Good Pulp Movies to watch

voodoo54

I think at some point there’s going to be a subsection of Disney films...”The Ride Movies”.   Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Tomorrowland and now Jungle Cruise.  In the Before Times movies used to inspire rides and other attractions.  Frontierland came about from the success of the Davy Crockett films. The Dumbo flying elephant ride also comes to mind. 
  Even with the critical and monetary success of these, I’ve never been comfortable with situations where business created the art.  Not supported, but created.  
“OK guys, accounting says we’re shelling out a bundle for copyrights on these rides.”  “So let’s come up with something based on them to generate new capital for the corporation.”  “Bobby whatta ‘ya got for me?...Go!”   “Uhhhh...Waiting Line: The Movie!?!”   “Huh, we don’t have that copyright yet, but you’re on the right track!”  “Jimbo, what have you got?”

On 8/8/2021 at 10:11 PM, Tjack said:

I think at some point there’s going to be a subsection of Disney films...”The Ride Movies”.   Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Tomorrowland and now Jungle Cruise.

The Country Bears got a movie, and I'm fairly sure the "Mission to Mars" movie with Gary Sinise was a ride spinoff as well.

Then there was that Tomorrowland movie which wasn't as direct a ride-to-movie but is sorta broadly inspired.

• 2 months later...

I posted a link to this on this thread a while back, but as that link is now moribund I guess it bears repeating: Flash Gordon The Greatest Adventure of All is an animated movie created by Filmation in 1979, which was the basis for their watered-down NBC Saturday-morning cartoon series. The movie itself was finally shown in its entirety on prime-time television in 1982.

This is one of the most faithful adaptations of the style and characters of the original comic strips ever committed to film, much more mature than the series version. The voice acting is top-notch, and the animation is high quality and ground-breaking for the era.

A VHS version of the movie has been uploaded to some websites in the past, but this upload is reportedly from a rare laserdisc rip and is of higher quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw Whisperer in the Darkness (2011) last night. Shot in b/w and had a very 40-50s film to the camera work. The acting (to me) was a little wooden at times, trying to capture the older film genre a little too much. I liked the effects as well as the plot though. A folklorist from Miskatonic U. goes into the backwoods of Vermont to investigate findings of extra-normal beings. Typical fare of H.P. of the person dying or going mad at the end (I won't say which). If you're doing a CoC or Horror style campaign I would give it a watch, just not a re-watch.

1268672538_Screenshot2021-11-06at19-53-21TheWhispererinDarkness(2011).png.735f893819a83d4b9a1948492e7d7c95.png

• 1 year later...
On 7/15/2014 at 12:05 PM, death tribble said:

It occurs to me that the Fu Manchu films particularly with Christopher Lee are good ones. He plans on using a poison from seeds of the black hill poppy in one that can wipe out all life provided the temperature is below freezing and in another uses a transmitter to broadcast energy to destroy targets while kidnapping the daughters of scientists who he then blackmails into helping him set up the energy projector/transmitter.

Lee's Fu Manchu never has a problem with his daughter Lin Tang played by Tsai Chin. She is always wearing normal clothes and nothing scanty while Fu Manchu is always wearing robes and just speaks elegance.

The Mask Of Fu Manchu is especially thick with pulpy goodness.  This is Boris Karloff's only turn in the role, and he does quite well with it, as does Myrna Loy, who plays Fu's daughter Fah Lo See.  The casual racism is thick on both sides, as Fu uses every opportunity to proclaim, "Death to the white race!"  There's also a nifty scene in which Fu boils some large and exotic insects in blood to make a mind control serum.  

Everything you could ask for in a pulp story is right here, even if it is black and white instead of a garishly colored magazine cover.  And it was made when it was considered modern day adventure, instead of decades in the past.

49 minutes ago, ArmlessTigerMan said:

One scene has Corrigan putting two Atlanteans in double choke hold while they punch him ineffectually.  Not sure what type of martial maneuver to build to simulate that:

I think you'd need to give Corrigan some Damage Negation to represent overall toughness.

On 11/3/2023 at 4:29 PM, ArmlessTigerMan said:

Undersea Kingdom 
1936 with Ray 'Crash' Corrigan 

One scene has Corrigan putting two Atlanteans in double choke hold while they punch him ineffectually.  Not sure what type of martial maneuver to build to simulate that:

image.png.239c6caaae5afc264ca32f06c1e56837.png

And of course you have robots, rocket-subs, the undersea kingdom, etc...

You can sweep (Sweep isn’t the proper term now but I can think of what it is) a Chokehold and grab has many opponents as you have appropriate limbs. If you use the Hold the Two limbs then you must take a -5 STR because using One Limb is -5. If you use Hold One Limb then there is no reduction:

On 11/3/2023 at 5:22 PM, Lord Liaden said:

I think you'd need to give Corrigan some Damage Negation to represent overall toughness.

If you’re referring to him being punched by the two goons he’s holding then I think that there in the an automatic reduced damage or it could be be that really there is no damage but the sfx will s that they are still hitting but no mechanical damage.

• 2 months later...

Not a movie, but a Korean TV Series on Netflix. The Ongseong Creature. It takes place in 1945 first in Manchuria, and then in Korea, where nefarious Japanese Scientists are conducting human experiments on hapless Korean civilians collected on trumped up reasons, THe first Lab is destroyed, so the scientists move to a towns Hospital, the OngSeong hospital. Nearby is our hero, a well to do operator of the towns Pawn Shop, called the Palace of treasure. He is known as someone who can get the right information, item, or person for the right price.  Charming, and sharply dressed he is a stand out in the community.  Entering the scene are a pair from Manchuria, a father and daughter "sleuths" (Bounty Hunters), looking for a particular woman, who has ben missing for 10 years.  And then there is the monster.... It has the whole group of types in the casst. THe corrupt policemen. Angry Japanese Soldiers, a Femme Fatale, Revolutionaries, and the town's "Network"
. All in all, well acted and very pulp.