In other news...

tkdguy

https://projects.tampabay.com/projects/2020/investigations/police-pasco-sheriff-targeted/intelligence-led-policing/

Intelligence-led policing which is supposed to have the deliberate effect of the police harassing people until they move.

Their "intelligence" is such things as whether someone who works for the police has ever suspected you of a crime and whether you have a family member who was ever suspected of a crime.

This is a really frightening read.

2 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Given Harding's terrible reputation, association with his bloodline may be of limited desirability. Plus the line of descent comes out of wedlock, which is why other relatives are trying to dispute this claim.

Harding has been dead for 97 years. How much body is likely to be left to test?

Just now, Michael Hopcroft said:

Given Harding's terrible reputation, association with his bloodline may be of limited desirability. Plus the line of descent comes out of wedlock, which is why other relatives are trying to dispute this claim.

Harding has been dead for 97 years. How much body is likely to be left to test?

Per the article, Harding's relatives have already acknowledged that he is the grandson, and don't see a need to exhume the remains.

Also ... with top-quality lab and expertise, they can easily get what they'd want.  It'd be enough to work with, I am just about certain, considering the things I read about in the technical literature about recovering genetic information from fossils.  A couple of years ago they recovered enough chemical remnants from a sample of Ediacaran biota, only 600 MYr old, to remove a lot of doubts about where they fit in the tree of life.

9 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Also ... with top-quality lab and expertise, they can easily get what they'd want.  It'd be enough to work with, I am just about certain, considering the things I read about in the technical literature about recovering genetic information from fossils.  A couple of years ago they recovered enough chemical remnants from a sample of Ediacaran biota, only 600 MYr old, to remove a lot of doubts about where they fit in the tree of life.

It's all fun and games until COBRA uses dictator DNA to create Serpentor...

On 9/11/2020 at 9:53 PM, tkdguy said:

US Open Championships are this weekend.

Saturday, Sept. 12 Women's Singles Championships: Naomi Osaka vs. Victoria Azarenka

Sunday Sept. 13 Men's Singles Championships: Alexander Zverev vs. Dominic Thiem

Update: Naomi Osaka won in 3 sets; Dominic Thiem won his fist Grand Slam after a 5th set tiebreak.

27 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

Update: Naomi Osaka won in 3 sets; Dominic Thiem won his fist Grand Slam after a 5th set tiebreak.

She seems to have quietly gotten really, really good. I didn't get to watch the Open, but what did she do to win? What is her game like in comparison to the game of Serena Williams? Most importantly, if they went head-to-head what would that match look like?

4 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

She seems to have quietly gotten really, really good. I didn't get to watch the Open, but what did she do to win? What is her game like in comparison to the game of Serena Williams? Most importantly, if they went head-to-head what would that match look like?

Naomi Osaka went head-to-head against Serena Williams in the US Open Championship a few years back; that was when Serena had a meltdown after the chair umpire penalized her. That was Naomi Osaka's first Grand Slam title. She might have faced Serena again, but Azarenka defeated Serena Williams for a spot in the final.

Azarenka and Osaka were supposed to meet in the Western & Southern Open Final, but Osaka withdrew due to COVID-19 concerns.

7 hours ago, Cygnia said:

I'll admit to having mixed emotions about this one. It admirable that they're not allowing people who have done sexual or violent crimes into the program. but that by default means that the people that they're letting in have been found guilty of property crimes.

I've had problems over the years with people like contractors coming into my home and robbing me blind. I'll admit that's made me more than a little paranoid about strangers who come into my home. Now the government wants to let people who've actually been found guilty of property crimes come into my home when I'm not there to even attempt to keep an eye on them?

Frankly, I'd rather the government throw money at the problem and pay a sufficient wage to hire enough people than to allow ex-inmates be firefighters.