Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

56 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I'm not sure if black with yellow accents really counts as "bright", but sure.  More colorful than Yukio's outfit anyway.

I'm not sure if I'd call the swath of yellow down the middle of the costume an "accent."

negasonic.jpg

Though it does look like they have slightly less yellow on the Deadpool 2 costume (had to Google it, haven't seen yet), but much brighter yellow. And there are some screenshots of her wearing a mostly black outfit. I'm not sure which those are from. I remember the one above from the first movie.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Bazza said:

Yep. It is nice that the director wanted the comic book brought to life and keep its aesthetic. Though I'm still unhappy with the adaption of the Grandmaster. 

16 hours ago, Starlord said:

Serious Grandmaster wouldn't have worked in that movie....at all.

Looking at TR just for what it gave us, without considering whether it should have or not... I completely agree. But given that he's been introduced this way, I hope both Goldblum's Grandmaster and Del Toro's Collector survived the ends of their films and show up together in some future movie. The prospect of those two weirdos playing off each other fills me with glee. :D

I suspect that Kevin Feige is waiting until after the next Spider-Man movie comes out to roll out Phase 4 and discuss what will be done with the X- and FF franchises.  The easiest way to work them in, I think, is with some kind of temporal "reset" as a result of Infinity War/Annihilation.  I mean, there's two Quicksilvers(one dead), among other things that would need a "fix". They can either reboot/restart all the X-Men stuff, or they can try to weave in the existing continuity.  Assuming they're not releasing 5-6 films per year, Marvel Studios will have to make some hard choices about what films to make, in what order.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Looking at TG just for what it gave us, without considering whether it should have or not... I completely agree. But given that he's been introduced this way, I hope both Goldblum's Grandmaster and Del Toro's Collector survived the ends of their films and show up together in some future movie. The prospect of those two weirdos playing off each other fills me with glee. :D

That would be absolutely fantastic. A battle of champions/contest between those two would be hysterical.

12 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

I suspect that Kevin Feige is waiting until after the next Spider-Man movie comes out to roll out Phase 4 and discuss what will be done with the X- and FF franchises.  The easiest way to work them in, I think, is with some kind of temporal "reset" as a result of Infinity War/Annihilation.  I mean, there's two Quicksilvers(one dead), among other things that would need a "fix". They can either reboot/restart all the X-Men stuff, or they can try to weave in the existing continuity.  Assuming they're not releasing 5-6 films per year, Marvel Studios will have to make some hard choices about what films to make, in what order.

Yeah, if I had to guess, revealing the Phase 4 films will tell us something about the end of Infinity War.  They probably keep all that quiet until after the movie is released.  Then we'll know if Cap and Iron Man die, and who is coming back, etc.  A Hugh Jackman/Robert Downey Jr movie would make a gajillion dollars, so I'm sure Marvel is dreaming of that.  But I don't know if the actors are willing to come back and do another one.  Phase 4 is probably dependent on which actors they can get to return.

I think the biggest challenge Marvel will face is going to be convincing audiences to stick with the movies after the current crop of stars bow out.  Will people really come in to see Paul Bettany, Elizabeth Olsen, Anthony Mackie, and Jeremy Renner?  Can they continue The Avengers with those characters?  I think they're going to have to start over and build up a different aspect of the universe.  Go back to individual character movies and slowly build them up to crossovers again.

For starters, what we know is the Marvel Studios is mum about any post Phase Three plans except for 1) Spider-Man Far From Home which takes place DIRECTLY after Avengers 4. 2) And that Guardians 3 has been delayed. 3) Unofficially, Black Widow, Eternals, Doctor Strange 2, and Black Panther 2 are going ahead. 

Marvel Studios has officially stated that their #1 present objective is to complete their Phase Three films, and is keeping any additional announcements until next year. Perhaps this means before Avengers 4, or after. This "no announcements until next year" policy was the reason given why Marvel Studios skipped Comic-Con this year. 

As as much as fans like me WANT to know what is happening, Marvel is keeping its cards close to its chess. 

Now that Disney has acquired Fox and Marvel Studios can make "Fox Marvel" films, means that Marvel Studios can factor in these films going forward with the MCU. This is, if there is an MCU after Avengers 4. 

We know that there are certain release dates that Marvel reserves, more or less, each year for the release of their MCU movies. It becomes a fairly simple matter of making educated guesses as to which films they will slot where/when after Spider-Man: Far From Home.

As for mutants in the MCU, I believe Feige has intimated that they already exist but they haven't been explicitly called mutants (yet). Scarlet Witch, for instance. It will eventually be revealed that the Mind stone unlocked her X gene. Future Phase 4 movies will re-introduce the Celestials and further develop their role in planting the X gene in humanity long ago (the Eternals movie could very well be where this development happens).

Regardless of how they decide to bring mutants (and the X gene) into the MCU, they will not use any of the previous X-Men franchise actors. I think people should just wipe that notion from their minds. And you know what? I am perfectly fine with that. A clean slate here gives Feige a chance to cast Storm and Jean Gray correctly for once, and to finally cast a Wolverine with the same physical stature as the one in the comics.

Honestly, I think the Sleeper hit may end up being Spider-Man into the Spiderverse . It seems kid friendly, embraces the craziness of superheroes rather than running from it, and has a Spider-Man (or Gwen) for everyone.

