In other news...

tkdguy

I actually understand exactly where that guy is coming from. I went out on extended medical leave one year and the person who filled for me for 6 weeks was sanctioned to retain 75% of my duties when I came back. The terminology used made it sound like a 'promotion' for me on paper... very nice, legal, and tidy.  There was nothing wrong with the way I handled my duties (and the person who was 'reassigned' them has to come to me daily with questions even a year later)  - unofficially I know it was them finally finding a loophole to deal with my chronic illness and the time I miss due to it without being pulled in front of the labour board. 

It's not about the money. It's about the loss of self-worth that comes with knowing you're not working on anything meaningful, or career forwarding, or professionally fulfilling.  That you are a legacy worker - no just cause for dismissal, too useful when needed to downsize. It's about going to work every day and doing trivial things for a paycheck you yourself don't even believe you deserve sometimes but being unable to move forward because jobs are scarce, your skills are stagnating, and you have thousands of dollars of responsibilities to your spouse and children.

Guess I've been lucky - nobody has ever said anything (to my face) about my wife being black.  Nobody even bats an eye.

Sadly it's a different story when she's out alone with our kids, however, who through the wonder of genetics both ended up as pale as me.  Nobody who cares enough to stick their nose in someone else's business believes they're hers until they actually take a close enough look to see her eye shape, lips, and hair texture reflected in them.