In other news...

tkdguy

48 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Your life is not your own.  You don't destroy that which isn't yours.

If your life is not your own, you are a slave.

Given that in this case, the "master" may or may not exist, it is appropriate to ask who does "own" you in practice.

You can come up with a "family and friends" answer - that is, people it is worth living for - but it is equally viable to come up with a "whoever rules society" answer, where the purpose of your life is to work on their behalf. The latter suggests that the theology has, if not an ulterior motive, then at least some interesting social implications.

(I agree that we should leave this discussion alone. I just couldn't help myself with this point.)

Berkeley will ban the sale of junk food from supermarket checkout displays.

Prohibits products with over 5 grams of added sugar or 250mg of sodium plus drinks which are high in sugar OR artificial sweeteners.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200925-california-city-bans-junk-food-from-checkout-aisles

I almost never make impulse purchases of candy cars or soft drinks at the supermarket. But when I do, it's because I'm having trouble with blood sugar which is way too low and I'm about to pass out.

Not that I live in Berkeley, but a rule like this several times would have ended up with me passed out on the supermarket floor trying to get back and forth from the candy aisle. And probably with no bystanders having any idea what was wrong with me.

Seattle put in a sugar tax on beverages a year or two back, which has had the effect of everyone who gets cola, lemon-lime soda, etc., as mixers drives across the city limits to get them (though the businesses within 10-15 blocks of the city limits have inflated their prices on these things to take advantage and you're still paying more than you ought).  I live a block inside the city limits.

Just now, Cancer said:

Seattle put in a sugar tax on beverages a year or two back, which has had the effect of everyone who gets cola, lemon-lime soda, etc., as mixers drives across the city limits to get them (though the businesses within 10-15 blocks of the city limits have inflated their prices on these things to take advantage and you're still paying more than you ought).  I live a block inside the city limits.

Yeah, and the thing that gets me is that the city will point to the decreased sales inside the city limits and try to claim that the residents are drinking much less cola.

I live within a 15 minute drive (non-rush hour) of ten different metropolitan city borders, each with their own taxes. If I wanted a thirty minute drive, I could probably at the least double that number. 

I'm perfectly willing to drive to avoid taxes.

20 minutes ago, Cancer said:

Well ... If it;s a choice between giving to opportunistic cash-grabbing businesses across the city limits, and giving to my own municipal taxes ... I'll stay home. 

Where I live, it's so easy to cross city borders that you don't see businesses near the boundaries jacking up their prices.

On the other hand, if you're buying a big ticket item like a car, a .25% or a .5% difference in tax can be significant when you're on a fixed income.

Since bargaining is part of the car buying ritual, I usually try to buy in my city but use the difference in sales tax as a bargaining chip to get the price down. Or to get the dealership to waive some of their ridiculous internal fees. (You can also use that "difference in sales tax" angle to sometimes to get free delivery on furniture and appliances rather than pay that fee.)

https://www.whichbook.net/ lets you search for books using up to four axes like Gentle/Violent, Funny/Serious, Conventional/Unusual, and (for Snyder fans) Optimistic/Bleak.  There are separate searches for character and plot as well.  What it doesn't have is searches by genre, so it might take some digging to find SF & Fantasy, but there's some of them in there.

3 hours ago, Bazza said:

Hungry Jack's returns serve in bun fight with McDonald's

https://www.smh.com.au/national/hungry-jack-s-returns-serve-in-bun-fight-with-mcdonald-s-20200925-p55zaf.html

(HJ’s is basically Burger King in Australia)

Not basically. A hole in the wall burger joint already owned the trademark for Burger King in Aus. If it wasn't for that...

Also, I thought the whole "Big Jack" thing was actionable as soon as I saw it. They weren't subtle.