In other news...

tkdguy

Warning.

This is safe for work, but you will be APPALLED.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-georgia-youth-football-coach-appears-to-repeatedly-hit-child-97555525775

The team is kids 7 and under.

SEVEN!!!!!!!  

The parents didn't want to press charges;  I can respect that, from the perspective of protecting their kid.  The cops are still moving forward with charges.  Believe he also had a youth mentoring job through the sheriff's office;  that's gone.  This man has absolutely no place anywhere NEAR a kid.

Scuse me, I need my beer now.

3 hours ago, Cygnia said:

NO!!!!!

Crap!

Yeah-- this will mean nothing to any of you, but not only was he my all-time favorite singer, he was also the cousin of an old friend, and a damned nice guy.

Two bouts with throat cancer to go out like this....  :(

Funny story: decades ago, I had to run out to where Robert worked (work-related errand), and I had Charley Pride on the ol' 8-track, and Robert asked me "hey, Duke!  You gotta come to my family reunion!"

Not particularly wanting to schedule around it (I had a _lot_ going on; Robert was a great guy, and I probably would have agreed to stop by for a few minutes had my situation been different right then.   

Anyway, Robert asked "Ain't that Charley Pride on the radio?"

"Nah; that's on 8-track.  i've got everything he ever recoded; he's my favorite singer."

He laughed and laughed.  "Duke, you gotta come!  Charley Pride's my _cousin_, Man!"

"Yeah.  Right.  I gotta go, Robert; they're gonna miss me."

I left.  (No; that's not the funny part).

A few days later, I bump into Robert in town.  "Duke, Man, you gotta come to my reunion!"

"Oh yeah; right.  So I can meet your cousin, right?"

"Well, no; so you can sit and eat some ribs with us, shoot some hoops--"

"Not cool, Robert.  You know I'm white."

"And I need you to make me look good; my cousins are way better on the court, Man."

(say what you want:  we had that kind of relationship when we were young, okay?)

"Robert, I believe that you have a cousin, and I believe that his name is Charley Pride.  Can we let it drop now?"

"Duke, Man; I am _tellin'_ you, Charley Pride is my _cousin_!"

"Yeah.  Look, I wish I could, Robert."

"Aunt Della gonna smoke a couple coons....."

"I'm sorry; what?"

"Aunt Della gonna roast a couple coons, Man."

"Aunt Della from Ludowicci?"

"Aunt Della from Ludowicci."

Aunt Della from Ludowicci can roast a coon.  I mean she can _roast_ a coon!  Best damned coon I've ever eaten, and the only coon I've ever had that isn't greasy.  Her possum was positively delightful, too (the secret, she claimed, was grain feeding them a couple of weeks before killing them).

"What time you want me?"

Skip ahead nearly two weeks:

We've had a lot of fun, singing, dancing, playing football, and trying to get me to play basketball.  To describe how that went, keep in mind that at a much later reunion, it was suggested that the then-current movie should have been called "White Men's Feet are Sewed to the Floor."  I am full as a tick on Boston Butt, ribs, possum, duck, and I'm working the bones of the last bit of coon on my plate.  Robert had gotten up to "get us some more beer"  (Robert, like his father's side of the family, had a penchant for malt liquor, which....  well, it's not good.  Fortunately, I had brought a couple cases of actual beer (well, American beer, but _NOT_ malt liquor) and four gallons of sweet tea, so I had options).)

A couple minutes later and I hear a voice "Hey, Robert!  What kind of secrets are in your family?  I think you've got a Honky in the woodpile!"  I snorted (and nearly lost a bite of coon!)  I recovered, swallowed, grinned and turned to look at the funny man.  Robert was standing there with his cousin.  "Duke; this my cousin: Charley Pride."

And damned if it wasn't.

I didn't know what do-- I tried to stand, talk, apologize, shake hands, and hold a coon shank kind of all at once.  None of it was working.  Every part of me was trying to do its own thing: it wasn't a star-struck thing, folks; I'm just not wired that way.  It was just _shock_.  I mean-- Robert's cousin was Charley Pride!  It was-- it was _neat_!   :)

So I finally just gave up trying to do _anything_, and stood there, still processing--

it's weird.  Nothing had really prepared me for that.  Robert really should have told me his cousin was Charley Pride; he really should have.

I'm standing there, convincing my brain to reboot, beer in one hand, coon shank in the other.  Finally, I had sense enough to slowly and carefully set them bth on the picnic table, wipe my sandwich scoops, and stare at this total stranger, doing my best impression of a fly trap.

"So, uh, whose the white guy, Robert?"

"I uh..."  finally I half turned and gestured at the table behind me.  "I came for the coon!" I damned near screamed, causing him to burst into eye-watering laughter.

"Hell, I've been called worse."  He stuck out a hand.  "I'm Charley Pride.   Nice to meet ya."

Greatest day of my entire life.

(Don't tell my wife; she has this crazy notion that this honor belongs to our wedding day.  Weird, right? )

I attended several family reunions after that.  Turns out Charley Pride is exactly the guy you think he is: humble, hilarious, and a lot of fun.

Eventually I moved, Robert moved, and life went on.  I still think about him-- we used to be pretty tight-- but you know how life goes.

I'm going to see if I can find Robert's number.  You folks have a good evening.

Sweden’s Heart Aerospace aims to deliver an electric plane specifically designed to ply routes linking remote Scandinavian settlements within six years.

In other news, Heart Aerospace is expected by the end of the week to announce an exclusive marketing deal for the new aircraft through Ikea.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/nordic-nations-set-pace-in-electric-planes-after-green-cars-push/ar-BB1bSUMo?pfr=1

20 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

Yuck....just...yuck.

- This doesn't really seem to be a confirmation, just rumor.

- I have no desire to see a complete Firefly reboot with a new cast.  That.  Cast.  Was.  Perfect

- The story seems to suggest they will make a kid friendly, Firefly-lite.  See, this is how you screw things up big time.  Buy a property, then make a half-a$$ version of said property and slap the name on it just doesn't work.  All you do is pi$$ off the original fans.

On 12/15/2020 at 1:39 PM, Starlord said:

.  See, this is how you screw things up big time.  Buy a property, then make a half-a$$ version of said property and slap the name on it just doesn't work.  All you do is pi$$ off the original fans.

Sorry.

Thought you were talking about Teen Titans Go there....

I mean, its so _right_ to have been about Teen Titans Go.....