In other news...

tkdguy

People also forget that Batman's parents were murdered. If he killed the Joker or any of the others of his Rogue's Gallery what difference would there be between him and the crooks ? Also if he killed The Joker why should he then not kill a persistent offender who is not a killer like say The Riddler ?

If he killed the Joker or any of the others of his Rogue's Gallery what difference would there be between him and the crooks ?

The difference would be that killing in self-defense, or in defense of an innocent third party, is generally recognized as ethically acceptable, and is perfectly legal.

The complicating factors, of course, are that 1) it has to be done while the would-be killer poses a clear and present danger to life or limb, and 2) it's ethically (and possibly legally) fuzzy to use lethal force to save a life IF you've got a non-lethal takedown that would work just as well, and Batman has a lot of ways to do that.

The difference would be that killing in self-defense, or in defense of an innocent third party, is generally recognized as ethically acceptable, and is perfectly legal.

The complicating factors, of course, are that 1) it has to be done while the would-be killer poses a clear and present danger to life or limb, and 2) it's ethically (and possibly legally) fuzzy to use lethal force to save a life IF you've got a non-lethal takedown that would work just as well, and Batman has a lot of ways to do that.

Yep, though it differs by juristriction, he could trick Joker into fighting him in Florida, and stand his ground? :winkgrin:

Yep, though it differs by juristriction, he could trick Joker into fighting him in Florida, and stand his ground? :winkgrin:

I had a mild argument with some of my young coworkers who are of the The Joker Is Awesome Club. My position is that almost anyone who saw the Joker approaching them would have grounds to feel that their life was in imminent threat of being ended. Therefore they could justifiably shoot the Joker in self-defense. But the writers don't think that would make a good story. Actually I think I might be a really good story as the news media and everyone else in Gotham had to discuss the fact that "the Joker was killed by a normal citizen, why have we let him terrorize us for so long?" I'll have the police not managed to shoot him? ( his fans argue to me that the Joker is a master at close combat and that's why he's managed to survive) the reactions of different people especially Batman, Commissioner Gordon and some of the other regular characters to the death of the Joker would be a fascinating story

The Church of Jesus Christ and Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) are withdrawing from the Boy Scouts -- more specifically the youth program for Ages 14-17.

Wards (the main congregations in the church) will no longer organize or host troops. Since about one-sixth of Scouts in the United States are Mormon, this is a very big deal on both sides.

The first argument you made was killing the mass murderer would make him no better than the mass murderer. Now you're saying he doesn't kill because he believes in the court system. These are completely different motivations. 

Not really. "I believe in due process because taking the law into my own hands makes me no better than the criminal." There ya go, one statement encapsulating both concepts. The argument is that it's better for society to let the group handle justice than to mete it out individually. That's a single motivation.

I had a mild argument with some of my young coworkers who are of the The Joker Is Awesome Club. My position is that almost anyone who saw the Joker approaching them would have grounds to feel that their life was in imminent threat of being ended. Therefore they could justifiably shoot the Joker in self-defense. But the writers don't think that would make a good story. Actually I think I might be a really good story as the news media and everyone else in Gotham had to discuss the fact that "the Joker was killed by a normal citizen, why have we let him terrorize us for so long?" I'll have the police not managed to shoot him? ( his fans argue to me that the Joker is a master at close combat and that's why he's managed to survive) the reactions of different people especially Batman, Commissioner Gordon and some of the other regular characters to the death of the Joker would be a fascinating story

The Joker Is Awesome Club?  Are they the same ones who think him and Harley have the "ideal" relationship?