Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I would love to see them rescue Carol Danvers' reputation and persona, make her less an awful, unlikable person and show more of her doing great stuff for people and showing some humanity once in a while.  Not stealing some dude's bike because he hit on her, for example.

And tons of stuff they could do with Asgard, if they took it seriously as a sci/fantasy setting.]

I would personally avoid at all costs any remotest idea of doing "stuff that happened during the blip" and pretend it never happened, personally.  All it does is create serious continuity and moral conflicts.

Sam Raimi says he didn't have Doctor Strange 2's ending until more than halfway through filming

https://www.avclub.com/sam-raimi-doctor-strange-multiverse-of-madness-wandavis-1848864286

“I think the hardest part was the time deadlines,” Raimi says while talking up the challenges on the film. “Not having the story or the script [ready] … being halfway into it and not knowing what the ending was. Michael’s trying to stay a couple days ahead of us with the next page coming out of his computer printer, and it’s hard because you want to make sure that everything is supporting the whole—that the themes are running through the picture. But when you don’t quite know everything about the picture, it’s hard to do that job as effectively as possible.”

(Among other things, Raimi notes that the film’s tight timetable meant he was sometimes forced to settle for less ambitious shots than he might normally have gone with. “What I should be doing with every shot and every moment, thinking ‘What’s the best technique?’ Not simply ‘We’ve got to make the schedule, put it on a crane. I know it can work from there. It may not be the absolute best choice, but we’ve got to keep momentum going for this unit, because I’ve got to get off this stage by five o’clock today, and they’re going to tear it down.’”)

Here’s Raimi talking about creative freedom, MCU style:

Marvel allowed me complete creative freedom. However, it had to follow so many things in Marvel lore, [so] even though I had complete freedom, the previous movies and where Marvel wants to go in the future really directed the path in an incredibly specific way. Within those parameters I have freedom, but I’ve got to tell the story of those characters in a way that ties in with all of the properties simultaneously. We had to make sure, for instance, that Doctor Strange didn’t know more than he had learned about the multiverse from No Way Home. And yet we had to make sure he wasn’t ignorant of things that he had already learned. So everything was dictated by what had become before.

'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness' Cast and Sam Raimi Discuss Ever-Changing Scripts and Wanda's Emotional Journey

https://collider.com/doctor-strange-in-the-multiverse-of-madness-benedict-cumberbatch-elizabeth-olsen-sam-raimi-interview/

SAM RAIMI: There were really a lot of Marvel movies being made when we made the Spider-Man movies. Kevin was also working on the X-Men movies and the Iron Man movies. Kevin and his boss, Avi Arad, were already developing the Marvel Cinematic Universe, even back then. So, I was very fortunate to get that directing job. I love Spider-Man. I’m glad I had a moment in helping be one of the first MCU movies.

MICHAEL WALDRON: We got the script done and just stuck to it. It was done early on. We never changed it.

WALDRON: We had a locked script. It was really easy. No. 

RAIMI: The script would often change minutes before [shooting]. The actors are very creative.

OLSEN: That’s a euphemism for opinionated.

RAIMI: Yeah, they’re opinionated. They know their characters better than anybody. They’ll recognize, in playing a scene, that something feels untrue or like a manipulation, and that it could be more real, so we’d make changes in the moment, trying to riff on that very good idea. When you’ve got great team members, as a director, you really wanna pull the best of their ideas together and make something better than you could have made on your own. That’s exactly what working on this movie was like for me – great actors, great ideas, and a script that was constantly changing. It was a very lively process. […] We had plenty of questions that Michael had to take into the script in the moment and that change rippled through our movie. For a writer, it’s probably like improv is for an actor. These movies are reacting, making up and changing things, and you have to be in the moment and take it in and go with it.

Do you see the Kevin Feige memes on Twitter, after the leaks?

FEIGE: No.

They’re of you, looking over the shoulder of whatever it is, encouraging people not to spoil whatever it is.

FEIGE: They don’t work.

Spoilers for Multiverse of Madness:

Spoiler

IMO Wanda Maximoff, the Scarlet Witch, has joined the ranks of the MCU's premier villains, up there with Loki and Thanos. She's mighty, she's brilliant, she's utterly terrifying, yet her motivation for her atrocities is relatable and even sympathetic. She's a complex, contradictory, interesting character, and Elizabeth Olsen manifests all those contradictions with consummate skill.

We have a thread for Doctor Strange MOM if anyone else wants to post reviews there, but to address the basic plot of the film.

Spoiler

Wanda is a potential kidnapper, in more ways than one. Mostly everyone else is trying to stop her.