Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

5 hours ago, Greywind said:

Why would half the intestinal bacteria of those that remain disappear when 100% of the intestinal bacteria of those that were snapped went with them?

Indeed. Hollywood writers are not known for their math or logic skills.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain Marvel is very true to her comic book portrayal.  Carol Danvers has always been portrayed as a strong woman and a feminist ideal without actually being an outspoken feminist herself. The one time she wasn't( the Immortus plotline), she was being mind controlled. She's a female Hal Jordan with the arrogance and hard case attitude that her Air Force piloting and security background layered onto her tomboy personality. She's not very feminine or approachable in the comics either.   

Captain Marvel is very true to her comic book portrayal.

Her personality has varied significantly over the years, depending on the writer.  She's been rebooted like 5 times over time from Ms Marvel onward.

I agree that the film did a decent job of potraying her like she is presently in the comics: dour unfriendly, almost tyrannical.  That's not really what I meant.

What I meant is that they sold the last two marvel movies as "BLACK superhero!  WOMAN superhero!" instead of just "hey, fun movie about superheroes!" and then the writing was just not great in Captain Marvel so she was never challenged and a whole serious of ridiculous crap happened instead of clever, well-written, interesting stories and plots like most of the previous movies.  I mean you can pick out ones that weren't great in the past (Thor 2, Iron Man 3) but that's not really what the MCU should be using as its baseline.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Her personality has varied significantly over the years, depending on the writer.  She's been rebooted like 5 times over time from Ms Marvel onward.

I agree that the film did a decent job of potraying her like she is presently in the comics: dour unfriendly, almost tyrannical.  That's not really what I meant.

What I meant is that they sold the last two marvel movies as "BLACK superhero!  WOMAN superhero!" instead of just "hey, fun movie about superheroes!" and then the writing was just not great in Captain Marvel so she was never challenged and a whole serious of ridiculous crap happened instead of clever, well-written, interesting stories and plots like most of the previous movies.  I mean you can pick out ones that weren't great in the past (Thor 2, Iron Man 3) but that's not really what the MCU should be using as its baseline.

I see your point and it makes sense, especially when the BLACK superhero move was done so well. I think they were really trying to make her movie almost a female top gun, but then wanted to tack on that she is A - the most powerful super (though possibly Stormbringer Thor and Doctor Strange could give her a run) and B - that they wanted to really make sure to chime in on right side of the Me Too movement going on. I don't really dislike the movie, and have even rewatched it. I do wish they would limit her power when she isn't actually near the Power(?) Stone, which is what gave her her power and was being used by the Kree scientist, iirc. Too me, it made that she could go toe to toe with Thanos make sense, as her power source was literally right in front of her.

I would point out, though it was started somewhat in the first movie, that Ant Man and the Wasp was basically a Women's Power movie also. Compared to Hope, Scott came off as a goof and inept. Then they gave him the BIG (pun intended) moment at the end.

I would point out, though it was started somewhat in the first movie, that Ant Man and the Wasp was basically a Women's Power movie also. Compared to Hope, Scott came off as a goof and inept.

I agree, It was 90% wasp and just a tiny bit of Ant Man, whose only real moment came by him... not being Ant Man.

And I'm not super fond of this version of the Wasp either, but whatever, I guess they figured she should be waspy rather than fun and cute.  I mean, the Wasp in Earths Mightiest Heroes was very capable and independent and interesting but didn't have to be a nad crushing scold in the process.

Keep in mind that part of Hope's "nad-crushing" in AMATW was prompted by feeling betrayed by Scott while the two of them were romantically involved. Wasp for most of the character's existence has been flighty and flippant and pretty sexualized. That last wouldn't fly too well in today's social climate, while they already have Paul Rudd for the first two.

Regarding Falcon and Winter Soldier...

Despite the hints...I think they'll throw a swerve and have Bucky end up with the shield. Why? Falcon already has his own identity that he's pretty comfortable with. Bucky has an identity he wants to leave behind. How better to do that than to take up the mantle of Cap? Now...there will certainly be some hiccups on the way, but I think that's where they will end up. Sam will come to realize he doesn't need to defend Cap's legacy as he has his own. Bucky will get the chance at redemption he needs.