In other news...

tkdguy

1 hour ago, csyphrett said:

Word has come down that Steve Bannon has gotten busted for wire fraud by the Post Office. I didn't know if I should put it here, or in the poli thread

CES

That would be so sweet. But probably more appropriate for the politics thread so we can have a more robust conversation about it.

3 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

That is perhaps the most disgusting thing I have read about in a four-year period full of appalling behavior. I'm not going to call it "sick" because of what that term implies about mental illness, because this is something different. It is evil almost in its purest, least distilled form. These people need to be found and locked up for the good of everyone, not just the parents and students of Columbine High School. They are a stain on all of us.

Unfortunately, we can't even be sure at this point that the perpetrators are home-grown evil idiots rather than alt-right sympathizers from Europe, Russian troll farms, or some other form of scum.

2 hours ago, Cygnia said:

"Official" orbital data in the JPL Small Body Database Browser

FWIW, the "Condition Code 7" means that's a really crappy orbit solution.  And the close approach according to that orbit is about 10% further away from us than the Moon is.

Finally, the H magnitude is given as 30.9.  For a plausible albedo (reflectivity of the surface), that means it's about 3.5 meters in size: kind of SUV-class.  Something like that won't make it through the atmosphere in the unlikely event it gets close enough to fall in on us.

This one isn't even worth munching popcorn for.

EDIT: But if you want, click the "Orbit diagram" link on that JPL page, change the settings so you are "looking at" Earth, set the date for Nov 2 of this year, change the animation step interval down to an hour, and then zoom way, way in, and it's probably better to step forward and backward in time rather than just hit "Play" ....

EDIT^2: I'll add this to my list of things I send my students to look up, though. :eg:

3 hours ago, archer said:

Godzilla has two barely functional forelimbs. If King Kong ever gets behind him, he'd twist Godzilla's head off. 

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

We may have watched different Godzilla movies.

Indeed. Legendary Studios' Godzilla is no T-Rex. Grappling is a big part of his fighting style. If he and Kong will be close to the same height in the upcoming movie, Kong will probably have the edge in upper-body strength and reach. But Godzilla's lower body is built like a mountain, his neck is thick, and he has biting jaws, claws, and a bludgeoning tail.

Based on the fight examples from their recent movies, I expect Godzilla will use his advantage in weight and leverage, and his natural weaponry; while Kong relies on superior speed and agility, and improvising weapons from his environment.