In other news...

tkdguy

On 5/25/2019 at 5:28 PM, Cygnia said:

About damn time! It's a shame they didn't get around to this while Lee was alive.

Unfortunately this is making me wonder about all those cameos. Although he seemed all right in those (and was really good as a voice cameo in Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse) I'm wondering how much of the money for them he actually received and got to use.

Auburn University athletics has lost their radio voice. Play-by-play man Rod Bramblett and his wife were killed in an auto accident over the weekend. Bramblett covered all three major men's sports -- football, men's basketball, and baseball -- and was there for such outstanding events as the Iron Bowl "kick six" (an unbelievable play when a missed field goal was caught in the end zone and run back for the game-winning touchdown) and the 2011 national championship win in football (over Oregon).

5 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

About damn time! It's a shame they didn't get around to this while Lee was alive.

Unfortunately this is making me wonder about all those cameos. Although he seemed all right in those (and was really good as a voice cameo in Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse) I'm wondering how much of the money for them he actually received and got to use.

I watched Kevin Smith talking about Stan's cameo in Captain Marvel, where he's on the train reading the script to Smith's movie Mallrats and rehearsing his lines for his appearance in that movie. While CM was in post-production Kevin Feige called Smith to ask if he had any recordings of takes of Stan saying his Mallrats lines. Feige told Smith that Stan's energy was declining, and his voice when they shot the scene sounded thin and tremulous, so Feige wanted to use recordings with more of Stan's trademark energy.

I was sure Stan wouldn't live long after his beloved wife Joan passed. I suspect she had a hand in protecting him from the vultures.

1 hour ago, RDU Neil said:

Superhero property damage.

Seriously, this kind of thing is why I always played supers as dangerous just by existing. If this kind of thing was as common place in the real world as it is in the comics... our infrastructure would be medieval after a few years at best.

When they do blow apart the boulder, why would I not be surprised if they found a squashed coyote underneath it?

3 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Superhero property damage.

Seriously, this kind of thing is why I always played supers as dangerous just by existing. If this kind of thing was as common place in the real world as it is in the comics... our infrastructure would be medieval after a few years at best.

How long would it take for a Thor or Iron Man to at least clear the landslide and boulders?

17 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Man, you can tell the New England fanbase dominate media coverage.  They will never let that go.

Also, no mention of a rather more significant sports figure passing: Bart Starr passes, age 85.  He was only the QB in the Vince Lombardi era, and won five NFL championships, including the first two Super Bowls.

6 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Superhero worlds also tend to include super-engineering, where structures as large as entire cities can spring up in a few months than in our world would take years, if not decades, to complete. Villains do it, heroes do it, civilian and military entities do it.

But yeah, if you don't have that level of engineering it's hard to sustain a livable world where there are hundreds of supers running around and fighting.

3 hours ago, Sociotard said:

It is something I think about every time Hulk rips a car in half to hit somebody with. That car probably only had liability. That car was the key to somebody holding on to their job, and they probably didn't have money for a new down-payment just sitting around.

And hopefully nobody was in the car. Hulk not know. Hulk not care. Hulk's world consists of things to be smashed and things to use to smash those things.

Hence the obsession throughout much of the comics of the military, federal agents, and just about everyone else trying to hunt down and contain the Hulk -- and the only reason they didn't seek to kill him is that nothing they had would do the job. Hence the dilemma of the fundamentally decent Bruce Banner trying at all costs to contain his inner beast before the mayhem grew to unthinkable proportions. (There's a line in the first Avengers about Banner being in such despair over his fate that he thought his only way out was to shoot himself. Hulk spit out the bullet, and it is not specified what he did to the gun.)

In the '70s TV series, Hulk was not as powerful (due to the limits of 1975 effects on a TV series budget), but Banner still feared the beast inside. In one episode, a scientist tried to reassure the fugitive researcher that the Hulk was an extension of Banner's own inner fury, and that since Banner would never knowingly kill a human being neither would the Hulk. I should also note that it was anger or outrage that triggered the transformation -- Banner went Hulk when his values and morality were deeply offended by injustice or cruelty. As a homeless fugitive, Banner saw a lot of injustice and cruelty...

There is a lot of meat to these questions, which should probably be addressed in another thread.

2 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

And hopefully nobody was in the car. Hulk not know. Hulk not care. Hulk's world consists of things to be smashed and things to use to smash those things.

Hence the obsession throughout much of the comics of the military, federal agents, and just about everyone else trying to hunt down and contain the Hulk -- and the only reason they didn't seek to kill him is that nothing they had would do the job. Hence the dilemma of the fundamentally decent Bruce Banner trying at all costs to contain his inner beast before the mayhem grew to unthinkable proportions. (There's a line in the first Avengers about Banner being in such despair over his fate that he thought his only way out was to shoot himself. Hulk spit out the bullet, and it is not specified what he did to the gun.)

In the '70s TV series, Hulk was not as powerful (due to the limits of 1975 effects on a TV series budget), but Banner still feared the beast inside. In one episode, a scientist tried to reassure the fugitive researcher that the Hulk was an extension of Banner's own inner fury, and that since Banner would never knowingly kill a human being neither would the Hulk. I should also note that it was anger or outrage that triggered the transformation -- Banner went Hulk when his values and morality were deeply offended by injustice or cruelty. As a homeless fugitive, Banner saw a lot of injustice and cruelty...

There is a lot of meat to these questions, which should probably be addressed in another thread.

The series would have been a lot shorter if he had just seen a mental health professional and stayed on his meds.

8 hours ago, Cancer said:

Man, you can tell the New England fanbase dominate media coverage.  They will never let that go.

Also, no mention of a rather more significant sports figure passing: Bart Starr passes, age 85.  He was only the QB in the Vince Lombardi era, and won five NFL championships, including the first two Super Bowls.

Bill Buckner was not always in New England, I knew him from when he played in Chicago, was always a big fan.

Horses at California's Santa Anita Racetrack are dying at an alarming rate -- 26 since the start of the season in December.

Santa Anita is the sport's most famous venue on the West Coast of the United States. The Santa Anita Derby is one of the best-known bellweather races before the Triple Crown run, and Santa Anita is set to host this year's Breeder's Cup program. But horse racing is controversial today, with some considering it cruel. When a human breaks a leg, they put their legs up for a few weeks then go into rehab. When the bones in a horse's legs break, it's "bye-bye horsie" -- they simply cannot survive that sort of injury, and unless the deed is done quickly it's a lingering and hideously painful demise.

There is also no doubt that the sport is declining in terms of attendance for normal race programs. Churchill Downs can still fill the stands for the Kentucky Derby, but most tracks in the United States have had to scramble to survive in these times with multiple options for anyone who wants to gamble away their hard-earned pay.