In other news...

tkdguy

I have been overall avoiding news and politics recently. For almost a month, I've just shut it out. It can't last forever, I realize, but the last month has seen a dramatic uptick in my overall happiness. There are other reasons, to be sure, but not watching news is one of them. It got to the point where I felt that the world is spinning out of control. I still feel that, acutely, when I do tune in to some news source or another. When I am out in the real world, I don't feel that same sense of dread. I think there is a very strong correlation there.

I could go on about the media, but that is drifting too close to political topics, which have their own thread. Besides, I'd rather go out and get some fresh air before going to bed.

I have been overall avoiding news and politics recently. For almost a month, I've just shut it out. It can't last forever, I realize, but the last month has seen a dramatic uptick in my overall happiness. There are other reasons, to be sure, but not watching news is one of them. It got to the point where I felt that the world is spinning out of control. I still feel that, acutely, when I do tune in to some news source or another. When I am out in the real world, I don't feel that same sense of dread. I think there is a very strong correlation there.

I could go on about the media, but that is drifting too close to political topics, which have their own thread. Besides, I'd rather go out and get some fresh air before going to bed.

I have learned to shut it out. Nowadays, TV and internet news are just there to put ads in your face and, secondarily, scare you towards policies that work in favor of the corporate masters. I got very sensitive to that nonsense a long time ago, and stopped watching most TV news back in the 1980s. I really resent being manipulated, and when some medium is dominated by manipulation attempts, it gets excluded from my personal universe. That simple. And all news editors, and most media personalities, are strongly biased toward trying to grab a slice of your time and attention. If you were to swap "blood" for "time and attention", the truth that those people are parasites becomes obvious. I prefer not to encourage parasites.

There is absolutely no question that I am happier for my decision to close out media that calls itself "news".

You can be adequately informed on issues that really matter by doing a more calm perusal on a less frequent basis. That forestalls a "rush to judgment" impulse and gives you a better chance of getting complete information, which is what you really need in the first place. Weekly is about as much as I can stand. Monthly is more than adequate. Semiannually is OK except in election years, when the ballot deadlines force your hand some.

The only possible exception to this is stuff like storm warnings and so on; if the tornado or hurricane is bearing down on you, then yeah, earliest possible notification is what you want. But those situations are peculiar to your circumstances and may not be relevant. (There are no such storms where I live; volcanic explosions do happen locally but they give weeks to months of notice. Earthquakes happen here too, and they are catastrophic, but we do not yet have a useful pronosticator for those.) If the President (or some foreign head of state) is going to be in your town that day, you probably want to know that, because it will seriously mess up the traffic and add much time to your daily commute, which can cause trouble if you're late for an appointment or a date.

Because it is allied to my profession and aligns with my personal interests, I choose to get daily science news updates. I actually read somewhat less than half of those that pop up in my email. I would say roughly once a year there's something in those that ought to be bumped up the priority list towards "most people should read this".

About the only daily feed item I almost stay on top of is some sports scores. But that again is entertainment, not news.

So yeah: reclaim your attention, time, and inner peace by keeping the babble sources switched off. You will be much, much happier for it, pretty much independent of your political stance or personal philosophy preferences.

YEah, I've avoided it for about 3 months at this point for the most part, barring a story here and there

Earth faces it's greatest danger as an alien battlefleet consisting of Ewoks enters the solar system and begins planning the conquest of earth.

Not wishing to go in without a database on likely resistance the invasders have dispatched hundreds of their young to make stealth landings on earth, infinrate human society and gather intelligence on humanity's strengths and weaknesses.

The spies are almost impossible to detect given their fortuitous resemblance to terrestrial creatures that are routinely welcome in human society and homes.

So far only one spy has been identified. Information from the captured agent is scant as no one is willing to interrogate him.

post-60632-0-02188100-1507188365_thumb.jpg

Earth faces it's greatest danger as an alien battlefleet consisting of Ewoks enters the solar system and begins planning the conquest of earth.

Not wishing to go in without a database on likely resistance the invasders have dispatched hundreds of their young to make stealth landings on earth, infinrate human society and gather intelligence on humanity's strengths and weaknesses.

The spies are almost impossible to detect given their fortuitous resemblance to terrestrial creatures that are routinely welcome in human society and homes.

So far only one spy has been identified. Information from the captured agent is scant as no one is willing to interrogate him.