Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Near as I can tell there's only one person here who can't stop posting about Melania's high heels.  ;)

Meanwhile, the GOP-controlled Congress allowed the funding for healthcare for 9 million children to expire last week, and Melania's husband continues to sabotage Obamacare however he can, most recently by choosing not to enforce the ACA's contraception coverage mandate. 

Near as I can tell there's only one person here who can't stop posting about Melania's high heels.  ;)

That's your fault. Yes, yours. Your Hunger Games picture made me wonder if she was wearing one of her weirder getups, so I searched for her PR outfit and found that. Which then made me realize . . . OMG. Just commit me now.

Meanwhile, the GOP-controlled Congress allowed the funding for healthcare for 9 million children to expire last week, and Melania's husband continues to sabotage Obamacare however he can, most recently by choosing not to enforce the ACA's contraception coverage mandate.

Family values? By not coddling those children, they'll grow up to be good parents themselves, clearly.

Any news on  Fred Gwynne's Mueller's investigation progress? Maybe he can net a few congress critters while he's at it?

That's your fault. Yes, yours. Your Hunger Games picture made me wonder if she was wearing one of her weirder getups, so I searched for her PR outfit and found that. Which then made me realize . . . OMG. Just commit me now.

Family values? By not coddling those children, they'll grow up to be good parents themselves, clearly.

Any news on  Fred Gwynne's Mueller's investigation progress? Maybe he can net a few congress critters while he's at it?

He's taken over the FBI's investigation of the Steele dossier, and has interviewed Steele directly already.  Significant, because aside from the most salacious allegation, many of the allegations in the dossier have been subsequently corroborated.  What remains is the most significant allegation--collusion/coordination/conspiracy between the Trump campaign and the Russian Intelligence Service.  If they can prove that, they will need to rent a few buses for all the people going to jail.  Mueller's approach to Manafort and research into fighting pre-emptive pardons suggest his sights are set on the highest-level target, the President himself.  

I'm guessing the patriotic Mr. Carlson has never served his country in a military capacity. He doesn't seem to understand full auto fire.

We also have a Republican senator (Johnson, last paragraph) who doesn't understand how the NFA works.

The lack of informed opinions on the allegedly pro-gun side of things is disturbing. (Though not unexpected.)

I'm guessing the patriotic Mr. Carlson has never served his country in a military capacity. He doesn't seem to understand full auto fire.

We also have a Republican senator (Johnson, last paragraph) who doesn't understand how the NFA works.

The lack of informed opinions on the allegedly pro-gun side of things is disturbing. (Though not unexpected.)

Honestly i'd bet anyone who's been into gaming hardcore for a while, be it TTRPG or FPS, knows more about guns and using them than this plop does. Even a basic intelligence roll success should tell you that when firing into a huge, unsuspecting crowd from a great vantage point and just going for a random body count RoF beats out accuracy by several hundred miles. Any decent gamer who's ever planned out a tactical combat would know that.

In all fairness a lot of liberals don't exactly overflow with knowledge on guns either. On Bill Mayer's show after this atrocity a liberal long time congressman , harrold Ford, referred to a bump stock as a 'chip' they put in a gun to. Make it fire on full auto. Roll eyes.

Well I would in this case say the left is closer to being right, and I shall back up my assertion with logic.

Ford said a bump stock was a chip you out in a gun to make it fire full auto. This is somewhat wrote g as it's not a 'chip' and it does not make a gun fire 'full auto'. It is in fact a mechanical device added to certain semi auto rifles that drastically increase their RoF. So his statement while not completely true was at. Least somewhat accurate.

Carlson's statement that the bump fire system. May have saved lives is utterly and diametrically opposed to the truth and reality. The bump stock most certainly increased the body count by a huge margain.

The leftist's statement had a fair degree of truth to it even if it was inaccurate in some details. Far right pundit Carlson's comments we're absolutely false on every level and in every way. They we're not simply inaccurate but absolutely as far from the truth as possible.

BTW, either of these people could have easily eliminated their ignorance on the matter with a few moments of time and minimal effort.

Harold Ford would have known a bump stock is. Not a 'chip' and carslon would have known that one makes a gun far more lethal had they simply watched this easily available video demonstration.

https://youtu.be/5HU18eSECZc

Oh I do want to meganuke a myth about the Vegas shooting. Some people are saying that there had to be a conspiracy for the gunman to get 400lbs of guns and ammo into his hotel room.

I can say with some certainty this is utter scrapcode. I have attended various convebions thru my life and I can tell you it's a fact that it's quite common for several people to get a room and bring a lot of supplies with them. Clothing for a weekend, hygiene supplies, gaming materials and costumes, some of which are quite bulky and many of which have prop guns and armor, some quite large, with them.

Also some folks have room parties and bring supplies like audiovisual geat, room decorations, food and copious amounts of alcohol with them.

People, I stand atop a mountain of experience here and from it I can assure you that it's no trick at all to bring 400lbs of stuff into a hotel room without attracting so much as a sidelong glance while doing so.

There is no need for a conspiracy theory to explain how the gunman moved his 400lb arsenal into his hotel room, from long personal experience I can truthfully tell you large amounts of possessions are movies into hotel rooms around America on many weekends a year, every year.

So please disregard the inane conspiracy theory that he had to have help getting his gear onto his room.

This is to be expected, given their position. I mean, I don't expect much out of politicians and pundits on either side, but if you're on the pro-side of something, you should have some basic knowledge about what you're supporting.

Regardless of how much a politician knows or doesn't know, as long as they keep voting "correctly", those big fat checks just keep coming in.

Okay, here's what I still have trouble grasping: what exactly is the problem the Republican party sees with Obamacare? I mean, apart from it having been instituted by Democrats. What are the substantive issues which they believe have to be corrected? Has anyone articulated them in a coherent manner? Or is it wholly dogma-driven?

Can anyone explain, or point me to a source that does? Rationally, I mean?

I would be interested also...

As to Vegas hotel rooms they don't have hurricane windows since Vegas doesn't get hurricanes.

We do get windstorms, and wind speed does increase around tall buildings, so the glass is reinforced/tempered and usually has energy efficient coatings/laminates (Mandalay's windows were gold argon-filled panels to reflect heat, for example). That said, one of the reasons that the shooter was found so fast was that the gunfire set off the smoke detectors in the room. There are no "security systems" in the rooms, but there were probably cameras in the hallways and elevators. Mandalay Bay would have a bell desk, where he could get assistance with luggage up to the room. They frequently have conventions, so odd-shaped shipping boxes and bags wouldn't necessarily be suspicious. 

https://www.reviewjournal.com/weather/desert-winds-often-make-las-vegas-headlines-a-brief-history/