In other news...

tkdguy

When I went to visit my brother and his family for my niece's high school graduation, the subject of the reappearance of New Coke came up on account of its appearance in the TV series "Stranger Things" and I mentioned that Snopes had a really good article about the whole affair--so I thought I'd share that article with the rest of you.

New Coke At Snopes

12 hours ago, tkdguy said:

A New York judge has died after having a heart attack in the courtroom. RIP.

This judge was cited as running one of the best "drug courts" in the state, an institution that diverts low-level drug defenders into programs that help them avoid re-offending and get clean. Any conviction in the court is then expunged and taken off the defendant's record -- an important consideration when so many doors are slammed shut in the faces of ex-convicts.

55 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Finally.

Right now we're in one of those periods when the jackass who brays the loudest leads the herd. It's past time we start reigning them in.

It's thing like that "right now" comment that remind me you don't actually live here.  :lol:

I have to say, I have mixed feelings about this.  No; I'm not looking to discuss it.  At the moment, they are a bit too complicated to actually put into words anyway.   Let's just say that sometimes a justified victory can set some scary precedents for times down the road.

Back in 2008, there was a fire on the Universal Studios backlot. At the time, I remember that most news reports were concerned with the loss of the King Kong attraction, and how close we came to losing the Back to the Future town square. Now, it's coming to light that one of the destroyed structures, Building 6197 (also known as the video vault), held original audio recording master tapes for a variety of artists and labels dating back to the 1940s. 

There were recordings from dozens of record companies that had been absorbed by Universal over the years, including several of the most important labels of all time. The vault housed tape masters for Decca, the pop, jazz and classical powerhouse; it housed master tapes for the storied blues label Chess; it housed masters for Impulse, the groundbreaking jazz label. The vault held masters for the MCA, ABC, A&M, Geffen and Interscope labels. And it held masters for a host of smaller subsidiary labels. Nearly all of these masters — in some cases, the complete discographies of entire record labels — were wiped out in the fire.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/magazine/universal-fire-master-recordings.html

5 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

It's thing like that "right now" comment that remind me you don't actually live here.  :lol:

I have to say, I have mixed feelings about this.  No; I'm not looking to discuss it.  At the moment, they are a bit too complicated to actually put into words anyway.   Let's just say that sometimes a justified victory can set some scary precedents for times down the road.

I've lived long enough to see the tides ebb and flow, Duke. I stand by my "right now." Despite how it seems, this isn't the normative state of Western society.

I could understand your having reservations if this was a criminal case. But it was a civil lawsuit, against a clear prolonged campaign of provable slander and incitement to harassment. Freedom of speech grants protection from actions of the state against its citizens. That doesn't apply in this instance.

It's not that: people need to be responsible for what comes out of their mouths. 

I would have to have read the book to make judgment on the case sgainst the publisher.  What other fiction might now result in a suit? 

It's more than that, even:

A systematic, targeted assault is wrong, and we all agree on that.  Then we cheer because the "right people" are winning the systematic, targeted assault.. 

Bah-   like I said, it's complicated. 

15 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Libel has been against the law since 130 AD.  No precedents scary or otherwise were set by this case.  All that happened was that the courts enforced laws that have been part of American jurisprudence since the very founding of the republic.  They did not enforce the law in any new or novel way.  If anything at all is new here, it is the brazenness of disregard for truth by publishers that really should know better.

On 6/17/2019 at 8:40 AM, Michael Hopcroft said:

This judge was cited as running one of the best "drug courts" in the state, an institution that diverts low-level drug defenders into programs that help them avoid re-offending and get clean. Any conviction in the court is then expunged and taken off the defendant's record -- an important consideration when so many doors are slammed shut in the faces of ex-convicts.

Thanks for posting that, sad as the event is, it is still good to hear about good people!

13 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I would have to have read the book to make judgment on the case sgainst the publisher.  What other fiction might now result in a suit? 

To help simplify, the suit is not about a work of fiction, but a book making a concrete claim. This is a textbook libel case, as well as defamation. It isn't unusual in the least.