerors.

The Conquerors have been enjoyed the most recurring roles in my games. They have gone through many personnel changes but have been the best villain team for roleplaying. First, I ditched all non-mutant members. Sorry Ankylosaur, but this team is the foil of enocide (or IHA, whichever you prefer).

After a couple of "stop the warehouse robbery" scenarios, the Conquerors came to demand a certain respect from my players. The PC's know these guys, some socially, but share different goals and beliefs which often put them on opposite sides of the hexmap. Like Professor X and Magneto (with no coincidence), the Conquerors and my past hero teams(s) coexist, often fighting together vs common enemies and prejudice. The Conquerors are stamped from the same archetype pool as the many Champions teams, representing a diverse and dangerous mix of powers and character conceptions.

The best villians I've had have been more because of character interaction with them, then the actual write ups...

Golden Avenger from the original primus and Demon. My world was the first wave of hypernormals and so I switched his hatred of mutants to hatred of hypernormals, and that was enough to sent him into villianhood. When primus was absorbed into the Marshall's office, he went rogue with a bunch of equipment, and about a third of the agency. He was a thorn in the side of the heroes for years, and ended up being the black kings knight in Genocide (which didn't show up till near the end of the game).

PSI - I introduced them for one reason, a supervillian team that the PCs could deal with on a permanent basis, because they were so nasty they could not be dealt with any other way. Thier stuff ran for 5 years, and when the final confrontation happened most of PSI were killed or lobotomized. The players told me that is was one of the best plots that they had played in.

I've always had a fondness for Foxbat, Muerte and Terror inc too.

Despite the fact that he is a simple black and white villain, I've always liked Dark Seraph. Most of my home villains are morally complex and I suspect that the overt evil of Dark Seraph always made for a refreshingly clear cut adventure.

Runners up would be Terror Inc. Dark Enchantress and Overlord from Strikeforce.

My favorite villains...

Tyrannon the Conqueror (please, PLEASE update him to 5th)

The Idiot King (not quite the Joker, but a great foil for super-detectives)

Ogre (we all need a dumb brick to pummel now and then)

Red Tide (from Atlantis; I love that sourcebook)

VIPER-Force 2 (they're just cooler than VF-1)

Glen

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by Glen Sprigg

Tyrannon the Conqueror (please, PLEASE update him to 5th)

Looks like they will, but you'll need a little patience: :)

The Mystic World: Lurking in the shadows of the Champions Universe is a mysterious world of magic, sorcery, and terrifying threats from beyond this plane of existence. The Mystic World takes you into this exotic realm, describing the nature of arcane powers in the Champions Universe and providing full write-ups for dozens of mystic places and villains — including the immensely powerful dimensional conqueror Tyrannon, the corrupt but magically powerful Vandaleur family, and evil African warlord Joseph Otanga.

Author: Dean Shomshak

Tentative Release Date: Mid 2004

Tentative Size: 208 pages