DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

One article, from a while back, I read about what Marvel does right and DC gets wrong mentioned keeping the big "twist" a secret. Their example for DC was Justice League, where they made sure in all the teasers/trailers not to show Superman being in the movie, but then their PR people put out a poster with him front and center.

Similar, but a different article written after BVS and CA:CW. I agree with a lot of what he says: https://wdwnt.com/2016/06/editorial-what-marvel-gets-right-what-dc-gets-wrong-with-their-movies-and-vice-versa/

5 hours ago, Bazza said:

Not yet, but very close. Another $30 mill ought to do it. 

True for total box office (foreign and domestic markets), with a note that the second largest market, China, doesn't get the film until May 11. North America domestic market has JL at a total of 229 million over 17 weeks, and Avengers: Infinity War at 250 million (projected) for this weekend.

Infinity War reminds me of those epic 70s disaster movies with every well-known genre actor and "a cast of thousands". It brings together everything that has been built into the MCU over the last ten years. Justice League, on the other hand, was the culmination of one good movie, one mediocre movie, and one bad movie. Performance comparisons between the two were always destined to be a source of profound embarrassment for DC.

I still don't think JL was a bad movie.  It was just par for the course for action films, with the usual emphasis on action and effects over plot and character development.  The problem is that the MCU is curb stomping all the rest of Hollywood put together, to the point where I worry about the long term effect on the film industry.

What might have been  .  .  .

Wonder Woman is called back to Themyscira by Queen Hippolyta who informs Diana that a grave threat was coming to the planet.  Hippolyta and the Amazons have been tasked by the Gods to protect the Magic Sphere which shows the future, and Diana is shown the threat, Darkseid.  Suddenly the Female Furies attack.  The Amazons fight valiantly but the Furies capture the Magic Sphere.

Wonder Woman goes to Batman and the pair begin recruiting new heroes to deal with the coming threat.  Batman finds Flash and Cyborg, and Wonder Woman recruits Aquaman.  The King of Atlantis reveals that his Trident is one of three items that Darkseid needs to get to Earth.  Meanwhile a group of Parademons raid Metropolis under the command of Steppenwolf and steal the body of Superman.

The Team tracks Superman's body because Batman had placed a tracker on it (just in case) and they are attacked by Steppenwolf, an army of Parademons, and the Female Furies.  In the battle the Furies managed to capture the third item needed to bring forth Darkseid, the Magic Lasso.  Using Superman's body as a focus the items open a portal that allows Darkseid to arrive on Earth.  Darkseid proceeds to defeat the rest of the team but the energy that was challenged through Superman's body has revived the Man of Steel who fights Darkseid giving the Justice League time to return the three items to their owners and causing Darkseid to leave Earth.

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

I still don't think JL was a bad movie.  It was just par for the course for action films, with the usual emphasis on action and effects over plot and character development.  The problem is that the MCU is curb stomping all the rest of Hollywood put together, to the point where I worry about the long term effect on the film industry.

Justice League was good. Even most of its critics agreed it was a step in the right direction. The real problem is that Warner needed it to be great. This was supposed to be the tentpole film for their whole shared cinematic universe. They sank an ungodly amount of money into it, between changes and reshoots, to try to make it great. They gambled on that hoping for a very strong critical and box-office response that would build momentum for future films. They got nowhere near what they needed.

5 hours ago, Cassandra said:

What might have been  .  .  .

Wonder Woman is called back to Themyscira by Queen Hippolyta who informs Diana that a grave threat was coming to the planet.  Hippolyta and the Amazons have been tasked by the Gods to protect the Magic Sphere which shows the future, and Diana is shown the threat, Darkseid.  Suddenly the Female Furies attack.  The Amazons fight valiantly but the Furies capture the Magic Sphere.

Wonder Woman goes to Batman and the pair begin recruiting new heroes to deal with the coming threat.  Batman finds Flash and Cyborg, and Wonder Woman recruits Aquaman.  The King of Atlantis reveals that his Trident is one of three items that Darkseid needs to get to Earth.  Meanwhile a group of Parademons raid Metropolis under the command of Steppenwolf and steal the body of Superman.

The Team tracks Superman's body because Batman had placed a tracker on it (just in case) and they are attacked by Steppenwolf, an army of Parademons, and the Female Furies.  In the battle the Furies managed to capture the third item needed to bring forth Darkseid, the Magic Lasso.  Using Superman's body as a focus the items open a portal that allows Darkseid to arrive on Earth.  Darkseid proceeds to defeat the rest of the team but the energy that was challenged through Superman's body has revived the Man of Steel who fights Darkseid giving the Justice League time to return the three items to their owners and causing Darkseid to leave Earth.

...except Superman was buried in Smallville...

Justice League was just an action movie with costumes. It had zero character development, a flat emotional arc (I felt nothing when Superman returned), and virtually nothing for the audience to become invested in. As a piece of action cinema it was functional, but as a piece of storytelling it was empty and uninspired.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently came across this sailing distances calculator and of course the first thing I used it for was to determine how far it is to sail from Athens to London.  Answer: 3300 nautical miles.  So it's entirely possible that Steve Trevor and Diana could have sailed from the Mediterranean to London in 12 hours, if they were being towed at 275 knots.

41 minutes ago, Old Man said:

I recently came across this sailing distances calculator and of course the first thing I used it for was to determine how far it is to sail from Athens to London.  Answer: 3300 nautical miles.  So it's entirely possible that Steve Trevor and Diana could have sailed from the Mediterranean to London in 12 hours, if they were being towed at 275 knots.

While Steve was sleeping, Diana got out and pushed.

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

I just assumed that Themyscira exist in some alternate dimension and that the pair exited it a lot closer to London than Steve entered it.

2 hours ago, Greywind said:

Nowhere in the movie does it state how long their trip took. That it only seems like it took one night has more to do with editing than story.

Even though Steve apparently had no chance to coach Diana on what to expect or how to behave in London.  Perhaps they spent a week on the high seas in complete silence?

In a world where I'd never seen a post-Iron Man MCU movie... nope, I'd still have been let down by Justice League even if Man of Steel and Wonder Woman were the only decent superhero moves that had been made in the 21st century. It wasn't bad, but it was just a moderately enjoyable popcorn flick. Both Superman and Wonder Woman had solo movies that conveyed the sense of awe and grandeur superheroes should have. And considerably more engaging villains.

• 4 weeks later...