Of course, as far as I know, that's all Sony's baby not Disney but if it takes off like I think it should, Disney execs are going to be salivating to try to get the Spider Properties even more so under their sway

Hmm, wasn't there a thing about them doing the secret war or something after this? It occurs to me, they could set it up that the "skrulls" who infiltrated did manipulate events to create the Accords, causing, as was said earlier, the dismantling of the one group, that if whole, might have been able to stop Thanos or any other invasion.

I should say, I hate the shapeshifters infiltrating highest level of government storylines. It is why I stopped watching DS9. If their shapeshifting is that good and you can't tell them apart, they have already won.

I think Secret Invasion is the comics storyline that most closely matches what Phase 4 is shaping up to be.

I know the Russos mentioned Secret Wars in an off-hand comment once, but Feige doesn't really need anything so elaborate to bring mutants, the X-Men, and the Fantastic Four into the MCU. As the MCU gets more cosmic, and entities like the Celestials and the Eternals enter the fray, a through-line to the X gene becomes clearly established. And as the Quantum Realm becomes more of a thing in the MCU, it becomes an convenient device for reimagining the origin stories of teams like the Fantastic Four.

4 hours ago, massey said:

Yeah, if I had to guess, revealing the Phase 4 films will tell us something about the end of Infinity War.  They probably keep all that quiet until after the movie is released.  Then we'll know if Cap and Iron Man die, and who is coming back, etc.  A Hugh Jackman/Robert Downey Jr movie would make a gajillion dollars, so I'm sure Marvel is dreaming of that.  But I don't know if the actors are willing to come back and do another one.  Phase 4 is probably dependent on which actors they can get to return.

I think the biggest challenge Marvel will face is going to be convincing audiences to stick with the movies after the current crop of stars bow out.  Will people really come in to see Paul Bettany, Elizabeth Olsen, Anthony Mackie, and Jeremy Renner?  Can they continue The Avengers with those characters?  I think they're going to have to start over and build up a different aspect of the universe.  Go back to individual character movies and slowly build them up to crossovers again.

Well, Marvel still has Spider-Man, and Black Panther is now a guaranteed draw. I'd say the prospects for another Thor movie are hopeful -- his last two film appearances have really renewed fan interest in the character, and Hemsworth's willingness to make another one. Dr. Strange also got a major coolness boost from Infinity War. The long-awaited Black Widow movie is finally in development. If the third Guardians of the Galaxy movie overcomes recent controversy, and Captain Marvel sticks her landing, I would say prospects for Phase 4 look good.

For me at least, the wonder and joy at having comics come to the big screen has faded away completely and now I'm just waiting to see if this one sucks or not.  Marvel has taken some big swings and missed, badly, several times and they are looking at lot less bulletproof to me.  Avengers 2 and 3 made bank but were not very good movies at all. Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 were terrible, etc.

On 10/27/2018 at 9:53 AM, Christopher R Taylor said:

For me at least, the wonder and joy at having comics come to the big screen has faded away completely and now I'm just waiting to see if this one sucks or not.  Marvel has taken some big swings and missed, badly, several times and they are looking at lot less bulletproof to me.  Avengers 2 and 3 made bank but were not very good movies at all. Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 were terrible, etc.

I generally agree with you on this.  I liked Avengers 3, but yeah Age of Ultron wasn't that great.  Agreed on Iron Man 3 and Thor 2.

At this point, I'm basically prepping myself to check out of the MCU.  I'm kinda done.  I'll see Avengers 4, but there's no guarantee I'll see anything else.  I am still working up the urge to see Ant Man 2 (I missed it in theaters and don't want to have to buy it just to watch it).  Captain Marvel isn't really grabbing my interest either.

This is not really a criticism of Marvel Studios -- they've done an amazing job and I never thought a movie universe like this was possible.  The complete failure of every other shared universe that copycats have attempted proves how difficult it is.  It's just that my appetite for superhero movies is completely sated at this point.  There have been almost 20 Marvel movies so far, and that doesn't include the X-Men films or the other Spider-Man movies, or the early 2000s films (Affleck's Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Hulk).  I'm burned out, just like I'm burned out on zombie movies.

Movies like Ant Man actually appeal to me more than their big ticket items: its small, fun, and just like the comics.  I'm not burnt out on superhero films, I'm burnt out on the big event like I got quickly burnt out in comics.  Tell a good story, don't feel compelled to make it something else. Crossovers get annoying swiftly.

I can agree with that to some degree. I can't say Ant-Man is my favorite Marvel movie, but it's up there in the top 5 for me, and part of it definitely SURPRISED me how much I enjoyed it. Nice Heist story with powers, plus enjoyable protagonist, good casting, etc and yeah, the consequences were, dare I say it 'small' ;) Oh sure, super lethal shrinking assassins for the highest bidder would be a 'bad thing' but ultimately it was not a world shattering event. 

1 hour ago, massey said:

Ant Man 2 (I missed it in theaters and don't want to have to buy it just to watch it).

I noticed Ant Man2 on a Red Box machine I walked by yesterday, so they either have it or it'll be on it soon. If you haven't used Red Box before, then setting up a new account might net you a freebie rental. They tend to give away either free rentals (for DVD, but not much to upgrade to Blue Ray) or two-fer deals on a regular basis. Also fairly cheap with no deals.