Invaders from another dimension...

Epiphanis

Invaders from another dimension...  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Istvatha V'han invades Champions Earth, with the PCs opposing. She sends an elite team drawn from her infinitely varied realms to oppose them. Which would be the coolest team to send?

• An eclectic team of original characters drawn from various weird genres and races (e.g., a martial artist, a centaur, an anthropomorphic animal, a robot, and a hyper intelligent shade of the color blue)
    • Otherdimensional doppelgangers of the heroic PCs themselves.
    • A team that is identical to a major team of "Big Two" publisher superheroes, like the Avengers or Justice League, whose dimension has fallen and are now loyal to V'han.
    • A more obscure superteam drawn from published comics, possibly Indy/small press, like The Mystery Men, DP7, Consolidators.
    • Golden age superheroes who had been published but since become public domain.
    • Superheroes published in other RPGs, such as the Mutants & Masterminds or Silver Age Sentinels.
    • Superheroes previously published in earlier editions of Champions itself, but who have apparently been dropped from recent-edition continuity (e.g., Seeker, Rose, etc.)

I voted 3 as its probably the easiest and most obviously fun version. 1 sounds intriguing but i think would be difficult to role-play well. 2 could be a very interesting if your players are into character development  fining out how the other them became that way not to mention trying to beat there own allies might be fun. unless the players are into obscure or golden age heroes i doubt it will be that interesting for them equally unless they are long time players i doubt the older version heroes will; be interesting plus more work to convert than to use the many versions of mains stream heroes available.

I voted 1 because, if you have Vol. 2 and 3 of the Champions Villains trilogy, and Book Of The Empress, you have everything you need. Pp. 54-58 of BOTE provides alternate names and (often very) brief changes to the backgrounds and SFX of every villain in those books, to make them members of V'han's Imperial Battalion. You can mix-and-match to make them appropriate foes for any group of PCs.

I'm really just interested in the coolness factor, I can work out logistical/mechanical issues well enough. I suspect the prevalence of Champions grognards here skews the results toward option 7.

One thing I considered was a "Squadron Sovereign", a version of Marvel's Squadron Supreme/Squadron Sinister, which are themselves pastiches of DC's Justice League. That way I could infringe on the IP rights of both Big Two companies simultaneously!

I'm really just interested in the coolness factor, I can work out logistical/mechanical issues well enough. I suspect the prevalence of Champions grognards here skews the results toward option 7.

Could be. :yes: 

Since you put it as an option I thought it was an option you thought your players would enjoy.

One thing I considered was a "Squadron Sovereign", a version of Marvel's Squadron Supreme/Squadron Sinister, which are themselves pastiches of DC's Justice League. That way I could infringe on the IP rights of both Big Two companies simultaneously!

This is for a future pickup game, I don't know who will be playing. I would like the team to be thematically unified, whatever it is.

Given the above, I would choose #3. Characters familiar to anyone who knows comic-book superheroes, with the serial numbers filed off, will probably elicit the strongest response.

"Doppelgangers" might be interesting, IF -

Either

Names and costumes and so forth are changed enough that the players will take a while to recognize their own characters underneath cosmetic changes (if they ever do)

or

Both groups are SO identical it causes confusion on the battlefield as people hit their allies and help their enemies constantly.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says, we can have golden age public domain heroes? That's Amazing, Man!

If you're going to use Marvel or DC characters, I'd suggest throwing the PCs up against the group one at a time.  They likely can't take on the Justice League, but maybe the group can take out Wonder Woman by herself.  The high-powered heroes should scatter to the corners of the Earth, each one doing some major important task to aid the invasion.  That will give the players a "holy crap!" moment when they see DynaMan (or whatever you call him) throwing Dr. Destroyer's unconscious (lifeless?) body to the ground on live TV.  They realize how powerful these guys are, and that the only people who are left to stop them are the PCs.  Seeing Amazon Woman holding an aircraft carrier in her hands and flying over the US Capitol, demanding surrender, should drive home exactly what kind of threat they're facing.

Of course they can't handle them all at once, so you have a series of sessions where they try to beat them one at a time, find out their weaknesses, etc.  Maybe the Ultra League are mind controlled, or they're actually still heroic but they're invading because otherwise their own world will be destroyed.  Or maybe the players will have to travel to the Ultra League's homeworld to find a piece of the rare radioactive element that can harm DynaMan.

But V'han is the hero come to liberate Earth, the PCs are just unwitting pawns of evil, oppressive governments that want to stay in power at any cost.  :yes:

And the V'hanian Empire is rife with innumerable citizens, soldiers, and superheroes, who sincerely believe almost exactly that. Given the significant benefits that Istvatha has brought to countless worlds, their viewpoint is neither ignorant nor unreasonable.

So mind-control, brainwashing, coercion, or deception are unnecessary for even true heroes to serve V'han. (Although she's certainly not above using those methods if necessary to press-gang someone she wants.)