Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mantis's power level was very inconsistent in comics, but when depicted at her peak she was clearly superhuman. She learned her skills from the "Priests of Pama," derived from Kree martial arts refined over many millennia. Karnak's abilities were originally assumed to be due to being Inhuman, but a later official statement asserted his skill at finding weak spots was learned. I don't know what the company line is now.

Of course we have the Legion of Superheroes' Karate Kid, able to hold his own against Kryptonian-level opponents through pure skill.

Honestly I think the last thing movie goers watching a comic book film are going to ask is how reasonable someone's superpowers are or how they're able to do something another character cannot.

Is there any martial artist in Marvel comics that purely "learned" super powers like "chi blast" or "iron skin" or "dim mak" or anything?

Elektra.  She can do incredible stuff like leap into people's minds and blast people apart with chi shouts, and she has no special powers of her own, at least in the comics.

54 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Elektra.  She can do incredible stuff like leap into people's minds and blast people apart with chi shouts, and she has no special powers of her own, at least in the comics.

I've read a lot of comics, and I've never seen Elektra do these things. Clearly not her recent mini-series, or the late 90's version, nor the Miller Daredevil's. Was this the wacko Miller/Sienkiewicz stuff?

I'm not saying it isn't out there, but I don't remember Elektra doing that stuff at all. She has the typical unrealistic acrobatic and leaping and swinging abilities of all those types, yeah.

Now... mental powers as something that training can unleash... no problem. That is a common trope. But when you are suddenly flying and bouncing bullets and doing Superman level stuff because of martial arts... that gets a bit more frowny.

Just now, Matt the Bruins said:

Mantis might qualify, she's been able to bring down Thor with a nerve strike.

Wong and Dr. Strange are both skilled martial artists, but their powers seem to arise solely from sorcery rather than being esoteric expressions of martial arts.

I agree... I think the original Bronze Age Mantis is the closest Marvel has, and it muddies the mixture with Kree heritage and alien influenced martial arts, etc.

I think the only way to bring Shang-Chi into the MCU is with his own series, ala Daredevil, where the stories told don't involve him running into anyone with major superpowers. Of course, I don't have any faith that Marvel would do it right, not after the creative disaster that was Iron Fist. That show demonstrated to me that Marvel isn't interested in telling stories involving amazing martial arts deeply rooted in the traditions of Eastern mysticism.

6 minutes ago, zslane said:

That show demonstrated to me that Marvel isn't interested in telling stories involving amazing martial arts deeply rooted in the traditions of Eastern mysticism.

I put it down to a poor choice of showrunner for the genre. Maybe the new showrunner will do better. It'd certainly be hard to do worse.

4 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I put it down to a poor choice of showrunner for the genre. Maybe the new showrunner will do better. It'd certainly be hard to do worse.

I think there's a bit more to it than that. Marvel had an overriding agenda involving the setting up of The Defenders, even at the expense of telling a good Iron Fist story. Moreover, they didn't give the show the production schedule, budget, or lead actor to do the character justice. Scott Buck had no control over any of that, and the severe constraints he was under showed in the end product.

Switching showrunners for season 2 won't help much if it suffers from the same crippling constraints as season 1. But since there is no Defenders series to serve anymore, and since there is ample time to work on a better storyline, perhaps there is hope. I can't help but be fairly skeptical though.

4 hours ago, zslane said:

I think there's a bit more to it than that. Marvel had an overriding agenda involving the setting up of The Defenders, even at the expense of telling a good Iron Fist story. Moreover, they didn't give the show the production schedule, budget, or lead actor to do the character justice. Scott Buck had no control over any of that, and the severe constraints he was under showed in the end product.

Switching showrunners for season 2 won't help much if it suffers from the same crippling constraints as season 1. But since there is no Defenders series to serve anymore, and since there is ample time to work on a better storyline, perhaps there is hope. I can't help but be fairly skeptical though.

I didn't love season one of Iron First, but it was still better than a lot of crap shows I've run across of late. I too am skeptical, but overall I've enjoyed the Marvel Netflix-Verse more than the mainstream MCU (there are a few movies I really-really liked). And, I didn't hate the actor. I just though the entire "this show is about setting up the defenders and not about presenting iron fist" aspect hamstrung it from the outset. I'm hoping for the best. 

Yes to all of these comments about the Defenders. The PTB involved failed to recognize what made the Netflix shows so good... excellent writing, great acting, real characters with unique voices, great dialogue, powerful thematic cores... the things that make great drama/stories... all used to bring comic characters to life. With Iron Fist and the Defenders, they dropped a lot of that, creating a comic show property with proscribed elements stuck together to produce the next comic show property. Just, generally, not a good idea.

As for Scott Buck... maybe he was saddled with "Get this product rolled out!" with both Iron Fist and (ugh) Inhumans... but what he made was garbage in both cases and there is some responsibility on him. If he is just their "product manager guy" then ok, he does a job... but I won't be watching his shows (I mean products) in the future.