Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Makes me glad I have nothing to do with Facebook and Twitter.

Dean Shomshak

I'm not 100% sure that's a good thing. Maybe what we need is more real, reasonable people on Facebook (twitter can fall in a hole and die) to counter all the BS and misinformation. The Reality Based Community needs all the help it can get. Sometimes it's not easy, and sometimes it seems pointless, but these days it's more important than ever to keep control of the narrative.

Facebook is forever, and I'm a public servant. No thank you

Understood.

Actually everyone who uses FB should take care on some level. About a year and a half ago I "scrubbed" my FB feed of all references to my primary employer (the one on my profile is my own company) because of their draconian social media policies. Actually, I'm not sure they have a "policy" in any real sense; they tend to arbitrarily discipline employees for online activities, regardless of whether they're on their own time, using a private account, not speaking for the company in any way shape or form... you get the idea. Legally it's indefensible, but rank and file employees simply can't afford to take a billion-dollar company to court.

So... no talking about work online for me. Everything else is fair game, including politics.

Trump cannot open his damn mouth about Puerto Rico without mentioning the debt crisis there. *Sigh*

It seems to show to me where his priorities clearly are. 

Every accusation is a confession. . . 

My reaction to Trump is complicated by close family relations with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, which may explain why I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt about the "slow" response to the crisis. It is an island, it is in the middle of the sea --he's not wrong about that! The golfing is bad optics, but it's the kind of thing that narcissists do. ("It's okay when I do it!") It was when he trotted out the instinctive "Them dusky-hued folks is lazy" defence that I kinda lost it.

Every accusation is a confession. . . 

My reaction to Trump is complicated by close family relations with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, which may explain why I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt about the "slow" response to the crisis. It is an island, it is in the middle of the sea --he's not wrong about that! The golfing is bad optics, but it's the kind of thing that narcissists do. ("It's okay when I do it!") It was when he trotted out the instinctive "Them dusky-hued folks is lazy" defence that I kinda lost it.

All I know is that I thought I hit bottom in my capacity for contempt for this man a long time ago, and then I find out he's created another sinkhole to further the plummet of my ability to tolerate him. His negligence is culpable in death. He may not be the butcher of San Juan, but he certainly is the bystander to suffering and maybe even the voyeur.

China is an economic and political superpower with a permanent seat on the security council (and terrible human rights record).  They have aspirations of expanding their territory but are really, really unlikely to ever try and do so with military force (at least to anything they don't already claim, rightly or wrongly, to own)  - it would be too damaging to their economy and global interests.

With all that in mind frankly I'm of the opinion that if they ever wanted North Korea they can have it.  A base on each side of the new border and back to business as usual.

With Trump I am reminded of the joke about fitness reports on officers. Since my last report he has reached rock bottom, and has started to dig.

I cannot recall a more complete failure as President. And my memory goes back to Carter. I was aware of Nixon and Ford but I cannot honestly recall anything this bad.

All I know is that I thought I hit bottom in my capacity for contempt for this man a long time ago, and then I find out he's created another sinkhole to further the plummet of my ability to tolerate him. His negligence is culpable in death. He may not be the butcher of San Juan, but he certainly is the bystander to suffering and maybe even the voyeur.

"Butcher of San Juan" may be accurate. Reports indicate that the White House literally intended to do nothing to help PR and even now is only doing what cable news shames him into doing. And there are rumblings that the death toll is higher than reported because so many areas are still cut off. Way higher.

They're not a state and are worth 0 electorial votes.  I have no problem believing he would have preferred to pretend it was Over There and focus on the two states that ARE useful to him somewhere down the line.

For all his protests about the fake news lying main stream media he's easily manipulated or goaded into action by them.  Possibly these two things are related.

They're not a state and are worth 0 electorial votes.  I have no problem believing he would have preferred to pretend it was Over There and focus on the two states that ARE useful to him somewhere down the line.

For all his protests about the fake news lying main stream media he's easily manipulated or goaded into action by them.  Possibly these two things are related.

There are over 2 million Puerto Ricans living in the 50 states.  Presumably, they vote.  

I read that the Intensive Care units of most Puerto Rican hospitals were annihilated due to lack of power. Every single patient killed as their life support failed.

Just picture that for a second. Or, on second though, don;t. It's too frightening to bear.

That, I'm skeptical of.  Normally hospitals have emergency generator power for precisely that reason.  They would have had time to stabilize people, I'd think.  

The report on the ICU deaths comes from an uncorroborated tweet.

I really hope Michael's post is hyperbole.  But it might not be given that 51 out of 69 hospitals there were completely shut down for a week for want of power and fuel.  And that the others were only partially operational.  And that hospital morgues are filled to capacity. 

Now now...I'm sure that Michael will post some references for the information that he's citing.  Especially after being warned against posting hyperbole a couple of times now

I confess to not having an original source quite strong enough. There is this article on the crisis in PR hospitals  To be fair, the report I saw did not have the credibility it should have.

I shall now await your judgment.

They voted against it because it 'strongly deplores' the use of the death penalty in general as a violation of basic human rights and contains language about member states that currently use it look into phasing it out.

http://www.snopes.com/2017/10/03/united-nations-ban-death-penalty/

"As our representative to the Human Rights Council said last Friday, the United States is disappointed to have voted against that resolution. We voted against that resolution because of broader concerns with the resolution’s approach in condemning the death penalty in all circumstances, and it called for the abolition of the death penalty altogether. We had hoped for a balanced and inclusive resolution that would better reflect the positions of states that continue to apply the death penalty lawfully, as the United States does. The United States unequivocally condemns the application of the death penalty for conduct such as homosexuality, blasphemy, adultery, and apostasy. We do not consider such conduct appropriate for criminalization."

Bills get shot down because someone tries to attach something unacceptable to it.  This is no different.