Quote of the Week From My Life.

Lucius

Re: Quote of the Week From My Life.

Regarding the London Olympic Mascots, Wenlock & Mandeville

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36026[/ATTACH]

Murakozi : While the cgi versions I saw yesterday looked like some kind of attempt at the worlds-most-uncomfortable-sex-toy, these costumed ones are just kind of scary. One looks angry and the other almost pleading. It's like an intergalactic good cop/bad cop team. "Bow down before your new masters!" and "Please! Just submit. I don't want to see him do horrible things to you!"

From one of my classes this past week (the last full week of classes in my district):

Student: Hey, is this the last test we have in here?

Me: Yes. That's why it's called a Final.

It's bad enough that the student in question is in one of my Honors classes, but it's even worse that one of his classmates asked me the exact same question not 30 seconds later.

Do we have a facepalm smily yet?

From one of my classes this past week (the last full week of classes in my district):

It's bad enough that the student in question is in one of my Honors classes, but it's even worse that one of his classmates asked me the exact same question not 30 seconds later.

Do we have a facepalm smily yet?

you should know that doesn't go away with age. I see a lot of it in my classes.

For a few points of extra credit on the aforementioned Final Exam, I gave students the opportunity to complete some chemistry-related puns. One of them was this one:

A potassium atom went into the doctor's office and said, "Hey Doc, I just lost my valence electron!"

The doctor asked, "Are you sure?"

The potassium atom said, "___ _______________!"

The answer, of course, is "I'm positive!" But two of my students came up with answers that were almost as bad...or maybe even worse.

Answer #1: "Ion-estly did!"

Answer #2: "I tried, but I couldn't keep my ion it!"

Needless to say, they both got the full credit. :)

So, I'm finally working again. After three days on the line, the production manager promoted me to 'inventory coordinator.' Inventory in this place is a disaster, but now it's MY disaster. Hooray!

So today I'm working on rebuilding the parts department from the ground up (literally) when he pulls me aside and says "Sorry to take you off this, but something's come up in another department and I need someone with a little common sense."

My reply: "No problem, I'll go find you someone."

Lucky for me, my new boss has a sense of humor!

• 2 weeks later...

Getting what I want - turned out to be extraordinarily difficult.

Keeping it once I've got it - near as I can tell, is flatly impossible.

Lucius Alexander

On the other hand, I can keep the palindromedary!

I don't propose to give this context.

Me: You were beautiful. Be not ashamed.

But I will say that while I addressed it to someone else, as soon as I said it I realized it could just as easily be said to me.

Lucius Alexander

No, I wasn't saying it to the palindromedary.

Me: That guy should be careful crawling around in caves over there. Lots of vermin around: scorpions, snakes, Osama bin Laden...

Sister: You are so not even subtle! I could see that a mile away. You need to work on your delivery.

About 20-or-so years ago, my mom (then in her mid-seventies) was driving me around town. We were driving down a road with a 40 MPH speed limit when a blue-haired old lady pulled out in front of us and proceeded to race along at, perhaps, fifteen miles per hour.

The traffic was thick and there were no opportunities to pass the elderly roadblock. I could see my mom fuming in the seat next to me. Finally she heaved an exasperated sigh and uttered "Oh, these old drivers!"

Watching Mythbusters last night -- the Moon Shot episode -- and someone on there said that up to 20% of Americans believe the lunar landing was faked.

Eric (my brother-in-law): 20 percent?! That's a huge number of people!

Me: How many people voted for George W. Bush for president?

Eric: 20 percent?! That's not that big of a number...