Agents Of SHIELD!

wcw43921

Once again I'm forced to compare and contrast between D.C.'s Legends of Tomorrow.

In Legends they jump six months after the last episode and Sarah is working at a Linens story, Ray is working for a dating site, Rory is in Aruba (where he runs into Julius Caesar, Amaya is in 1942, Nate is a superhero and depressed, and I forget what Firestorm is doing.

And they were all far more interesting then SHIELD.

The first couple of episodes of Legends were so bad I couldn't stomach the thought of watching another minute of it. Given the banter between the Legends characters during the CW crossover events I've seen, I feel I made the right decision. In fact, all of the CW superhero shows except Supergirl became unwatchable to me a couple of seasons ago. I don't regret giving up on any of them one bit.

Agents of SHIELD, on the other hand, pretty much improved with every season, despite a few clunker episodes here and there and some concepts that really didn't make sense (e.g., the Darkhold).

I don't watch Legends, I tried it and didn't enjoy it much,  and I don't want to compare the two because that is a slippery slope.

But that 17-min preview is epic.  I loved just about everything about it.  Mac was laugh out loud funny.  Coulson is his perfectly dry wit.  May is badass.  Exciting.  Dramatic.

Agents of SHIELD gets a lot of hate for reasons I don't understand.  Feel free to watch Legends, I won't judge. 

• 3 weeks later...

They missed an opportunity with this premise:

Why Quake, Destroyer of Worlds? Again? 

Why not Black Bolt?

It was set up in Inhumans that his voice as he matured could possibly  "Break a planet", it ties into the Kree presence (the cliffhanger at the end of Inhumans season one with the beacon activating), Kasius is getting a hold of terrigan *somehow* to try and create Inhumans.

Maybe there's a writer of AoS out there that would shout 'Dude, spoilers!' at that notion and that's indeed the ultimate aim (maybe they're who is on the surface, since they have/had the technology to live in a cloaked dome on the moon... but given the way the show has treated tie-in plots before I doubt it.

I'm ok with it as is but I hope they're planning something trickier or less clear cut...

• 1 month later...

Yeah, it has been a strong season. 

The time travel aspect has been particularly interesting since AoS has been taking the stand that the future it set in stone.  Because while this the first season which has actual time travel, there have been people who could see the future since season 2, and their statements about the future have always come to pass.  Now, they are in a place where they absolutely have to change the past/future and the fate of the planet is riding on it.  I'm certain that they have figured a way out for of the whole destruction of the planet thing. but I doubt they do it by ignoring the rules about the time that they have already established.  So, I'm very curious how they are going to pull off this trick.

Also, since we are talking about A0S, didn't Ming-Na Wen give a strong performance last episode?  It is always cool to see the softer sides of Melinda May's personality.  IMHO, that was one of the best episodes in the entire series.

20 minutes ago, zslane said:

Really? This is my least favorite season. It's afflicted with one drab location, a boring storyline (involving incomprehensible time-travel nonsense no less) and cheesy, one-note clichéd villains. The first season run-up to the Hydra reveal was better than this. Ugh.

I think they're recycling Firefly scripts.

2 hours ago, DasBroot said:

Alright, let's see how they wrap this up.  Liked the season so far, overall, but there are aspects of the closed loop that bother me.

So... time for them to break into cyberdyne systems to get the arm and processor chip and throw them into a vat of molten iron.

They can't do that.....Coulson's using it.